street dogs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a lot of poor people need more help then street dogs....
people, unlike dogs, have some common sense and reasoning. they should be able to help themselves, not to mention that in the worst cases helping people is the job of the governmet, i already pay my taxes so those thieves should be able to do something about poverty.

ella, rabies is not so big in DR. sure, there are cases but most of infections worldwide happen in india, actually. DR has very little wildlife so rabies does not spread fast (generally rats and mice do not suffer from rabies, btw). in a case of the outbreak the response of dominican health department is to kill all animals running free in the area where infection happened. cruel but tends to work.

there is an oral vaccine far rabies available so it is possible to protect street animals without injecting them (not an easy task).

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I agree, dv8... the oral vaccine could be put in food and given to the street animals.

There is also very little rabies in Canada due to the mandated mandatory rabies vaccination requirement (although in some areas we are seeing an upswing in rabies in foxes, coyotes and raccoons so the virus is coming from somewhere). The actual cost of a rabies vaccine is very low and, if a SNR program was in effect, it could be a simple matter of giving that 3-yr vaccine while the animal was down for the spay or neuter.

In any event, I suspect it is a pipedream ...on the long list of social programs that would be nice to see, it is probably low on the list...

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
In Bayahibe we have Collares Rojo https://www.facebook.com/CollaresRojos/info who do great work spaying and neutering the strays and educating folk to look after their pets properly. They exist on goodwill and donations. They rescue, rehabilitate and rehome - we got our pooch from them. They do an amazing job with some of the poor strays they take in - a couple of weeks back they took in the worst case I've ever seen - the dog was a bag of bones plus some b@#$%d had thrown acid all over it. Now it's wounds are healing and it's enjoying life again :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In Bayahibe we have Collares Rojo https://www.facebook.com/CollaresRojos/info who do great work spaying and neutering the strays and educating folk to look after their pets properly. They exist on goodwill and donations. They rescue, rehabilitate and rehome - we got our pooch from them. They do an amazing job with some of the poor strays they take in - a couple of weeks back they took in the worst case I've ever seen - the dog was a bag of bones plus some b@#$%d had thrown acid all over it. Now it's wounds are healing and it's enjoying life again :)

Totally agree with you. Yanela is doing a terrific job in Bayahibe along with Dr. Malaret. I'm guessing you're talking about Amore? The recovery that dog has shown has been incredible! Not to mention Pita who lost a leg a few months ago and now looks like a brand new doggie :)

In Bavaro / Punta Cana we've now got Rescatame which is just starting up but has a group of very dedicated people too. Yanela is helping them get organized and between the 2 organizations I'm hoping a lot of dogs will be helped. Collares Rojos organizes spay & neutre campaigns every couple of months but needs donations to keep this going. They normally help around 50-60 dogs during each campaign. Look them up on the Facebook if you're interested in helping :)

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
Totally agree with you. Yanela is doing a terrific job in Bayahibe along with Dr. Malaret. I'm guessing you're talking about Amore? The recovery that dog has shown has been incredible! Not to mention Pita who lost a leg a few months ago and now looks like a brand new doggie :)

In Bavaro / Punta Cana we've now got Rescatame which is just starting up but has a group of very dedicated people too. Yanela is helping them get organized and between the 2 organizations I'm hoping a lot of dogs will be helped. Collares Rojos organizes spay & neutre campaigns every couple of months but needs donations to keep this going. They normally help around 50-60 dogs during each campaign. Look them up on the Facebook if you're interested in helping :)

Thanks for the link to Collares Rojos, yb1. Could you please post a link to Rescatame if you have one, KateP?

I spend my time on the north coast but am always happy to put my money where my mouth is.

Ella

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just shoot them once a month - any dog not in enclosede space.

pi2

If you had any credibility at all..............

It just went down the crapper............

It's Not the animals fault.............shoot the owners
!!!!!!!!

B in Santiago

Last edited:

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Padela does next to nothing, very minimal. If there could be a nationally recognized association it would get much more done and networking the dogs through the country to interested and appropriate owners would be much easier, and less costly for everyone in the long run.
But that won't happen.

PADELA is not assisting thousands of animals but the organization has been around since 1983 and it has been doing a tireless and thankless job for many years. Hundreds and hundreds of dogs and cats have passed through its doors, some being spayed or neutered, some nursed back to health and almost all put up for adoption. They do this with the help of volunteers and next to nothing in funding.

PADELA has done and is doing a great deal...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
PADELA is not assisting thousands of animals but the organization has been around since 1983 and it has been doing a tireless and thankless job for many years. Hundreds and hundreds of dogs and cats have passed through its doors, some being spayed or neutered, some nursed back to health and almost all put up for adoption. They do this with the help of volunteers and next to nothing in funding.

PADELA has done and is doing a great deal...

Padela does not home many dogs, it is that simple. I'm not knocking them, anything is better than nothing, but what it does do does not even reach the surface to scratch it. Last time I was in there they were keeping a boxer that had parvo and was very very unwell right next to a cage full of pups ontop of the other 2 cages,

For all the good will and intent in the world can not change facts, and fact is they don't have enough resources to do anything, and from seeing this not the volunteers with experience and/or education.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
Padela does not home many dogs, it is that simple. I'm not knocking them, anything is better than nothing, but what it does do does not even reach the surface to scratch it. Last time I was in there they were keeping a boxer that had parvo and was very very unwell right next to a cage full of pups ontop of the other 2 cages,

For all the good will and intent in the world can not change facts, and fact is they don't have enough resources to do anything, and from seeing this not the volunteers with experience and/or education.

What you are saying is not fact; it is your opinion.

So you stopped by PADELA and made an assessment of the organization. They have been working with stray animals for over 25 years (I was a volunteer for 3 of them) so please don't say they don't "scratch" the surface and they don't "home many dogs" because I would put the number in the hundreds.

Yes, PADELA has little funding and resources, so does every other animal organization in the Dominican Republic. Volunteers are not trained, but they donate their time for the welfare of stray animals - a major feat given the situation for strays and the general education towards them.

PADELA has created countless success stories for stray animals in the Dominican Republic - my dog included.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Going to be in Sosua all day tomorrow with Don (Santiagodr). Can we just walk in and take a look see.....
If so, where about is this shelter located......

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just shoot them once a month - any dog not in enclosede space.
pi2
yanandu, i must warn that wishing death on people (criminals, admitedly) on dr1 gets many likes. but wishing death on animals does not.
long time ago i learnt to have no respect or trust for those who do not care for animals.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Going to be in Sosua all day tomorrow with Don (Santiagodr). Can we just walk in and take a look see.....
If so, where about is this shelter located......

B in Santiago

If you are going to be in Sosua then the place that you want/ need to go to is Animal Rescue | Dog Adoptions Dominican Republic | Asociacin De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sosa, Inc. - take a look at their website to see just a little of the wonderful work undertaken by this non-profit charitable association.

Best time to call in would probably be in the morning but it may be better if you phone first to make sure you are expected. Contact 809 571 1167. Location is at Judy's Pet Lodge (next door to veterinarian, Dr. Bob) and the entrance is adjacent to Coastal Filling Station on the right hand side of the main road out of Sosua towards Cabarete.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thank you, will be getting in about 11 am and plan on making a day of it.
I love dogs and cats so this will be interesting........

B in Santiago