Stronger flu in DR?

Frank the Tank

May 12, 2005
I'm beginning to think that the flus there are much stronger. I came home with el gripe after my visit the first week of october. I'm still sick. I have been back 2 times since and maybe thats why I can't shake it. I start to feel good and then a few days later I'm sick again. Last weekend when I was there I got some medicine from the farmacia called Flutox. That seemed to work really well.

johne

Jun 28, 2003
I'm beginning to think that the flus there are much stronger. I came home with el gripe after my visit the first week of october. I'm still sick. I have been back 2 times since and maybe thats why I can't shake it. I start to feel good and then a few days later I'm sick again. Last weekend when I was there I got some medicine from the farmacia called Flutox. That seemed to work really well.
Hey Frank--isn't Flutox a laxative??? Maybe something got lost in the lanquage?

Just joking-get better.
john

Chris

Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Dominican gripe is the most gastly and repulsive flu in the whole wide world! Flu is usually a thing of taking sufficient liquids, look after your immune system, go to bed, rest and duke it out. But Dominican Flu does not let go! It hangs on and on! Coughing, sweating, fevers, and miserable hellishness!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dominican gripe is the most gastly and repulsive flu in the whole wide world! Flu is usually a thing of taking sufficient liquids, look after your immune system, go to bed, rest and duke it out. But Dominican Flu does not let go! It hangs on and on! Coughing, sweating, fevers, and miserable hellishness!
What else can be said?
That is the exact description.

johne

Jun 28, 2003
Just getting over

the flu here in NYC. Had it all week long with the same vergenace that has been posted here. Want to say only one thing about the use of antibiotics-It's true that the antibotics will not help the "flu" per say but in a great deal of cases (it is with me) the "flu" then attacks the lungs (with bacteria) and then the antibotics are needed. I started the 7 day (2 a day) treatment of Cipro 2 days ago. Will be done just in time for Thanksgiving.

Disclaimer:Not medical advise-just what I do.
john

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
the flu here in NYC. Had it all week long with the same vergenace that has been posted here. Want to say only one thing about the use of antibiotics-It's true that the antibotics will not help the "flu" per say but in a great deal of cases (it is with me) the "flu" then attacks the lungs (with bacteria) and then the antibotics are needed. I started the 7 day (2 a day) treatment of Cipro 2 days ago. Will be done just in time for Thanksgiving.

Disclaimer:Not medical advise-just what I do.
john
I could care less if some doctor disagrees, what you said is accurate.
The DR flu is renown for causing lung infections.
Nobody wants to take antibiotics without a valid reason, but they do serve a purpose.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Same as you got . I got this in STG Monday 5 and I was out of order Thursday 8 until yesterday.
Honey and crystal de sabila gave me an help.

As curlyq wrote it takes a week to cure a flu with prescription and 8 days without prescription.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
As far as I know, the strains of flu are no 'stronger' in one part of the world than another. There are three basic types of flu. I wonder if some people have had Dengue and thought it was flu? As I understand it, the basic symptoms of Dengue are similar to flu (fever, aching joints etc) so if you don't get medical advice you might assume you have flu?

Flu strains change slightly every year (antigenic drift) which is why the vaccine has to change each year and you need a new jab to keep up (if you have a flu vaccine). Every so often, the virus mutates entirely (antigenic shift). When this happens, vaccination will have no effect. Also, because the body hasn't built any resistance to the new strain, it will hit the population harder. This is likely to cause a pandemic flu outbreak. When this occurs, unfortunately, we will all know about it. Through out history, pandemic flu has generally occurred approximately every forty years at most. We are now well beyond that and experts believe the next outbreak is only a matter of a few years away.

Kirsty McColl once sang "I know a place where they live for today, 'cause tomorrow is too far away". She was singing about Cuba but could easily have been DR. So I can't help wondering what, if anything, is being done there to prepare for the pandemic when it hits? The 1918 'Spanish flu' killed more people than the entire First World War. Over 21,000,000 people died. The last pandemic was in 1958 (Hong Kong Flu). In the US 50,000,000 caught it and 33,000 died... this was classed as a 'mild' strain. The next strain is likely to come from pigs or tigers. Both pigs and tigers can host H5N1 "Bird Flu" without any symptoms AND human flu, again, without symptoms. Eventually, a pig or a tiger will pick up H5N1 & human flu at the same time, resulting in a mutation of H5N1 which can be passed on human to human. Now, as tigers don't have close contact with birds & humans very often, we probably don't need to worry about them giving us the flu... and if a tiger was close enough for me to breath in its saliva droplets, flu would be the last thing I'd worry about! But pigs, birds and humans living in close proximity? hmm...

I would suggest that everyone should start to make some individual plans for when this flu outbreak occurs, a bit like hurricane planning. Burying head in sand is perhaps not the best option. If I lived in DR I would at least ensure I had enough drinking water to last six weeks and a decent supply of Aspirin as the supply chain is likely to be disrupted at a time when demand may increase. Tourism will take a pounding, so there will be a longer term economic fall out (potentially three months with reduced tourism). Some countries may restrict 'non essential travel' so even if the Dom Rep government is willing to have people continue to visit, they may not be able to. Individuals may try and get hold of Tamiflu which may lessen the effects of the flu. Personally, we've started to stock up on tinned food as, living on a small island, we are reliant upon food deliveries from England, coming by ferry. Back to the DR, fuel may rapidly run out, so while stocking up on fuel may not be a bright/safe idea, planning ahead as to how to cope if there are shortages is worth doing.

Lastly, it will be possible to get normal flu and pandemic flu in the same year. If you are already prone to chest infections or are of a certain age, you should seriously consider a flu vaccination yearly if you don't already.

Hope this is interesting and relevant enough to not be considered 'off topic' having written so much!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Yes, the FLU (no 'e' as in the kind on your fireplace), which stands for influenza is a VIRUS. Antibiotics are useless and even HARMFUL to give during flu. The DR has so over used amoxicillin that I almost NEVER give it to patients. Most of the circulating bugs here are now resistant to it, not to mention the fact that overprescribing antibiotics leads to massive fungal overgrowth (yeast infections).

IF you catch the symptoms of the flu early (first 48 hours) there is a product you can take: Tamiflu to shorten and less the symptoms. If you have lots of sneezing and discharge, antihistamines control this (Benedryl=difenhidramina) and decongestants (Sudafed=seudoepfadrina here). Even if you have it progress to your lungs, you DON'T need antibiotics unless it turns bacterial and then you'll have green sputum and usually a relatively high fever. In the case of viral lung infections, usually an albueterol inhaler along with a decongestant & mucous thinner like gueffenisein are helpful.

Antibiotics do nothing for Dengue in spite of the fact that everyone seems to think they need to run to the hospital for Dengue (see my post on managing this at home via oral rehydration therapy and ibuprofen.)

The other thing everyone needs to realize is that ANY condition with head involvement or cough gets called GRIPE (or flu) here. There doesn't seem to be a distinction for the "common cold" caused by the adenovirus. Colds and flu are not the same thing.

In order to appease the expectations of patients & provide natural assistance to their bodies to help, I write out an "Rx" for: ibuprofen (if there are no stomach problems and they have fever/aches & pains; otherwise Paracetamol/Tylenol), LOTS of water, vitamin C, zinc lozenges, and CHICKEN SOUP made with the bones boiled as well as squeezing the juice of one lemon (limone) in each bowl. I then give my speech on handwashing (20 seconds WITH SOAP).

I take lots of calls (via phone and email) for symptoms and I will tell people if I think they need to be seen but my theory is IF your immune system is already fighting something, why expose yourself to MORE infectious disease and super bugs by going to a hospital/ER/Clinic. Of course, there are certain red flag symptoms (again, see my Dengue post) that make me say "get here or somewhere asap." I even to free house calls for friends as some on DR1 will attest to.