Study recommends closure of Punta Catalina due to serious impacts

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Punta-Catalina-El-Caribe-e1596467126992.jpg

The Institute of Lawyers for the Protection of the Environment, the Coalition for the Defense of Health and the Environment of the Province of Peravia and the Committee for the Fight against Climate Change, with the counsel of five foreign entities, are calling for the shutdown of the Punta Catalina Thermoelectric Power Plant (CTPC). The entities say the coal-fired plant is causing serious environmental damages estimated at US$7.5 million a year.

The recently released Study on the Contamination of the Punta Catalina Thermoelectric Power Plant points to the negative impacts of contamination by gases, micro-particles and waste from the Punta Catalina Thermoelectric Power Plant, CTPC. The contamination is said to cover a large part of the Dominican territory, all the way to Haiti and reach the eastern coast of Cuba and Jamaica. The aerial emissions of gases and micro-particles...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: AlterEgo

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
That could have been anticipated when the project was started. It never made sense to me to build a coal-fired power station when other countries were phasing them out. We can only guess why the government decided to go ahead with this, but I can have a good guess.

Jan 9, 2004
Shut it down? In a country that has difficulty keeping the lights on in normal times. The plant has only been running for a little over two years

First, it should never have been built for coal........but there is likely a reason (money/corruption/both) that it was constructed that way.

Second, converting it to LNG should be on the table. Much cleaner for the environment than coal. Of course that will likely involve the usual contracts/propinas awarded to politicos, their family or friends, and or the outright bribes from outside contractors..........ala Odebrecht.

And so it goes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are hundreds of coal fired power stations around the world , many very old and still in operation but this one is new and was built to modern specifications so that gases into the atmosphere are kept to a minimum. It uses what is called clean coal, what ever that may mean but I guess that the coal has much less impurities than before. The equipment was state of the art from the most reputable companies in the USA.It is very easy to look back and say that this and that should have been done but at the time this plant was commissioned, coal was much cheaper and oil prices were sky high and the DR very poor. The cheap oil arrangement with Venezuela finished with the death of Chavez. The grubby lawyers who won so much money from the Odebrecht case have now got their paws out for more . Fat chance they have of closing this plant down!!

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Shut it down? In a country that has difficulty keeping the lights on in normal times. The plant has only been running for a little over two years

First, it should never have been built for coal........but there is likely a reason (money/corruption/both) that it was constructed that way.

Second, converting it to LNG should be on the table. Much cleaner for the environment than coal. Of course that will likely involve the usual contracts/propinas awarded to politicos, their family or friends, and or the outright bribes from outside contractors..........ala Odebrecht.

And so it goes.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

There has been talk of that already, and I'd bet that's what will eventually happen.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
That could have been anticipated when the project was started. It never made sense to me to build a coal-fired power station when other countries were phasing them out. We can only guess why the government decided to go ahead with this, but I can have a good guess.

I heard it was built on land owned by a certain powerful family and that the lease tied the government into ridiculously high payments for an eternity. Way over the actual value of the land.

• Wow
Reactions: AlaPlaya

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I heard it was built on land owned by a certain powerful family and that the lease tied the government into ridiculously high payments for an eternity. Way over the actual value of the land.
A certain powerful family that bought the land just before the govt. announced it would build the plants there. And yes, ridiculously high payments but willing to sell it to the govt. "for the right price"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A certain powerful family that bought the land just before the govt. announced it would build the plants there. And yes, ridiculously high payments but willing to sell it to the govt. "for the right price"

Am I the only one who doesn’t know who that family is? Is it a secret?

Reactions: MariaRubia

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The Vicini family. I should clarify - I think they ended up selling it to EDESUR a year ago or so.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Reactions: chico bill

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

What a coincidence eh? They just happened to buy that land for pennies and then the government just happened to decide that this was the only place they could build a new massive power station and as a result they would have to pay whatever the landowner wanted for the land, which is way more than it would otherwise be worth. If only we could all have such strokes of luck.

• Haha
Reactions: malko and AlterEgo

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Just as well the defamation laws are not used for internet postings !!! or maybe they are .
What defamation? No defamation going on there, it is well known information and ran it's course through the local news websites when it happened.

Where do you think I got the information?

They are very shrewd business people.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Not only did they sell the land to the govt. for Punta Catalina, but they financed the loan for the govt to buy it with their own bank:

Jan 9, 2004
Not only did they sell the land to the govt. for Punta Catalina, but they financed the loan for the govt to buy it with their own bank:

Unfortunately, it is an accepted way of life in the DR. And this is but one example;

One can only wonder how much more economically dynamic the country could be if corruption could only be reigned in by half. The DR could be a real powerhouse in the Caribbean............but for...........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well would you think diesel is better. DR doesn't have natural gas, and Windmills and Solar Panels are virtue signaling energy dreams

• Sad
Reactions: drstock

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Big business and people with money are always the boogeyman. No one blames a drunk homeless bum for their position in life. The more wealth a business or person obtains the more disdain they receive. Never mind the fact that they create countless jobs, pay massive amounts of taxes and create countless opportunities.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A good debatable guess why it went coal fired was because there were mischievous powerful interests who would make money from heavy maintenance services, the sale of coal, movement of coal, storage of coal, and all aspects of the disposal of coal waste. Gas fired plants have less mischievous money making options.

Regards,

PJT
Big business and people with money are always the boogeyman. No one blames a drunk homeless bum for their position in life. The more wealth a business or person obtains the more disdain they receive. Never mind the fact that they create countless jobs, pay massive amounts of taxes and create countless opportunities.
Big, guess you are not aware of the contaminated history of this plant, otherwise you would not have made your statement. There was so much corruption involved with the planning, poor construction, and chickenshit operation of the facility. It is about corrupt people having countless opportunities to make money illegally, avoiding taxes, creating shell companies, nepotism, on, on, and on.

Regards,

PJT
Big, guess you are not aware of the contaminated history of this plant, otherwise you may not have made your statement. There was so much corruption involved with planning, poor design, poor construction, and chickenshit operation of the facility. It is about corrupt people having countless opportunities to make money illegally, avoiding taxes, creating shell companies, nepotism, on, on, and on.

Regards,

PJT

Big

Apr 24, 2019
A good debatable guess why it went coal fired was because there were mischievous powerful interests who would make money from heavy maintenance services, the sale of coal, movement of coal, storage of coal, and all aspects of the disposal of coal waste. Gas fired plants have less mischievous money making options.

Regards,

PJT

Big, guess you are not aware of the contaminated history of this plant, otherwise you would not have made your statement. There was so much corruption involved with the planning, poor construction, and chickenshit operation of the facility. It is about corrupt people having countless opportunities to make money illegally, avoiding taxes, creating shell companies, nepotism, on, on, and on.

Regards,

PJT

Big, guess you are not aware of the contaminated history of this plant, otherwise you may not have made your statement. There was so much corruption involved with planning, poor design, poor construction, and chickenshit operation of the facility. It is about corrupt people having countless opportunities to make money illegally, avoiding taxes, creating shell companies, nepotism, on, on, and on.

Regards,

PJT
I am aware! It is a large business conglomerate, so they must be doing something illegal or underhanded. Have you ever heard of someone falling down on a back country road and starting a lawsuit against the farmer. It's always on the sidewalk in front of a large successful business.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Yes it is true that the Vicinis are shrews businesspeople and that they also do a lot of good with their money.