Stupid Gringo Mistake #1

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Butt Plugs" boy does that bring back a lot of fond memories from long ago!!
I wonder what ever happened to that "Plug"???
Hey, "Wait just a second",....................................."Well I'll be damned!"
I can cancel my latest "Amazon.com" purchase!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Well I almost got deported before I got through the POP Airport because i missed the part where you can't bring handcuffs in. I swear I looked at all the illigal items but obviously not. I was worried about the cats in the baggage area dying or paying for duty on the MANY household items my Wife INSISTED on bringing but nope, they asked "You Police?" I said no then they all got serious with the hancuffs in the suitcase (yes i know I'm an idiot!) Detained for 2 hours while calling Santo Domingo. Thought I would get a cavity seaqrch but i was lucky on that one! When they got me alone they asked "used for bedroom?" I replied yes and they seemed to like that :cheeky:

The whole time I was being asked questions the men let my Wife walk around get the rental car, get the animals water etc...They said I was done here in a serious Voice and I thoguht they meant the DR!! That I had to go back to Canada and they laughed and sent me on our way. The good thing is no Duty charges and all 4 animals LOVE IT IN THERE NEW HOME! So if you want to distract from duty charges bring in an illegal item to distract them ;-)
Loving it here on my second day with it seems to be our Housekeeper and her extended Family. Not really used to the housekeeper thing and feel really uncomfortable about them doing everything for us but I'm sure I will get used to it!

Easton :pirate:

You know there is a lot of corruption and it is not uncommon for people to harrass you to get money right? Bribes are very common in the airport and all parts of society there. I bet, you could have just paid them and brought them. I lived in a rough neighborhood in the states and brought a big blade and a can a pepper spray in my carry on. I always carry those items with me. The carryon is coincidentally the same bag I use to carry my items around to and from work in. Like a true idiot, I forgot they were there and somehow made it to the DR with no problem. One guy in a suit and one super hot flamin hot Dominican woman in a suit pulled me aside but they did no beating around the bush. They just asked for 3 mil pesos and told me I could go. If I did not give them the 3 mil pesos, I needed to give them the knife and the pepper spray. I gave them the items and they kept them and let me go.

May 29, 2006
When you do bribe the guys at customs, make sure their supervisor doesn't see, or he'll want a taste too..

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
BEWARE OF HANDCUFFS. ask George

[video=youtube;For8y4DwOpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=For8y4DwOpA[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Annie", if you go to a baseball stadium, and there is a baseball game in progress, would you ask everyone to please leave, because you don't like baseball???
Me thinks "Thou Doth Protest, TOO MUCH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If this thread is not to your liking, you really don't need to stay, in the "Locker Room".
If there were an "Adults Only" forum, we "Little Boys" couldn't get in!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Lobo", you have presented me with an "Enigma"!
I have always searched for the "Greatest Perversion".
Now You tell me that I must practice "Abstinence" to find it????
Can I be a "Little Abstinent ", you know, "Catholic Priest Abstinent"???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

WE FINALLY GOT INTERNET!!

that would cover about the first 25 mistakes

watch Downtown Abby for tips on the staff treatment.. then go to upstairs downstairs

you have to REALLY keep a stiff arm and learn here.. they are NEVER responsible for anything that gets broken or ruined because the spanish has a bad reflexive verb. Dishes break themselves. Dark clothes reach out and pour cholorox on themselves.

the police in Santiago were just sitting around the station because the posters of the criminals all had them out looking for themselves

Yes we have only been here 5 days and my wives fav clothes are ruined by bleach which we never use as she is also allergic to it but to be fair we should have told the maid that. I am listening to all your suggestions about keeping them at arms length. Thank you! Without this Forum we would be way more lost than we already are ;-)

I have no idea how to do 2 quotes at the same time so to the person who suggested I am either gay or my wife is on here...No to both. My wife is Blonde, white, blue eyes with petite features so I just am not attracted to most of the Dominicana Ladies here, the American/Canadian white tourists on the other hand....

I think someone asked what happened to the handcuffs? Well they got taken. I gave the Captain dude $20 after b/c he was really nice about it. They had a fun time going through are luggage i think. They will remember us if we come back I'm sure!

Rainwater

Jan 23, 2013
Welcome to you and your family, Harleysrock, so glad to know that the cats are happy!

I entreat you not to watch "Downtown Abby" to learn how to treat Staff. The actress who plays Abby is terrible, hardly ever goes Downtown, and treats The Staff with a stiff upper lip. (dismisses the idea of using the phrase tongue-in-cheek in this depraved locker room.....)

But seriously, DO please establish parameters with your employees, and insist that they respect your way of doing things. You can be friendly in a respectful way. That said, our helper is not allowed to handle/dust/pour water or bleach on ANYTHING in my bookcases, and she's terrified of going near my books, on pain of ...well I don't know, I haven't planned that far! LOL! I am very fair and friendly and I trust her to pet and house-sit, but we are not "mi amor/coraz?n/querida". 4+ years and everyone happy.

There is no need to affect a lord of the Downton Abbey attitude, just be a fair employer. :)

Again, welcome!! ~~Shalom~~

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I mentioned both shows since most United Staters are not used to having household help of any sort. It is not in our repetoire. With daily cleaners in North Carolina running at $24 an hour!!!

most Yanks did not grow up with servants or household staff or cleaners .. and may not know how to manage them

i have seen more than one marriage break up ,, with the maid taking the place of the wife

I have seen one marriage that almost went down because the American wife did not know how to handle the maid,

I have had friends robbed by the nannies.

It is true that it is easy to find staff but it is not so easy to know how to train them when you have no experience and Yanks do not have natural class boundaries. Anyone can work as a char... as I have.

So we know nothing of world of class differences... or how to treat an au pair...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I worked for the owner of the racehorse Secretariat .. polished his trophies. Lots of Americans take summer jobs at resorts and stuff and work all the way through high school and college. But only the upper upper has any sort of household help that is daily ... I do not know any one who had a nanny for their own kids but lots of my friends were raised with nannies.

Here, we tend to over pay and under expect. Once a maid has worked for a gringa, she is unlikely to want to work for Dominicans again. That is another reason why foreigners are not so welcome as neighbors. We pay too much and expect too little. Dominicans think that we are suckers because of this.

I have a new cleaner. The neighbors.. the Dona of the building... uses her ONLY for ironiing. All the upper crust here has cleaners. Most of the middle class has had a cleaner. I was stunned when an architect friend said that they needed to make 43k a month.. since they had to pay for the three staff since they both worked. They have a daily cleaner, someone who cooks lunch, and someone who comes in for the heavy work.

that is staff. reserved for the uber rich where i come from.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Chastity ccccccc?

"Lobo", you have presented me with an "Enigma"!
I have always searched for the "Greatest Perversion".
Now You tell me that I must practice "Abstinence" to find it????
Can I be a "Little Abstinent ", you know, "Catholic Priest Abstinent"???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Well, you are a "Little Obstinate"!

On abstinence:
NO, DEFINITELY NOT!!!

A little chastity/abstinence is like a little pregnant.
All or nothing.
PS
Self flagellation is not abstinence but indulgence.

Be healthy enjoy your "perversions"!
At least you're not one to pack your bags and go on a guilt trip:nervous:.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I mentioned both shows since most United Staters are not used to having household help of any sort. It is not in our repetoire. With daily cleaners in North Carolina running at $24 an hour!!!

most Yanks did not grow up with servants or household staff or cleaners .. and may not know how to manage them

i have seen more than one marriage break up ,, with the maid taking the place of the wife

I have seen one marriage that almost went down because the American wife did not know how to handle the maid,

I have had friends robbed by the nannies.

It is true that it is easy to find staff but it is not so easy to know how to train them when you have no experience and Yanks do not have natural class boundaries. Anyone can work as a char... as I have.

So we know nothing of world of class differences... or how to treat an au pair...

OP is not a Yank, by the way.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Here, we tend to over pay and under expect. Once a maid has worked for a gringa, she is unlikely to want to work for Dominicans again. That is another reason why foreigners are not so welcome as neighbors. We pay too much and expect too little. Dominicans think that we are suckers because of this.

I pay my cleaning lady for one full-day visit a week, all she ends up doing is mopping the floor, and cleaning the bathrooms since I hardly ever remember to wash my clothes in time for her to iron. She doesn't cook, of course. I provide breakfast.
At 800 DOP a day I know I'm overpaying for dominican standards, but it has never bothered me because I know it's still cheap. Sometimes I help her buy some stuff she couldn't afford on her own, like a washing machine or a fridge, and I take half her weekly payment until it's paid off.
Lately however, I'm suspecting she's stealing from me. Food, mostly, which doesn't bother me that much because I know she has 4 kids to feed and little income. But I'm wondering how long this has been going on, and what else besides food might be in peril. She's been almost 3 years with me and has a key to my apartment. Oh well, that goes to show you can never trust anyone.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I would get rid of her in a heart beat!No excuse for stealing,even if it's food! After all, you
have been helping her out.:mad:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You leave the keys to your apartment to someone who is stealing from you ????

I would get rid of her in a heart beat!No excuse for stealing,even if it's food! After all, you
have been helping her out.:mad:

You're both right. The thing is sometimes I think that mejor malo conocido que bueno por conocer.
Anyone else will have the key also, since I don't like people cleaning when I'm around the house and I like to sleep late on weekends....so....
I would also need to prove to myself that she's stealing, and I've been putting that off too. So...I'm kind of trapped with her.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with Africaida and bronzeallspice. At the very least, change the lock and tell her you haven't had time to get a key made for her "yet". You're overpaying her, and this is how she thanks you?? I'd replace her, she has no respect for you and thinks you're a fool who doesn't know what's going on in his own house.

Are you home when she's there working?