Styrofoam Block Supplier

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Construction economics should be the same for this region, may be some one is pushing a "new" product. I have worked both systems,and conc. panels some times dont fit,stick to casting slabs,get dropped etc.on the other hand a crew of block men can do a small house in one day or two.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
porkman, i raised the subject because they have been doing prefab houses in Jamaica since the 1960s. there is a huge company called West Indies Home Contractors, and that is all they do. they have built housing estates, with a standard plan that they use to builda few hundred homes in a short space of time. the url is WIHCON.COM.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Construction economics should be the same for this region, may be some one is pushing a "new" product. I have worked both systems,and conc. panels some times dont fit,stick to casting slabs,get dropped etc.on the other hand a crew of block men can do a small house in one day or two.

Agreed, I could see slab const being an advantage if a region was short on labor. But that wouldn't be the case in the DR.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Back to Styrofoam blocks,I was invited on a job site that were using it,it was a storage building that needed R value out of this world,Those blocks were over size (not your standard 8x8x16)held by clips but the interior web would accommodate your minimum re-bar with 5''conc. coverage.The down side is that surfaces subject to impact (even covered with wire/mech/cement) will be eternal maintenance repairing dents on the soft styro surface.Structurally you get more reinforced concrete inside that you would an a standard block, they are very light and easy to install and if you dont have a blow out when consolidating a grout lift you should fine

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Thanks for all the posts.
Captglenn and porkman100 hit it on the nail. This is the type of block I am looking for. It is flame retardant, mold resistant, insect resistant, strong enough to resist hurricane force winds and earthquakes etc.. as for dent repairs Ill keep the baseball bats locked up!

Wayne I did visit the Casa Linda a few months ago but its not the block system Im looking for. Not only that but after speaking with the workers and site managers there they told me it was a huge pain to put up. But thank you for the referral.

Porkman100 where did you see them using the block system. I am still having problems finding a supplier here in the country. All of them say they have blocks but I am looking for the specific type you mentioned with the interior web, which none of them have.
I plan to do most of the construction myself with a friend. Both of us have worked with the system in Canada and I personally wanted to try something different. Trying to build off the grid after 30% increase in power (Bavaro area). Im looking for maximum R rating and strength. With all my current research and minimal construction experience with styro this appears to be my best option.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
dr.directional,The blocks I saw were big, approx. 12''widex14''tallx24''long,easy to install you could train a 12 year old to do it,easy to do window/door opening..but the ingenious of it all were the clips they held the horizontal and vertical re bar and each block in place,blocks come in different size to suit your needs,for example interior walls need not have so much conc.in them. I will tell you that insulation is such,that a small freezer diesel unit that you see in big trucks will keep a house in D.R. below o for as long as you want..not that you would want to, but you get the idea.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
The question was where in D.r.? foam/blocks are easy to build once you have a block in mind, you need to work with a local engineer you need submit calculations and such,the clips you could import,All this alternative construction goes on mainly over seas,the storage building I saw was in the desert.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
More than likely the styrofoam system will require a concrete (or steel) beam system to support the load which will be somewhat expensive.

If costs are a consideration you could spec styrofoam panels that tack on the inside wall of the house. This system is very popular in Florida and by all accounts is sufficiently efficient.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
My wife works for a company that produces the basic plastic that is used to make the blocks... (I think some kind of styrene... she would know exactly what variation... EPS or whatever.) The companies who form the blocks are their customers. This type of construction has also been featured from time to time on some of the HGTV type shows... or "This Old House"... or something. I will say that it looks like it takes a lot of concrete, so having premix in a pumper truck would be a big advantage. The construction guys (from supervisors to laborers) ALWAYS say it's a pain to do something new and different... eventually they get used to it.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Chip ,The styro blocks I saw accommodates a top horizontal tie/bond beam where 4 no.#4 or #5 could be poured in place and distribute roof loads,as always consult local professional engineers.Like you said forming with foam for interior only and removing exterior form (plywood or metal) will be the best way,but now you are dealing with a high degree of construction experience.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Esfera Verde Corp. (Vicini group i think)
M2 Dominicana
?Bienvenido a FOAMCRETE!

These are forms, not blocks, don't know if it can help.

The m2dominicana were willing to help when i contacted them. Prices seemed reasonable, but you had to go through one of their recommended builders, which is not illogical given the product.

the products are not imported.

Barnabe

May 29, 2006
ICF can be built to withstand the highest seismic codes.

ICF is far stronger than cinder blocks under earthquake conditions. They still use rebar throughout the foundation and it's more like pre-cast concrete. We are working on a project with an ICF foundation and you can barely drill into the stuff with a masonry bit. The big cost is shipping, but that has gotten better now that the blocks are assembled on site. You save on labor/construction time. It's a lot like building with giant LEGOS.

My main concern with the DR is you would have to keep the building air-tight/air conditioned since it will be cooler and warm moist air will condense if it can get inside.

This is what a typical ICF form looks like:
ICF2.jpg

They start by pouring a perimeter of concrete, then build the wall and finally pour the walls and floor at the same time. The blocks now come as kits and you put the plastic spacers in to make the blocks. There are many kinds out there and they have become the industry standard in many areas because of their high R-value.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Like I've stated before, the ICF has drawbacks due to cost and potential humidity and insect problems. Yes, the styrofoam panels can be treated with waterproofing and insectproofing that may or may not work in the long run given the warm climate and perpetual problems with the filtration of concrete roofs.

Furthermore, this system is nothing more than a cast in place concrete house with the insulation used as part of the forms. In other words there are other alternatives that are much cheaper and still have substantial insulation properties with the advantage of being cheaper and with less humidity and insect type problems.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I know they still use the foam blocks embedded into the floors when they pour them. I seem to see them in every tower going up in the city. I have no idea where they come from.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Good day,have there been any updates on building insulated concrete form homes in the Dominican Republic?
Last year I spent untold hours investigating this business in the states with an eye toward use in the DR. I had a partner that did a ton of work talking to housing official in two southern states that we do business. When all said and done and before I invested a dollar I walked away. Why?
Many reasons to include: Supply logistics. Low cost labor in DR. Faster to form with forms and sticks. Watching how fast things are done here in the DR I never regretted my decision.