Summer Solstice

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Copy/pasted from the op’s link:

The summer solstice is Wednesday, June 21. It’s the longest day and shortest night in the Northern Hemisphere. It’s also the first official day of summer.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Being as south as we are, we get 13 hrs of sunshine...... check out the others

NYC gets an hour more
Puerto Plata town probably gets a little less than the 13 hrs. Oh sure, the sun is up for about the same amount of time as in the rest of the DR but unlike most places in the DR, Puerto Plata lies on the foot of Mt Isabel de Torres. The position of that mountain relative to the position of the town means that every afternoon the sun appears to go behind the mountain, at least from many areas of the town. Guess what that means? The mountain cast its shadow over much of the town, essentially making Puerto Plata reach a level of darkness (not complete, but it's noticeable) before most places in the DR within the same longitude, say Santiago which essentially is almost directly south of Puerto Plata. In essence, Santiago is still getting sunshine that much of Puerto Plata isn't due to the shadow of Mt Isabel de Torres. Heck, even Maimón with all the seafood restaurants for which is known is getting more sunshine at the time much of Puerto Plata town is under the shadow and these two places are essentially "right there."

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The northern most Canadian city had sunrise this morning at 3:39am and sunset at 23:39. 20 hours. It never really gets dark there this time of year.
Where I currently am we get 17 hours 3 minutes between sunrise and sunset.
If only we could get the DR temperature to go with it.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Another interesting point from the article is that 90% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The northern most Canadian city had sunrise this morning at 3:39am and sunset at 23:39. 20 hours. It never really gets dark there this time of year.
Where I currently am we get 17 hours 3 minutes between sunrise and sunset.
If only we could get the DR temperature to go with it.
Look up the 24hr places...... Alaska for one, Fairbanks