Summit Trampoline Park - Santo Domingo

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Today I went to Summit Trampoline Park in Sambil, which opened in December. It's on the top floor near to the food court. Something very different to do, and the nice thing is that the adults can bounce around with children so if you want a family day out, everyone can get involved. I was a little surprised at the price - for two adults and two kids it came to RD$ 2,300 for one hour. Fine for me, but well out of the reach of most Dominican families I would suggest. The space is vast, there are a lot of trampolines, basketball courts, foam pits, nicely maintained. Staff were friendly, although there was a lot of whistle blowing and pointing rather than talking to customers. I looked at their Facebook page after going and they are getting a roasting from Dominicans regarding price (understandable) and regarding safety concerns (evidently someone broke two ribs and someone else is in intensive care after going). I guess trampolines can be dangerous and I would suggest that if you go, you make sure that you supervise any young children yourself. Provided you do this - as we did - it's a great day out, completely exhausting, but we had to drag the kids out who were crying their eyes out because they didn't want to leave. Without meaning to sound bitchy, I can't imagine they will last too long charging these prices, the usual story that they'll have to discount and discount and reduce the facilities to survive. So if you are thinking of going, I suggest you go sooner rather than later. Interested to hear feedback from others who have visited.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Paul, what are the age requirements for kids, and do you know of any other places with similar activities for children?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I'm compelled to put my two centavos here as I've been coaching both competitive gymnastics, trampoline and power tumbling for 30 years. Trampoline parks have sprouted all over the U.S. in the last few years(there are four of these not far from my training center) and many suffer from under trained staff and a laxity in safety and emergency protocols. Foam pits as well as trampolines can be deadly if the participants are not given proper instruction(progressions and a safety course)prior to using the equipment. I recommend that anyone taking a child who's never used a trampoline or foam pit to ask the attendant(s) what the plan is for extricating someone with a catastrophic injury(head,neck,back)is, and how fast can the fire department, ambulance, EMT etc. get there if such were to occur. I'm not against these establishments as they make the experience affordable for many kids and adults who often come to me for additional professional training. Parks out here charge $15.00US for 2 hours. Be safe.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Paul, what are the age requirements for kids, and do you know of any other places with similar activities for children?

The two that I went with were 5 and nobody seemed to question their age. I did feel that 5 was about as young as I would want a child to be in Summit. There were some older kids hurtling themselves at the foam pit where mine were laying and not a massive amount of supervision (although admittedly there were staff close-by). On the same level as the Food Court in Sambil you also have two other play facilities, one is for very young children I guess toddlers to 3 years old, and the other is bouncy castles and ball pits. So if you go to Sambil, you can have a look at all three and work out which one is best for your child.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'm compelled to put my two centavos here as I've been coaching both competitive gymnastics, trampoline and power tumbling for 30 years. Trampoline parks have sprouted all over the U.S. in the last few years(there are four of these not far from my training center) and many suffer from under trained staff and a laxity in safety and emergency protocols. Foam pits as well as trampolines can be deadly if the participants are not given proper instruction(progressions and a safety course)prior to using the equipment. I recommend that anyone taking a child who's never used a trampoline or foam pit to ask the attendant(s) what the plan is for extricating someone with a catastrophic injury(head,neck,back)is, and how fast can the fire department, ambulance, EMT etc. get there if such were to occur. I'm not against these establishments as they make the experience affordable for many kids and adults who often come to me for additional professional training. Parks out here charge $15.00US for 2 hours. Be safe.

I do know that the lady in charge is American, so if anyone has any questions I'm sure you could stop by and ask to speak to her.