Sunday party in campo (pictures)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
although sometimes I fail because I am still in my NA thinking (like wanting to give Christmas bags to the trash guys;))

I've never heard of this custom of giving garbagemen a gift for Christmas here in NA.

I think in this regard you may be going a bit overboard, especially if no one else on your block does the same thing.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
snob definition

One who tends to patronize, rebuff, or ignore people regarded as social inferiors and imitate, admire, or seek association with people regarded as social superiors.

One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I've never heard of this custom of giving garbagemen a gift for Christmas here in NA.

I think in this regard you may be going a bit overboard, especially if no one else on your block does the same thing.
Yes, I realize that now....that's why I came on here to ask. At home in Raleigh almost everyone got a small Christmas bag from me...mailman, garbage men, kids' school bus driver, etc. so I just wanted to see what was the norm here.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
snob definition

One who tends to patronize, rebuff, or ignore people regarded as social inferiors and imitate, admire, or seek association with people regarded as social superiors.

One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect

Exactly
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, majority of rich or middle class folks are not snobs at all. I find them to be the most friendliest of all. Life is really normal around them (in my case). They are educated, I don't have to explain how life is lived in USA, I am not worried I have to pay their bill at the end of the night, I am don't have to give them a long explanation that pakistan is not an arab country and we have no war going on there, I am not confused for a terrorist, they treat me as opposed to me treating them all the time etc etc.I see no place for a snobbish label anywhere.
Now, not all dominicans have to love Bachata, maybe some of them simply had enough of Anthony santos.It maybe new music to you but remember most dominicans are raised here listening to this music, .
There is plenty of good latin music around, not every dominican has to listen to burracha music which seems to be based on barrio culture and morena who left him or the morena he loves so much etc etc. There is far more to latin music than simply listening to bachata. I got turned off from Anthony Santo when I was invited to his concert in a barrio many years ago. The place was packed with barrio tigres. When Mr. Santos came on stage, he put a body guard type tigre right in front of himself with an uzi machine in hand. This is so chopoish that I simply had to laugh.
I am not a fan of carwash bachata music but that doesn't mean I am a snob. I do help the poor whom I feel deserve my money.I hand out 100 peso bills to beggers whom I feel deserve help. beggers without limbs and old women who are desperately in need for cash. So I hate Anthony santos music but does that make me a bad person?
Nals is correct, people who have little contact with the rich-middle class folks tend to have a distorted view of them. This saturday my friends will take me to nagua for a party. Transportation, booze and food will be covered by them. Now does that seem like a bad deal at all to anyone?I think not.
If I go to NY, guess who will take me to the airport?
AZB

I understand where you're coming from...there is alot of rap music that I hate but that doesn't mean I'm not black;) jajaja
SHALENA

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

Actually, this is quite common here in the states. My building takes up a collection every year for the building staff. And lots of people in the southern states give christmas gifts to the garbage man, mailman, etc.

Shalena. Though this may not be a dominican custom, and you should probably conform to the local norms, don't let anyone tell you that there's something wrong with showing appreciation for the individuals who provide you with public service.

Your generosity and good will speak well of your upbringing.

Kudos.

Vince.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks Vince...although I am leaving everyone out except for the housekeeper and the taxista that drives my kids to school, I still feel funy about it.
Just like I'm going to feel funny on Christmas if I'm not spending the AM cooking a spiral ham!!! HAHAHA
SHALENA

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Nice post, AZB. I'll be going to San Juan de las Matas near San Juan Maguana over the holidays with my Dominicana, first time with her to meet her family in the Campo. Looking forward to it a lot, but worried about bugs in the water. Is there a polite way to be careful when you're offered a glass of juice? Better to just drink beer and boiled coffee or your own bottled water? Pedro Tercero

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Nice post, AZB. I'll be going to San Juan de las Matas near San Juan Maguana over the holidays with my Dominicana, first time with her to meet her family in the Campo. Looking forward to it a lot, but worried about bugs in the water. Is there a polite way to be careful when you're offered a glass of juice? Better to just drink beer and boiled coffee or your own bottled water? Pedro Tercero

no one drinks water from the tap, everyone drinks water from 5 gallon bottle water. So don't worry, drink everything, even the juice.
AZB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

I think you are confusing the DR with India, if somebody offer you a glass of juice drinking it without worries ;)