iu

Ooo,
la
La....

It's La Sirena.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Supermercado José Luis (I think that's the one with the store on one side of the street and the parking on the opposite side) as, as you said it, locally owned and sll their stores are in Puerto Plata. Everything they get arrives to one town. That is different when you are a national chains with many stores all over the place. The logistics are not the same.
That's the one... Yes, I realize this as well with a possible local warehouse but still, if you are a big company, to secure stock should be easier I think? I might be thinking wrong here... The same with Jumbo vs. Sirena many times, I feel that Sirena is what mostly runs out of any given thing and Jumbo is also a national chain... I might be wrong...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought so too, but I believe I was proved wrong:

Google has outdates images, if you go to their website, all the online catalogs are with a new logo... I did not know this either...
Sirena it is then. I apologize to all those affected by this change which makes no sense.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Speaking of logistics, Grupo Ramos has a massive distribution center in Boca Chica.

1705008160396.jpeg

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
In the USA/Canada there are excellent highways crisscrossing everywhere and overall a very good infrastructure. A distribution center can greatly cover a larger area given the good infrastructure, the less expense and less time it takes to get merchandise from the warehouse to the stores. To reach the Super Pola / Sirena Market in Sosúa it's slower and costs more in fuel consumption and in normal maintenance of the trucks. A large segment is on tight roads, the trucks will break down more often due to road conditions, even the driving style of many affects the efficiency of getting merchandise in time. A store like the one in Sosúa and the one in Las Terrenas are among the furthest away from the distribution center and often on less than perfect roads.
The one in Sosua is less than 30 minutes from Puerto Plata Sirena. And the road between them ( now that the Cangrejo bridge is open ) is certainly NOT less than perfect. Yet there is quite a noticeable difference in replenishment in the 2 stores. Can't really blame that on transportation issues.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's 30 minutes extra, not that the entire trip from the distribution center in Santiago to the store is 30 minutes. Unless a truck is electric, none travel the extra 30 minutes without burning diesel. Then the driver has to either get something to eat and then return to Santiago which includes the extra 30 minutes. There are things in DR roads that does causes a slow down that you will normally not see in similar roads in the USA, including police/military checks, passing next to a military base which usually has speed bumps (speed bumps in the DR are not standardize, so there is a difference in height with speed bumps in the same town and often on the same road), all sorts of extra pedestrian/animal hazards along the way, the eriving style of many including bus and truck drivers, etc. Nothing better to be at speed to Puerto Plata from Santiago and catch up to a row of trucks going slower than a snail.

There are also other things about the trucks themselves that could make them more costly to operate, such as wheels in less than perfect shape.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
iu

Ooo,
la
La....

It's La Sirena.
The "La" was dropped a few months ago and there was a redesign of its logo. Many people still call it "La Sirena" like they do to a street that had a name change, but...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Y
My experience in this country. Do not try to figure out reasons for things. It is wasted brain power. Simply accept what I see and wait to see what happens.
Yes common sense, developed skills and reasoning are not very common here.
Drove over the Cangrejo bridge again today and I can't believe it looks like a dog's hind leg with the kinks in the deck.
But it seems the 12" welded steel pipe we saw on the sidewalk will remain there as it has welded connections at either end

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
That's 30 minutes extra, not that the entire trip from the distribution center in Santiago to the store is 30 minutes. Unless a truck is electric, none travel the extra 30 minutes without burning diesel. Then the driver has to either get something to eat and then return to Santiago which includes the extra 30 minutes. There are things in DR roads that does causes a slow down that you will normally not see in similar roads in the USA, including police/military checks, passing next to a military base which usually has speed bumps (speed bumps in the DR are not standardize, so there is a difference in height with speed bumps in the same town and often on the same road), all sorts of extra pedestrian/animal hazards along the way, the eriving style of many including bus and truck drivers, etc. Nothing better to be at speed to Puerto Plata from Santiago and catch up to a row of trucks going slower than a snail.

There are also other things about the trucks themselves that could make them more costly to operate, such as wheels in less than perfect shape.
Ok. Ok. You've made your point. If you really think that the difference in replenishment between the 2 stores we are discussing is primarily transportation related I will bow to your expertise.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
I call bullcaca on infrastructure as the main reason. It must be bad management of the supermarkets and / or the distribution centers. With the cost of food transport is marginal. And most food is plenty available.
We just started a small supermarket a few weeks ago and it runs pretty good. It is the only one in this direction. Now Coca cola, Nestlé, Baldom, Rica etc etc all send their trucks for the rather small quantities we need. Other stuff we get locally. So if you have an eye on what your customers want you can get it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I call bullcaca on infrastructure as the main reason. It must be bad management of the supermarkets and / or the distribution centers. With the cost of food transport is marginal. And most food is plenty available.
We just started a small supermarket a few weeks ago and it runs pretty good. It is the only one in this direction. Now Coca cola, Nestlé, Baldom, Rica etc etc all send their trucks for the rather small quantities we need. Other stuff we get locally. So if you have an eye on what your customers want you can get it.
What if it isn't?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Thank you sir. Bullcaca indeed. Infrastructure is not causing Playero any problems with replenishment that I can see. And their inventory selection is vastly greater and superior than Pola's, And I might even suggest Sirena Puerto Plata's. When we go to PP we go to Jumbo and rarely Sirena.

Reactions: Notengo

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
(La)Sirena in Santiago managed to run out of sliced bread, across all brands, on a Wednesday.
And nearly out of all " bread related" products, stuff like hamburger buns, casabe, etc.....

We have noticed Sirenas being more empty over these last few years.
If I had to guess, some higher-up decided less stock was better, and dreamt up some sloppy logistic plan that looked OKish on paper but is a disaster on the ground.

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think the title to this thread should be changed to "Shoppers create higher demand for Super Pola and La Sirena"

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Thank you sir. Bullcaca indeed. Infrastructure is not causing Playero any problems with replenishment that I can see. And their inventory selection is vastly greater and superior than Pola's, And I might even suggest Sirena Puerto Plata's. When we go to PP we go to Jumbo and rarely Sirena.
For Playero, if they are a small business compared to Sirena, then it would be the same as comparing Jose Luis in POP to Sirena in that I have never seen them out of any products... But they are a local player. Still, I might be mistaken but what does not make sense to me, Sirena would be able to operate purchasing large volumes and therefore securing stock... Again, even Jumbo in POP is out of so my products than Sirena, what I have seen... And Jumbo is a national chain...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
(La)Sirena in Santiago managed to run out of sliced bread, across all brands, on a Wednesday.
And nearly out of all " bread related" products, stuff like hamburger buns, casabe, etc.....
This happened to us multiple times when we lived in POP... Once I saw an associate and asked for a particular bread, he asked me how many do I want. I said two. He went to he storage room, came back with exactly two bags gave them to me and the shelf remained empty... I was baffled but just went away... It did not occur to him to fill the shelf as well...

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A supermarket, or a colmado?