Super Tucano Air Fighters, Any Good?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo, not sure who is yanking your chain but Predator Q has operational range over a thousand miles so PR or DR hardly matter. So far the Predator Q has "sucked" at maritime interdiction, Global Hawk being a much more effective platform but I enjoy your pictures and enthusiasm

BTW, how many planes have those Super Tucanos shot down or forced down, from your charts it must be in the hundreds?

Nobody is "pulling my chain" on this! I'm not going to immerse into specifics on the issue but for this: The actual range of operations you listed is the full range under autonomous fly and forget selection, not the one where pilots control the AC full time. That's achieved by the utilization of waypoints and scheduled check-ins.

The Guardian operating from P.R. had good enough range to conduct detection manned missions within a limited distance. Not all contacts on the sea are charlies, so that's why the Guardian is a full hands-on operation with the operators at the controls.

You're confusing operational range with actual capabilities of the platform as stated.

And just so you know, the Reaper last generation has been fitted with an automated in-flight refueling nozzle. So range for that particular predator is only limited by the weather or enemy action.

Unlike the Reaper the Guardian hasn't (or more like wasn't a need) been upgraded for aerial refueling, much due to the type of missions it carries. Unlike the Reaper, the Guardian uses two active radar systems full time and two optical ones. The space used by the upgraded Reaper to accommodate the refueling system is fully occupied by a second power generator on the Guardian. I doubt there will be any upgrades to the Guardian for that end, since both it and the Reaper are already seeing their last operational deployments on active areas.

The Super Tucanos did the damage on the early months and since, things are rather quiet!

Now the flights have shifted to Haitian air space and land. That's why there's a full drone program underway in the DR by the U.S. as of now. Atop that since it would be very hard for the Super Tucanos to force or intercept planes bound for Haiti on the western tip, a few Predator "Reapers" will be added to the fleet, once the DR crews are fully trained and certified by USSOUTHCOM, patches and all...

uav-tanker-470-0310.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2007
Interesting that you show a couple Global Hawks in air to air mode (old stuff) instead of the Predator. Did Wiki let you down on the Predator :)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Interesting that you show a couple Global Hawks in air to air mode (old stuff) instead of the Predator. Did Wiki let you down on the Predator :)

Nope! I know because of personal links to data and stuff! It's not a secret nor is it public domain data!

The above picture is ONLY and illustration and NOT of an actual or real refueling of UAVs carried out for photos!

Wiki is where you go and get your stuff!

Let me show you something:

Try and spot this picture I posted of the Guardian in San Isidro at the source of all the pictures from the public area:

This is the link to the pictures and article from DNCD:
Jefes DNCD y Marina muestran a prensa avi?n

Find this picture in the image gallery:

0%20avion%20predactor%205.jpg

May 5, 2007
Pichardo, with all due respect, even the dullest observer can see the Predators are pusher turboprop. The picture/illustration/daguerreotype is of turbojet Global Hawks. Your so called inside information has never impressed me

I am proud of you though, I have never seen anyone try so hard to prover a false point, not particularly here, but on malls, economy etc. keep up the work though, it's entertaining

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, with all due respect, even the dullest observer can see the Predators are pusher turboprop. The picture/illustration/daguerreotype is of turbojet Global Hawks. Your so called inside information has never impressed me

I am proud of you though, I have never seen anyone try so hard to prover a false point, not particularly here, but on malls, economy etc. keep up the work though, it's entertaining

Whatever fills your cup...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The Guardians first major pay off:

OPERATION ANVIL AND HAMMER
Authorities seized one metric ton of cocaine
In the operation were arrested four Colombians

3435DDC2-B845-4CCD-9FCD-762B3812F341.jpeg

Santo Domingo
A multi-million dollar stash of cocaine, more than one thousand kilograms, was seized by the National Drugs Control Agency (DNCD), the Navy, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the Coast Guard during the operation called ' Anvil and Hammer ', in which 4 Colombian citizens were arrested, who manned a speedboat in which was transported the drug.

The information was provided last night by DNCD president, Major General Rolando Rosado Mateo, who identified the detainees as Aluchom Castro, Arechelleo Bocaleo, Rub?n Bucaria and Micton Sretellea, all handed over to U.S. authorities and taken to Puerto Rico with the cocaine to be processed by a U.S. Court. The drugs were distributed in 40 packs, 25 packs each.

It was a combined operation, said Rosado, who began at 11:15 pm on Sunday, 280 nautical miles off the coast of Barahona, it was necessary to employ three Navy ships, which got supported by two of that institution boats and spy planes from the U.S. Coast Guard and the Customs Service Protection (CBP) to take the drug at a distance of 18 nautical miles from Santo Domingo.

DNCD teams and Navy chased the boat with Colombian cocaine and for six hours, managing to encircle the vessel 18 miles off the coast of the Dominican capital, the report said. For the Navy coastguard were employed Orion, Capella and Canopus and two boats of that institution and a DNCD helicopter according to Rosado.

He said "this has been one of the most successful operations in recent months and in which, through the joint efforts of our institutions and agencies of the United States, it was possible to seize such a large amount of cocaine from South America," had it not been interdicted it would have landed and then carried to the U.S., perhaps via Puerto Rico, and Europe.

Autoridades se incautan de mil kilos de coca?na - listindiario.com

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

Sorry... this is off topic, but the photographer in me can't look at these photos and not comment! And besides... there are a lot of other comments about the aircraft photos. lol

These VIP's need some media training. Most are assuming the classic "fig leaf" position, with their hands clasped in front of themselves. This is a very common instinctive defensive posture, (actually a "hiding" reflex, whereby one would be subliminally covering their genitals, but not quite so overt). People routinely put into public media should be coached about this and a number of other things.

Pichardo... maybe you can recommend this to your P.R. friends in the D.R. govt.

Last edited: