Supermercado janet's (cabarete)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"AE", That was 50 years ago, things have changed since then!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p
I "KILL" Me!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Life is too short for me to worry about a few pesos here and there so I don't stress about. That's what it is like in the DR. It probably won't change so why get worked up about it.

Thats what you propably say at the gas station too! Ooh just some pesos never mind! Thats also why they keep doing it. Because you let them. At the end it adds up! And maybe you have money enough but not everybody

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
A big deal over this..I'd say you've had one too many energy drinks.....chill out and move on..geez

I find Janets to be cheaper than Playero.
Gotta agree with a lot of the others getting so upset about this is a bit uptight. I guess it is your pet peeve. We all have are "strange" pet peeves.
Sabaneta and Gasp Her are cheaper so if that is closer to you than La Sirena try those places out.

I bought Pepto from La Sirena last year and it had expired 5 years ago, usually i check dates but didn't this time. I don't think it made me feel better....

The managers have every excuse in the book ready....but we are in the DR. You just gotta go with it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I am not condoning removing the dates from food products, but knowing what the dates actually mean may be important....and it might not be what you think......especially here in the DR where we seem to purchase everything near, on, or maybe after that date on the product.

Food expired? Don't be so quick to toss it - CNN.com

Lindsey

I agree, but I get a doble litro of coke from the supermarket, take a first sip and I already know the best before date is near. A lot of things taste better when still far from their best before date.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Janet is indeed cheaper around 5 peso on every item.

Call me cheap over the little amouts of pesos but i am anoyed not getting my discounts cuz i usualy buy a lot when there is a discout to get the most out of it :) i save quiete a bit by it.

I just get ****ed off by false advertising. If it were in your own country i bet you would mind if they did this constantly.

And the managers are allways like you are the badass for being cheap or asking then to be honest with you.

avuma9yj.jpg

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
actually, as somebody already pointed out, in the UK some of the supermarkets have a policy that if something is incorrectly priced, you get the product for free

I remember a couple of years ago, some chaps found some of the lager incorrectly priced, and rather than just buy some there and then, they called all their friends and went into many supermarkets simultaneously and bought ALL the lager and got it all for free.

lots of consumer protection laws in the uk, I think if there are two advertised prices,the consumer pays the lowest price. however I kinda like the system here of giving a chiclet if you dont have the odd pesos.......as a young kid in the UK my local corner shop also did the same thing (not chiclets obviously, maybe a mint ball or something cannot remember)

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Thats what you propably say at the gas station too! Ooh just some pesos never mind! Thats also why they keep doing it. Because you let them. At the end it adds up! And maybe you have money enough but not everybody

You are 100% right, and I think most of expats went through a similar phase at some point. It's not the money, its the principle - this type of false advertising is yet another form of lying widely practised on the island. That being said, there is absolutely nothing you can do to change this: you will come to the store and argue with them every day and they will blame it on the computer or something else, and keep wasting your time. I noticed Dominicans in general consider a price to be a range rather than a single value and as long as the price they give you is somewhere within this 20% range, they can not understand what you are all agitated about.

You can choose to be 100% right and 100% frustrated or instead mark this off as a minor gringo consumption tax and just ignore it, at least when it comes to low priced items like groceries etc. Focus on the bigger picture, e.g. you think the price of gas is too high? - check out European gas prices, and suddenly it's not so bad, even taking into account whatever scams they may be running on the gas pump.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Yes. The frustration is ongoing...but as has been said they do have competition. I went there to buy cases -yes cases - of water and cerveza. Get to the counter. Ring all the groceries and there is a extra percent - or surtax - or rip off.. whatever you like to call it. So, I said, " Yo quiero sin impuesto y extra" The answer was no. So, I said, " Gracias" and left 20,000rd of items, walked out and went directly to Gaspar where there the price was less, there was no extra fee - and they gladly delivered everything for me.

When enough people do it...and call them on it...they will either change - or go out of business. It does happen.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
@ caribeman, that is the solution we should organise whole days of that, get them in line......

I ve done that in europe where they have 4 tills up and running ( out of 62 tills) and there are huge queues, I leave my trolley in the Q and head home.

I ve noticed in la sirena that stuff is more expensive in bigger quantities, which just shows supermarkets just think we are plain dumb or something.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yea, the DR ALRIGHT!...I have a charge account with my future sister In Law, owns a bodega. I never looked at my bills, just cared about the bottom line when the end of the Month was close..I was being charged 20 pesos per delivery!!! Now I will try to make this short...I was the one that suggested that they deliver, they never did..I convinced them to do so because my background has been Business and being their location, losing a ton of money and of course the amount that I spend alone, about 17,000 per Month and its only because I really need too, is well worth it. So, they bought a second hand moped and use their son for their deliveries..I never thought in a Million Years they would do such a thing..Another bodega close to me walking, would charge 10 pesos for any delivery under 100 pesos..Okay, I kind of get that..However, be smart about it! bury it within the prices of what you sell, never allow your customer to see it...So, I had Antonia call her sister. it stopped! The moral of the story is, my so called family was ripping me off!! Its buyer beware by the tenfold her in the DR...And if you're a Gringo, HA!!! you're paying 70 pesos for milk at the same time the other guy is getting his and paying 55 pesos...Yeah, been there too!! talk about getting your golden shower right in your face....And they know damn well!!

And BTW, Serina has their moments as well..Like you said, lift that tag up with their sale price compared to their normal price..a match!!! DING!!!! DING!!! DING!!! What do we have for him Johnny!!!! BUYER BEWARE!!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
What i find most hilarious, when you discover their trick at the cashier and tell them this product is in special and costs only the amount X sometimes they answer you "Que inteligente!"
Does this mean you are intelligent, when you are able to remember the price tag from point where you put the merchandise in your cart until the point of paying?!?!?!
Also always remember, this country will stop functioning if you take away the calculator!
What you describe, all Supermarkets are doing here. Get used to it and be prepared all time to verify when checking out at the cashier. Nothing you can change here, take it with a smile and be happy when you discovered their trick.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are 100% right, and I think most of expats went through a similar phase at some point. It's not the money, its the principle - this type of false advertising is yet another form of lying widely practised on the island. That being said, there is absolutely nothing you can do to change this: you will come to the store and argue with them every day and they will blame it on the computer or something else, and keep wasting your time. I noticed Dominicans in general consider a price to be a range rather than a single value and as long as the price they give you is somewhere within this 20% range, they can not understand what you are all agitated about.

You can choose to be 100% right and 100% frustrated or instead mark this off as a minor gringo consumption tax and just ignore it, at least when it comes to low priced items like groceries etc. Focus on the bigger picture, e.g. you think the price of gas is too high? - check out European gas prices, and suddenly it's not so bad, even taking into account whatever scams they may be running on the gas pump.

it is the local custom of getting an unfair advantage. i am not qualified to analyze the sociological factors that create that condition, but it exists. i am a rabid domino player. i love the game, but i play for the competition. where i play, there is nothing at stake. you neither lose, nor win, material things, yet there are always guys who have perfected the art of shuffling the deck, to get the best cards, and give the opponents all the doubles. it happens at every table i play. it is more critical to them that they learn that skill, rather than the actual skills of reading the sequences of the game.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What i find most hilarious, when you discover their trick at the cashier and tell them this product is in special and costs only the amount X sometimes they answer you "Que inteligente!"
Does this mean you are intelligent, when you are able to remember the price tag from point where you put the merchandise in your cart until the point of paying?!?!?!
Also always remember, this country will stop functioning if you take away the calculator!
What you describe, all Supermarkets are doing here. Get used to it and be prepared all time to verify when checking out at the cashier. Nothing you can change here, take it with a smile and be happy when you discovered their trick.
It still surprises me when I pay 4000 pesos in 500 pesos bills and they tap into their calculator: 500 x 8.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It still surprises me when I pay 4000 pesos in 500 pesos bills and they tap into their calculator: 500 x 8.

here is one you should never do;

let us say that your bill is 93 pesos. you do not want 7 pesos on change, but you would rather a single 10 peso coin instead. so you give them a 100 peso bill, plus 3 pesos. they will never figure that one out.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Had that happen in the State considering it was a year ago so I am sure they have invented something in their computerized cash registers now..haha....Just try to give a walmart, home depot, burger king, gas station worker a penny over to make a round number for change and they look at you like you had an eye in the middle of your head, or better yet they put it in their "complimentary" penny dish (made for the workers who can't add!) and still give you a handful of change instead of one coin......oh my and if the power goes out...they don't even know how to use a calculator!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It's not just in the DR, it happens in the US too. What you need to do is write down the prices
of items that are on sale(I take a little notepad with me, when I shop). I've bought food items
in Walmart many times that were are on sale, but when I checked the receipts at home, they
were marked at regular price. This has happened to me also in supermarkets. I just take the
receipts to customer service and they refund my money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THAT's The BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
There, they give you your money back without hesitation, or excuses.
HERE, you would think you just stole the money from the cash register!
I USED to go to "Carefor" when they first opened.
They NEVER had small change at the register.
At first, I though they were getting the "Bugs Out" of their system.
As time passed, it kept happening, every time I checked out, and the amount was getting up to 10 pesos each time!
Last time I told the clerk to go find me my ten pesos!!!!!
She pointed to the candy display and said, "Take A Mint".
I reached over and took an imported chocolate bar.
She said, "That costs More than 10 pesos!!!
I opened it, started eating it, and, as I walked away, I told her,"I don't have any change, Wanna bite?????
My "Gringo" friend who was with me said,"You Can't Do THAT!!!"
I said, "I Just DID!!!!" :eek::eek::eek:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
When a large supermarket "F*#ks" me, I get 10 pounds of "Jumbo Shrimp", or 4 pounds of imported cheese, then hide it somewhere they won't find it before the rats do, or the "Stink" get too bad! :devious::devious::devious: