Sushi rest. Santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Was the couple orders of Sashimi enough for you satisfy your craving? I mean did you share the Sushi as well? I am thinking about order in and have sashimi dinner this weekend along with saved up Korean drink. As a big eater I don't know if dozen or so pieces of Sashimi would fill me up. I am going to order what you had and chicken tender for my son and perhaps Tuna Tataki for insurance. I wouldn't want my wife to cook ramen soup if it isn't necessary.

I DON'T SHARE MY SAHIMI....I don't love anyone that much.........lol
Just got back to this thread, sorry didn't see your question sooner.........
I was stuffed from the 2 orders. Figuring less than 10 bucks for both, why not.....
It seems like they are out of the Octopus which is the third fish of the Sashima Platter, so they load up on the Salmon and Tuna. It really tastes great. Ask for extra Soy sauce and ginger, they skimp a little.
I am a pretty good eater, but the 2 orders for myself only was plenty.
They cut the sashima in very large pieces, not quite used to that, but the more the merrier.
As far as sharing the Sushi, my girlfriend wouldn't touch it because there were green onions inside.
Didn't have room for the sushi and I won't eat sushi the next day, afraid of bacteria building up in raw fish, so it saw the garbage. Not worth getting sick over 5 bucks.

Pollg that sounds sooooo good, it's on for tonight
....:classic:

B in Santiago

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We had Sushi Ya for dinner yesterday. I had two orders of sashimi and two orders of sushi plus Tuna Tataki last night and I can honestly say that their rolls are definitely worth it and I will be ordering again soon. As sashimi goes their portions were good and like waytogo said we got two generous portions of salmon and tuna but tuna was too brownish colored. Tuna Tataki was kind of disappointment for us this time..

So here's my overall rating on Sushi Ya...
Solid C+ for whole ordering in experience.
Sushi = B Good I will order again and next time I'll try other rolls they offer.
Sashimi = C salmon was good and tuna was iffy at best, both cuts were way too big. I cut them down 1/2 before we had it.
Tuna Tataki = D- Maybe tataki I know is different from everyone else. It doesn't come remotely close as tataki I know.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Glad you first mentioned the Tuna Tataki not being so good...........
I had another home delivery last Saturday night and the Tuna Tataki was included.....
The Sashima was excellent, but This time the pizza was just "fair" .............
The Tuna Tataki was terrible...........
Little pieces of baked and hard tuna (scrap pieces) without any Sesame seed or sauce whatsoever.........
It was in a "sauce" if you can call it that, made entirely of soy sauce and chopped green onion.........N/G.......
I didn't mention it because I thought maybe they didn't understand my order.........
And gave me something else on the menu......but, nothing on the menu was like this.........
Going to make my own Sashimi at home........

B in Santiago

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Glad you first mentioned the Tuna Tataki not being so good...........
I had another home delivery last Saturday night and the Tuna Tataki was included.....
The Sashima was excellent, but This time the pizza was just "fair" .............
The Tuna Tataki was terrible...........
Little pieces of baked and hard tuna (scrap pieces) without any Sesame seed or sauce whatsoever.........
It was in a "sauce" if you can call it that, made entirely of soy sauce and chopped green onion.........N/G.......

I didn't mention it because I thought maybe they didn't understand my order.........
And gave me something else on the menu......but, nothing on the menu was like this.........
Going to make my own Sashimi at home........

B in Santiago
It was the same tuna leftover chunks in same soy sauce. It was complete disappointment. But like I said the rolls they made were pretty good. I recommend Sushi Ya to those in Santiago who wants sushi and don't want to go to Marisos Centros or other expensive places just to eat sushi. Rolls left very good impression on me and my wife, we will be trying every roll on their menu. For those don't know http://www.menu.com.do has Sushi Ya Santiago menu on their site. I will order more rolls when we are in the mood for sushi.

So where are you going to get the fresh enough fish to prepare sashimi at home? I would love to have fresh one as well. I went to Maimon last Saturday to see if they had any fresh enough fish or Lobsters, but I only saw fishes being washed in muddy water and being spread with salt. Needless to say I just walked away with empty ice box. I miss my NY/NJ places that had freshest fishes and Lobster tail as sashimi. I prepared Lobster sashimi at home long time ago and it turned out pretty good. Me thinking I will be having lot of fishes here(island?), I have brought a huge bag of wasabi powder that you only get in restaurants. I don't think my wife opened it or she used very little to prepare few dishes and I am afraid it will go bad in few months. :(

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It was the same tuna leftover chunks in same soy sauce. It was complete disappointment. But like I said the rolls they made were pretty good. I recommend Sushi Ya to those in Santiago who wants sushi and don't want to go to Mariscos Centro's or other expensive places just to eat sushi. Rolls left very good impression on me and my wife, we will be trying every roll on their menu. For those don't know http://www.menu.com.do has Sushi Ya Santiago menu on their site. I will order more rolls when we are in the mood for sushi.

So where are you going to get the fresh enough fish to prepare sashimi at home? I would love to have fresh one as well. I went to Maimon last Saturday to see if they had any fresh enough fish or Lobsters, but I only saw fishes being washed in muddy water and being spread with salt. Needless to say I just walked away with empty ice box. I miss my NY/NJ places that had freshest fishes and Lobster tail as sashimi. I prepared Lobster sashimi at home long time ago and it turned out pretty good. Me thinking I will be having lot of fishes here(island?), I have brought a huge bag of wasabi powder that you only get in restaurants. I don't think my wife opened it or she used very little to prepare few dishes and I am afraid it will go bad in few months. :(

I buy my fish from National, it looks fresh and I always smell the fish when I purchase. The problem isn't getting fresh fish, the problem is eating fresh fish without ingesting the live parasites. Never use fresh water fish and you have to pre-freeze the salt-water fish to an internal temperature of -4?F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present. Home freezers are usually between 0?F and 10?F and may not be cold enough to kill the parasites. My old Amana gets to -10 degrees F. Or if you have a commercial freezer, -35 degrees F for a minimum of 15 hours.

These parasites can be crippling and deadly so when you or I eat sushi....buyer beware.......
I'll buy 1/2 of that wasabi from you if you want, and put it in a freezer in a zip freezer bag...........
Will last forever..........

B in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Me thinks that Sonny Koreano needs to go to Punta Rucia with my son!!! The boats come in with the fish early in the morning!!

Makes your mouth water!!

HB

BTW: I had the pleasure of meeting Koreano for the first time the other day. He is one large fellow and quite personable. When I say large, he is at least 6'2" and 240....my guess. so he eats!! And works 14 hour days...you all know how it is in the free zone...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Sorry guys that tried the tuna tataki on my recommendation and didn't like it...I haven't had it in a few months, but Ive had it dozens of times and it was great every time. Ive watched them make it several times...started with a smail "loin" of tuna, seared it nicely, sliced it perfectly than drizzled it with sesame seeds, green onion and decent ponzu sauce...and served it with small pieces of avocado...maybe they've changed it since...

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
David, not a problem and please don't stop your recommendations because of 1 or 2 items........
Recipes normally don't change................cooks do.........
They have 3 enticing menus so they haven't lost me yet............lol
I've been in the finest of restaurants in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York and they are never perfect every time.........
But, I won't have home delivery anymore from Sushi Ya.............
At least I can send back when eating there...........

B in Santiago

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I buy my fish from National, it looks fresh and I always smell the fish when I purchase. The problem isn't getting fresh fish, the problem is eating fresh fish without ingesting the live parasites. Never use fresh water fish and you have to pre-freeze the salt-water fish to an internal temperature of -4?F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present. Home freezers are usually between 0?F and 10?F and may not be cold enough to kill the parasites. My old Amana gets to -10 degrees F. Or if you have a commercial freezer, -35 degrees F for a minimum of 15 hours.

These parasites can be crippling and deadly so when you or I eat sushi....buyer beware.......
I'll buy 1/2 of that wasabi from you if you want, and put it in a freezer in a zip freezer bag...........
Will last forever..........

B in Santiago
I wish you luck buying fish from Nacional for sashimi. I don't know how it will turn out but I would not be able to buy fish at any supermarket (unless it's Asian supermarket) and eat fish as Sashimi. I haven't had any fresh water sashimi yet but once my father said some Koreans and Japanese eat select fresh fish as sashimi but it's very few species of fish that is clean enough to eat.

I'll ask my wife what she did with all the wasabi powder that I bought. Perhaps I can share some...

Dec 26, 2011
I make a sauce with soy sauce, fresh ginger, fresh cilantro, fresh garlic, fresh-squeezed lime juice, sesame seeds and sriracha chili paste. I put it on seared tuna but it's equally good on chicken breasts and steak and pork loin.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Me thinks that Sonny Koreano needs to go to Punta Rucia with my son!!! The boats come in with the fish early in the morning!!

Makes your mouth water!!

HB

BTW: I had the pleasure of meeting Koreano for the first time the other day. He is one large fellow and quite personable. When I say large, he is at least 6'2" and 240....my guess. so he eats!! And works 14 hour days...you all know how it is in the free zone...
LOL...
Like I said it's got to be that bio-engineered milk I drank in state when I was kid. ;)

I do love food. Especially good meat and fishes/seafood. Me and my wife try to relieve our DR stress over some quality food and drinks I can find here. So far there were few places that we liked and keep searching for more. Like you said working at free zone is taking away most of my time and 14 hours a day is a norm and when we get busy I'll be lucky if I only spend 18+ hours.

Likewise, although it was brief, it was nice meeting you. Perhaps in near future, sit down and cold beer should be in our todo list.

Edit: Punta Rucia sounds wonderful... :) If I can find time. :(