Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

Jan 9, 2004
I bet these could be a game changer if the price isn't too high:

Fun car for rich kids in the DR. Not very practical........but a lot of fun. Owned a version in the 70's....fun car on a VW chassis

I would expect one of the less expensive Indian or Chinese EV manufacturers to try to import to the DR in the not too distant future.

Companies like Mahindra (Indian) and Changli (Chinese) make rock bottom priced electrics. Of course you get what you pay for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
One of the things I have realized since living here in the 🇩🇴 is that I often paid much more in my country of origin than for the exact same thing that I could get here.
So, I don't agree that "you get what you pay for" always applies. You pay what you are willing to pay for and hope is is what you think you are getting.

Very practical for the beach or country. In my opinion. Unfortunately I am not rich.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Fun car for rich kids in the DR. Not very practical........but a lot of fun. Owned a version in the 70's....fun car on a VW chassis

I would expect one of the less expensive Indian or Chinese EV manufacturers to try to import to the DR in the not too distant future.

Companies like Mahindra (Indian) and Changli (Chinese) make rock bottom priced electrics. Of course you get what you pay for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I met a guy in Puerto Plata that builds custom dune buggy type vehicles and sells them to the wealthy in Santo Domingo,claimed he couldn't build them fast enough. He took me for a ride in his personal buggy,a fun toy and fast as hell.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
In an electric dune buggy all the torque will be there instantly along with no noice.
That is going to make it a very unique vehicle.

Meyers Manx 2.0

Reactions: JD Jones

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Yesterday I went to Playero and when I came out of the store there was a red Tesla Model X parked next to me,not in the charging station but in the general parking. When I left Playero two minutes later I was driving on Pedro Clisante and I noticed that a second Model X (white) was in front of me. The Model X is a $125Kusd car in the U.S.,what would that car cost to buy here or import to here,$200K? The white one had a paper temp? plate on it and already had a crease in the bumper LOL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
New Model X for $169,900

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Electric cars bursting into flames after being exposed to sea water is certainly an issue that needs to be looked at. Let's not forget that salt water is a great conductor of electricity. Large battery banks in an electric car provide many more amps than is necessary to kill someone if a person comes into contact with an electric field from a vehicles' shorting battery. So after a storm with lots of salt water flooding, not only do you have to be wary of downed live powerlines that are submerged in water now you also have to be cautious of your or your neighbor's EV if you need to go walking about before that flood water has receded.

The more parked electric vehicles the greater the numerical risk to life. Thus far not too many multi thousand dollar battery banks in this country to be encountered after a flood. Something that occurs often in this country.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Electric cars bursting into flames after being exposed to sea water is certainly an issue that needs to be looked at. Let's not forget that salt water is a great conductor of electricity. Large battery banks in an electric car provide many more amps than is necessary to kill someone if a person comes into contact with an electric field from a vehicles' shorting battery. So after a storm with lots of salt water flooding, not only do you have to be wary of downed live powerlines that are submerged in water now you also have to be cautious of your or your neighbor's EV if you need to go walking about before that flood water has receded.

The more parked electric vehicles the greater the numerical risk to life. Thus far not too many multi thousand dollar battery banks in this country to be encountered after a flood. Something that occurs often in this country.
Tesla has estimated it takes 8000 to 10000 gallons to extinguish a battery fire in one of their cars.

3 times the amount for a regular car.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not trying to go off-topic but it aint just cars.
Here's a bus.
Gone in 60 seconds?
Try 10.
Something Team Luis should think about
should they decide to start drinking the
green Kool-Aid.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We went through the same nonsense with the stand on electric deck hover scooter (or whatever they're called)

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
The DR is not an optimal market for electric vehicles for all the blatantly obvious reasons.

Electric vehicles have been rushed ontop productions and as illustrated they have potential issues that few if any countries are prepared to handle.

Then there are all the issues with how, and from where, and who are mining all the essential rare elements that are essential components, the impact on the Earth, climate change, etc... They're so far from "green" it's not even funny.

If you want an electric vehicle go for it, and when it blows up in your driveway....you're on your own as far as I'm concerned.

• Haha

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
It's amazing how the power of suggestion can cloud some peoples views to the obvious.Without doubt there are some powerfully super rich fat cats who's main purpose is to protect their cash cows IE "Big oil".Where to start?Yes the current crop of ev's indeed leave much to be desired when it comes to the carbon foot print they leave behind Cobalt being the chief element which is being stripped from the usual parts of the world that have given us such gems as Blood diamonds and of course the ultra yuppie must have, Quinoa.But if you really believe the the electric car is a passing fad, you are sorely mistaken.
Billion $$$$ corps such as GM,Ford,Volvo have gone all in when it comes to ev's and have announced termination dates for ICE (internal combustion engine )vehicles on their assembly lines.its not only coming, it's here to stay.

As far as tech advances over the years we have so much to pick from at random, 20yrs ago you couldn't make cell phone call without repeatedly asking can you here me now? to present day we can text, call,record,and video chat all on one slim device.The ICE vehicle you now drive was once a steam propelled nuclear explosion waiting to happen to now being a super quiet automatic luxury cabin cruise and or rocket ship.What pray tell am I getting at?TECHNOLOGY! it's just a matter of time that the auto makers will be turning out the common man electrics at a more reasonable price. Much like anything,you are now paying for R&D and the market is focused on the FOMO crowd that will and do pay the extravagant cost of being 1st on the list.It won't be long till Toyota makes the proverbial Camry or in Honda's case the civic and just like today, they will be relatively affordable and in a few years the used market will be the same.I wouldn't worry about The DR being left out of the ev craze.From my very first trip to my most recent it's obvious to anyone with eyes the island has a thriving youthful generation who are doing quite well for themselves an electric vehicles shouldn't be a problem for them.

And as far as exploding vehicles on driveways, even in the most dystopian movie that is now playing on Netflix that does not happen to be the case. Yes there have been some vehicles with batteries that have gone up in flames. That too, is in no small part due to the fact that we are in a keeping up with the Joneses scenario and thanks to Swift (well not so swift ) recalls they seem to have gotten to the bottom of their issues with the battery manufacturers.
And last but not least, the all too hilarious Range anxiety! Ask yourself when was the last time you had a daily commute that was 150 miles each way also ask yourself when was the last time that you had to fill your tank every single day from zero? Horse and buggy eventually led to the family sedan of course not without its hiccups and fully electric will take the same path with the same if not more hiccups, but it will happen!

• Haha

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you stream network TV from the states you'll quickly tire of all the EV vehicles that are now available. The manufacturers are already into EV's in a massive way, with massive prices.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's amazing how the power of suggestion can cloud some peoples views to the obvious.Without doubt there are some powerfully super rich fat cats who's main purpose is to protect their cash cows IE "Big oil".Where to start?Yes the current crop of ev's indeed leave much to be desired when it comes to the carbon foot print they leave behind Cobalt being the chief element which is being stripped from the usual parts of the world that have given us such gems as Blood diamonds and of course the ultra yuppie must have, Quinoa.But if you really believe the the electric car is a passing fad, you are sorely mistaken.
Billion $$$$ corps such as GM,Ford,Volvo have gone all in when it comes to ev's and have announced termination dates for ICE (internal combustion engine )vehicles on their assembly lines.its not only coming, it's here to stay.

As far as tech advances over the years we have so much to pick from at random, 20yrs ago you couldn't make cell phone call without repeatedly asking can you here me now? to present day we can text, call,record,and video chat all on one slim device.The ICE vehicle you now drive was once a steam propelled nuclear explosion waiting to happen to now being a super quiet automatic luxury cabin cruise and or rocket ship.What pray tell am I getting at?TECHNOLOGY! it's just a matter of time that the auto makers will be turning out the common man electrics at a more reasonable price. Much like anything,you are now paying for R&D and the market is focused on the FOMO crowd that will and do pay the extravagant cost of being 1st on the list.It won't be long till Toyota makes the proverbial Camry or in Honda's case the civic and just like today, they will be relatively affordable and in a few years the used market will be the same.I wouldn't worry about The DR being left out of the ev craze.From my very first trip to my most recent it's obvious to anyone with eyes the island has a thriving youthful generation who are doing quite well for themselves an electric vehicles shouldn't be a problem for them.

And as far as exploding vehicles on driveways, even in the most dystopian movie that is now playing on Netflix that does not happen to be the case. Yes there have been some vehicles with batteries that have gone up in flames. That too, is in no small part due to the fact that we are in a keeping up with the Joneses scenario and thanks to Swift (well not so swift ) recalls they seem to have gotten to the bottom of their issues with the battery manufacturers.
And last but not least, the all too hilarious Range anxiety! Ask yourself when was the last time you had a daily commute that was 150 miles each way also ask yourself when was the last time that you had to fill your tank every single day from zero? Horse and buggy eventually led to the family sedan of course not without its hiccups and fully electric will take the same path with the same if not more hiccups, but it will happen!
The main issue is having enough electricity to charge them.

Reactions: XTraveller

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The way the electric bills are calculated here where the more you use, the more you pay, will the average Dominican want an electric car even if the prices do come down?

Reactions: XTraveller