Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone want to bet on Hydrogen fueled cars?

Hyundai already has one on the market: The Nexo.

How much does a home hydrolysis station cost?

I think alternatives are good, but until we have controlled nuclear fusion, I am not betting on hydrogen fueled cars.
After we have unlimited energy from fusion, all bets are off.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How much does a home hydrolysis station cost?

I think alternatives are good, but until we have controlled nuclear fusion, I am not betting on hydrogen fueled cars.
After we have unlimited energy from fusion, all bets are off.
No idea, but it's pretty clear Hyundai has that figured out if they're offering hydrogen vehicles for sale. They are even including 5 years of free fuel to anyone who buys one.

Maybe check out their website?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think they have it figured out in the DR. Where is the hydrogen fuel station in Puerto Plata Province, for example?

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hydrogen makes sense - when and if they can get the cost of hydrogen production down.
They have the range to go the same as a gasoline powered car.
This reflects my thoughts on the matter:
Why don’t we use fuel cells more often?
Hydrogen is NOT a viable fuel. The easiest process to create hydrogen is to use natural gas. Natural gas is ALREADY A FUEL! Why would we take the extra step?
The other main way to create hydrogen is to use electrolysis. This takes prodigious amounts of electricity. I mean TONS of electricity. It is horribly inefficient. You are simply FAR better off to use the electricity to CHARGE BATTERIES. Again…why take the EXTRA STEP?
They have there NICHE…typically in SPACE where they can use ROCKET FUEL (hydrogen and LOX) to generate electricity without direct combustion. Not efficient to create hydrogen…but you are IN SPACE.

(And note regarding the OP, they are not pure "electric" cars like a Tesla is, they use hydrogen to power fuel cells that drive motors. )