Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some EVs have annual battery certification tests that must be performed and the owner pays for them

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I am unaware of any EV manufacturer in the US that requires an annual battery certification.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Mercedes for sure and I heard also BMW are two that will require that annual certification (at the dealer) to maintain battery warranty

Jan 9, 2004
Mercedes for sure and I heard also BMW are two that will require that annual certification (at the dealer) to maintain battery warranty
Confirmed with a Mercedes Dealer that annual battery maintenance certifications will NOT be required. They will perform testing (free of charge) as a part of their customer care service when an EV is brought in for routine service.

Mercedes EV's are set to go on sale in the US this spring.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Jan. 17, 2022
Europeans bought more electric cars than diesels in December, a stunning illustration of the growing popularity of battery power and the decline of diesel, which was once the most popular engine option in Europe.
More than 20 percent of new cars sold in Europe and Britain in December were powered solely by electricity, according to data compiled by Matthias Schmidt, an analyst in Berlin who tracks electric vehicles sales. Sales of diesel vehicles, which as recently as 2015 accounted for more than half of the new cars in the European Union, slipped below 19 percent.
The December figures illustrate how electric vehicles are fast becoming mainstream. Sales of battery-powered cars soared in Europe, the United States and China last year while sales of conventional vehicles stagnated. Government incentives have made electric vehicles more affordable, the variety of electric cars to choose from has grown and buyers have become more conscious of the environmental cost of vehicles powered by internal combustion engines.
The growth of electric vehicles was all the more remarkable considering that the overall car market is in crisis. Sales of all new cars in the European Union fell more than 20 percent in November as a shortage of semiconductors strangled production, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Jan. 17, 2022
Europeans bought more electric cars than diesels in December, a stunning illustration of the growing popularity of battery power and the decline of diesel, which was once the most popular engine option in Europe.
More than 20 percent of new cars sold in Europe and Britain in December were powered solely by electricity, according to data compiled by Matthias Schmidt, an analyst in Berlin who tracks electric vehicles sales. Sales of diesel vehicles, which as recently as 2015 accounted for more than half of the new cars in the European Union, slipped below 19 percent.
The December figures illustrate how electric vehicles are fast becoming mainstream. Sales of battery-powered cars soared in Europe, the United States and China last year while sales of conventional vehicles stagnated. Government incentives have made electric vehicles more affordable, the variety of electric cars to choose from has grown and buyers have become more conscious of the environmental cost of vehicles powered by internal combustion engines.
The growth of electric vehicles was all the more remarkable considering that the overall car market is in crisis. Sales of all new cars in the European Union fell more than 20 percent in November as a shortage of semiconductors strangled production, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association.
Since we know the first law of thermodynamics (no it is not that governments always demand more money) but that energy is neither created nor destroyed, it just changes form.
So that rule being accepted - some form of energy must be used to charge these cars. Much of that will come from hydro in certain areas, elsewhere it must be natural gas or oil or even nuclear. Some wind and solar will contribute.
But the overall reduction in fossil fuels will be minimal until such time as there is further energy developments or more solar - because they won't build more dams, and nuclear plants that decades to get approved (if at all). Unless they can get solar panels to cover the entire care to charge batteries ?

But I think the big picture everyone is missing is that the natural resource which will be in shortest supply is fresh water - which is being depleted in many areas of the West now and also in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hydro.....for those in the dark, is hydroelectric power.....

In Canada, they use 'hydro poles' in stead of utility poles.....different terminology

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hydro is hardly significant in the DR. Oil, coal and eventually natural gas will be the mainstays along with some wind and some solar power.

Enough infrastructure creation for E-Cars remains to be seen. I think it will be possible for the next generation. Maybe.

CORRAPPLATA still falls on its face regarding "fresh" water.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hydro is hardly significant in the DR. Oil, coal and eventually natural gas will be the mainstays along with some wind and some solar power.

Enough infrastructure creation for E-Cars remains to be seen. I think it will be possible for the next generation. Maybe.

CORRAPPLATA still falls on its face regarding "fresh" water.
DR doesn't have enough clean water.
Maybe if they stop making beer they would have more - but what w? ould we live for?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Electric outsold diesels in Europe for the first time last year.
Want' that for sedans only, not combined ?
What happens when they all are electric and they manage to raise electric rates and put in penalties for using too much juice or charging during peak demand or put in GPS trackers for mileage taxes ?
Governments will find a way to hyper-tax EVs

Jan 9, 2004
Most countries, particularly in Europe, have made a rush to EV's without really understanding the longer term consequences and challenges they face.

Certainly the future looks to be electric, but more time and a bridge is needed to achieve maximum electrification.

The bridge to EV's are, in my opinion, plug-in hybrids. Countries would do well to offer similar incentives for people to buy them as are already in place for EV's.

Case in point is the DR. They only offer tax incentives for full EV's. With limited but growing infrastructure, the transition to EV's which is what it seems the powers want, could better be served by offering the same/similar tax breaks for plug-in hybrids.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Most countries, particularly in Europe, have made a rush to EV's without really understanding the longer term consequences and challenges they face.

Certainly the future looks to be electric, but more time and a bridge is needed to achieve maximum electrification.

The bridge to EV's are, in my opinion, plug-in hybrids. Countries would do well to offer similar incentives for people to buy them as are already in place for EV's.

Case in point is the DR. They only offer tax incentives for full EV's. With limited but growing infrastructure, the transition to EV's which is what it seems the powers want, could better be served by offering the same/similar tax breaks for plug-in hybrids.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
A Hybrid Prius gets 58 MPG - what more do we need for those who can use a little car.
My days of crawling in and out of a low-to-ground skateboard are over however.
While I hate the high cost of fuel I will not live my last 15 years in an uncomfortable vehicle

Reactions: thompstr
Jan 9, 2004
A Hybrid Prius gets 58 MPG - what more do we need for those who can use a little car.
My days of crawling in and out of a low-to-ground skateboard are over however.
While I hate the high cost of fuel I will not live my last 15 years in an uncomfortable vehicle
There is no need to feel uncomfortable or sacrifice comfort. There are lots of plug-in hybrid SUV's that get outstanding mileage.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: drstock