Taino Bay - New Cruise port in Puerto Plata

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It was built by Carnival. But I'd like to see where it was for their exclusive use. Good point about the guarantee. What if they can't meet that number? This is like Carnival on Grand Turk and other Cruise lines use it too. It's business and all about maximizing profits. Look at Disney's Atlantis and Paradise Island. Every cruise ship company uses the facility and pays Disney. It just doesn't make economic sense to have two properties in the same location selling exactly the same thing.

From the link of the OP...……..

How does one interpret this?

Mexico's ITM Group will be putting $80m into the first stage of Taino Bay's development, which includes the two-berth pier and landside facilites. Some dredging is required to bring the navigation channel and turning basin depth to 11.5 meters/38 feet, and an old power plant and fishing pier will be removed. The existing cargo finger pier will be expanded to 400 meters/1,312 feet, to enable a pair of Oasis-size ships alongside. In the second stage, an additional 300-meter/984-foot extension is planned so three Oasis-size ships could call simultaneously.

The president of the Dominican Republic is due to announce the project on July 30, and construction is set to begin in 60 days, Shamosh said.

'We have some ships scheduled for as early as winter 2019 even though the land facilities won't be ready, but the pier and some basic services will be there,' he said. The entire project, including the land side, is expected to be ready by summer 2020. A million passengers are projected during the 2020/21 season.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Caonabo, I was saying that I'm not sure yet if Royal Caribbean will be using Amber Cove facilities for their Passengers. Not about day passes. If they are going to be building a facility, I will find out about it. Nothing gets build without water and wastewater plants and that's how I'll know soon enough. Sorry that wasn't clear in my last post.

No troubles. It was I who misinterpreted the context of the statement. Though I am still interested to know if outsiders can indeed gain access to the Cove and it's facilities, or is it simply limited to it's respective cruise goers.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No troubles. It was I who misinterpreted the context of the statement. Though I am still interested to know if outsiders can indeed gain access to the Cove and it's facilities, or is it simply limited to it's respective cruise goers.

No day passes, cruise passengers only.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
It was hinted long ago that another cruise ship port was being considered at Bergantine beach (just past Playa Dorada). Anyone know what's happening to that development?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Caonabo, I was saying that I'm not sure yet if Royal Caribbean will be using Amber Cove facilities for their Passengers. Not about day passes. If they are going to be building a facility, I will find out about it. Nothing gets build without water and wastewater plants and that's how I'll know soon enough. Sorry that wasn't clear in my last post.

The original plan shows a great deal will be built around the docks for the Cruise ships. Similar if not more to Amber Cove. Once again, to capture as much money as possible by the cruise company and dock owners. So I expect you will be hearing soon on that point.

If they get 1 million passengers in 2020, that is $10 Million just in "tourist cards" and other taxes to the government.

I have not heard anything about Playa Bergantine. Is there another major cruise ship company that could put in a third port on the north coast?

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

this was recently reported in another thread:

Last year I had family that were on a cruise and their ship stopped at Amber Cove. I wrote to the administration several weeks before the arrived asking for permission for myself and my wife and kids to enter. They were very courteous and sent me permission and arranged that our names were on the list of authorized visitors. It is spectacular inside, Carnival did a fantastic job.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

Cruise ship passengers normally do not pay a tourist card entry. They pay port taxes which is included with their bill when they pick a cruise. The cruise slso pays port fees normally per head or tonnage depending on where in the world (pilot fees etc). Plus any misc barges, fuel, garbage. The lack of ports for large ships in the Western Caribbean and the volume of ship’s is allowing new ports to be built

Grand Cayman - tendering only over 4000 guests and 1200 crew is painful at best plus on high swell days the ships stays at sea.

Costa Maya - nothing special, very flat and open to wind and surf and many ships miss it. Plus not much happening there. Closest hospitals for emergency Playa Carmen

Cozumel - nice island always jammed in the winter 7 ships a day

Ocho Rios - good location activities can’t take big ship’s

Falmouth - not much there 1 hour to major tours, not well received, poor hospital

Roatan - Oasis Class overwhelemed it on the first visit and a tragic accident on a zipline tour

Amber Cove - tours and taxis not well received due to price gouging for return trips from. PP

La Romana - decently recieved golf and tours

Samana - lowest rated port by cruisers in the Caribbean plus tendering

Labadee - private island well received

The good news the pier in the city will slow some of the taxi drama. Also Oasis Class have 2200 crew with about 800 will go out a day in PP. They will use internet and eat. They will also go to La Sirena and Jumbo. The Bourignal Clinic will also grt good business with crew referrals and medical renewals for crew.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi,

Cruise ship passengers normally do not pay a tourist card entry. They pay port taxes which is included with their bill when they pick a cruise. The cruise slso pays port fees normally per head or tonnage depending on where in the world (pilot fees etc). Plus any misc barges, fuel, garbage. The lack of ports for large ships in the Western Caribbean and the volume of ship’s is allowing new ports to be built

Grand Cayman - tendering only over 4000 guests and 1200 crew is painful at best plus on high swell days the ships stays at sea.

Costa Maya - nothing special, very flat and open to wind and surf and many ships miss it. Plus not much happening there. Closest hospitals for emergency Playa Carmen

Cozumel - nice island always jammed in the winter 7 ships a day

Ocho Rios - good location activities can’t take big ship’s

Falmouth - not much there 1 hour to major tours, not well received, poor hospital

Roatan - Oasis Class overwhelemed it on the first visit and a tragic accident on a zipline tour

Amber Cove - tours and taxis not well received due to price gouging for return trips from. PP

La Romana - decently recieved golf and tours

Samana - lowest rated port by cruisers in the Caribbean plus tendering

Labadee - private island well received

The good news the pier in the city will slow some of the taxi drama. Also Oasis Class have 2200 crew with about 800 will go out a day in PP. They will use internet and eat. They will also go to La Sirena and Jumbo. The Bourignal Clinic will also grt good business with crew referrals and medical renewals for crew.

thanks for this posting. very informative.

at least with the DR, it seems as though the cruise lines will be putting up the money for the infrastructure, as opposed to the dumb move by the Jamaican government to pony up 170 million for the port facilities at Falmouth, and the region just plain sucks. if the government does not have to spring for investments like dredging, then there isn't much to lose..

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I seriously doubt it but humor me,how do you suppose that is going to happen?

I think Harp is referring to more walking by the cruisers and much shorter taxi rides. And maybe get some of those emaciated horses from Playa Dorada for buggy rides?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
It was hinted long ago that another cruise ship port was being considered at Bergantine beach (just past Playa Dorada). Anyone know what's happening to that development?

I believe there may be something positive to be announced about that next year. I think there is some preliminary work going on now.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
An interesting project. At $100 Million seems a bit small... for all the noise generated.
Hope it takes off though.

I remember well the International Financial Center of the Americas as well... a dud.
Perhaps Juan Dolio will get the next Space X launch pad and Tesla battery factory.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
Danilo is in town right now breaking ground on this new project which will cost $125 M. Royal Caribbean is confirmed to dock here with their Oasis fleet (biggest cruise-ships in the world right now)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, they had live feed on the local radio this morning too. good news for PP.