Taino symbol?

Agnethe1962

Dec 3, 2008
...and if so, what does it mean? And if not, where does it come from?

This pendant was given to me by a very dear friend, a souvenir from his holidays in the DR. He wore it around his neck before he hung it around mine, and he told me to never take it off again...

Kopievandominicaanserepubliek.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a mass produced Taino-style figurine. Dominican crafts vendors give them out free to tourists to entice them to spend money at their stalls. Make of it what you will.

Agnethe1962

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for your answer. But I would like to know what the symbol stands for. I don't care what pricetag it had or if it was found because someone threw it away, I was given this pendant and therefor it is precious to me...couldn't care less about what it costs. So, is there anyone who can telle me more about the meaning of this symbol, if it has any?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fair enough. The pendant itself is a generic depiction of a Ta?no god - a 'cemi' - probably not any one in particular but a composite based on archaeological artifacts or petroglyphs.

Reactions: FernieBee

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
It means, if I understand from your post, that you have bitten an ancient apple and will continue to dream of it's significance. Do not listen to emails or opinions, but rather to your heartbeat, as you you slumber off on your northern pillow. The wood-carved Taino pendant is very indicative of the culture you may be about to explore. :) It means what you want it to mean. Embrace not the monetary value of a gift from a special friend, but rather the moment in which it was given. That is what dreams are made of.

Reactions: FernieBee

Agnethe1962

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks Hillbilly, for your reaction. But as I said before in my post "I don't care what pricetag it had or if it was found because someone threw it away, I was given this pendant and therefor it is precious to me...". Still it is nice your reacted. And Tflea, thank you, I suppose you're right. Indeed the 'ritual' of this friend to wear the pendant around his neck before he hung it around mine means a lot to me. As I come from the northern part of Europe I am not really aware of the cultures so far away, but your explanation is quite similar to what in my country would be the meaning of the pendant and especially the way this friend gave it to me.
Thank you, and indeed, what is life without dreams?
Thanks to you all, greetings from Europe,
Agnethe