Taking a Dog from DR to Canada

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
I've tried searching for this info but couldn't find it on the internetor DR1. I bring my dog here every winter. In the past I was told that I needed a health certificate to satisfy DR requirements to take my dog home, so I have complied. Canada only needs to see the rabies certificate.

However, I have friends that trvelled home in 2021 that were not asked for their certificate. It seemed like a cash grab to me anyways. Is it still required? Is it only required for dog in cargo?

TIA

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I've tried searching for this info but couldn't find it on the internetor DR1. I bring my dog here every winter. In the past I was told that I needed a health certificate to satisfy DR requirements to take my dog home, so I have complied. Canada only needs to see the rabies certificate.

However, I have friends that trvelled home in 2021 that were not asked for their certificate. It seemed like a cash grab to me anyways. Is it still required? Is it only required for dog in cargo?

TIA
My experience is that each airline has their own rules with the discount lines refusing dogs in cargo.
Some lines refuse what they term "flat faced dogs".

One airline I used had a no pitbull policy.
I had to instruct my vet when he wrote the health clearance that my dog was absolutely a mixed breed mutt.
The airline has a dog person who checks your paperwork and she remarked that my little sweetheart "sure looked like a pitbull".
The mutt flew without incident to the US from SD.
Other issue is time of the year as airlines will not fly if take off and landing temp is predicted to be above a certain temperature.
80 degrees maybe, cannot recall exactly but you will not be flying in the summer out of the DR.
Early am flights work best for the lower temps naturally.
Short version is you have to phone the airline for their rules.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The US is now forbidding anyone from bringing dogs back to the US from DR ....Due to Rabies concerns ......you have to apply for a special exemption which will not be automatically given .......you will be allowed to bring your dog to the DR.....but will be refused on the return journey ......the exemption takes about 6 weeks to obtain if given......i will be starting the process next week

Reactions: Auryn

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

TIA
I travel with my dog all the time back and forth he is old pro even packs his own toys when crate comes out..
you need a health certificate from vet ,once at airport you need to clear dog and pay fee for paperwork clearing dog for export, once in Canada you will pay a fee at custom for bringing dog in .. if you don’t have rabies certificate for dog you will be given 2 weeks to get proof dog has been given shot and provide to them..

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Please don't do it let those Viralatas free and Happy on the streets of Sousa...
That cold weather is going to kill them.

JJ

Reactions: JD Jones

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
FYI …you can travel with your pet back and forth still… just no commercial trade which includes rescues..