Tarantulas (cacatas)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
The standard tourist reaction when encountering a tarantula in the DR ..... :cool:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oRz-6rkpuN8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What an odd comparison you make here between the killing of those Dolphins and eating Tuna.

Why is that odd? They are both just a fish...I don't have any more pity for a Dolphin than I do for a Tuna and I loove sushi.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Tarantulas have become a very popular pet in a lot of European countries. For the love of God, I do not know why.

I know they are quite good in pest control and mosquitos, so whenever I see one I will shoo it out of the house and tell it to go back to work.

Having it crawl all over me, no way.

I wonder why people have pets like that. Snakes, tarantulas, and even worse monkeys, tigers, etc... are wild animals and belong in the wild, and not in small cages.

DV8... I know from experience that people in Poland have some strange habits, but keeping cockroaches as pets? Why do we not start up a business together? You have the contacts, and cockroaches are plenty here... and just imagine how many you can fit in a small box at 10$ a pop.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Why is that odd? They are both just a fish...I don't have any more pity for a Dolphin than I do for a Tuna and I loove sushi.

Don't really see where this discussion would lead to and has nothing to do with this thread so for me it ends here with one remark...a dolphin is a mammal, not a fish.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Don't really see where this discussion would lead to and has nothing to do with this thread so for me it ends here with one remark...a dolphin is a mammal, not a fish.

Yeah it's a mammal but it's still a fish, water creature, whatever you want to call it. Still to me is hipocrisy that people want to save some animals, but could care less about others...now back to your regular scheduled program.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A cow is an mammal, and quite tasty too. :) That being said I think whatever the animal may be if it is close to extinction we as humans should give thought before allowing it to happen. Then again there are thousands of animals that have gone extinct over the centuries with no apparent damage done. Hey, maybe there is a plan after all.........

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Gringo 1, Cacatas 0

Had one in Bavaro...unfortunately I came upon it by surprise for both of us under my sink in kitchen, and my reflex was to pounce...I was faster...large critters first time I ever saw one in a natural setting and not behind glass or crate....

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
The best way to kill a tarantula is with a can of Raid or Baygon. You sneak up on it and when you are close enough, you throw the can at it. It works 100% of the time. Ans, the can is ready to be used again for the next one. Ecologicly sound.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ingrid is deathly afraid of cacatas, as are most Dominicans. If she sees one, she will actually run out of the house screaming.

But, she does that with frogs too.

Having said that, we have a Cacata that has been living in our kitchen since we bought the house. (she hasn't seen it yet, so don't tell her.)

LOL. They don't bother Yris at all, but mice, frogs, and Lizards scare the crap out of both her and her mother.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mortal combat

I left a large Cacata in the house one day and when i returned in the evening it was engaged in a mortal fight with a centipeed. The centipeed lost after he got fanged whilst unfortunately Cacata died the next day from his wounds. It was like Discovery Channel in my front room.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

First I should say I value ALL life. BUT, by it's nature, one life form always feeds on another. (Except most plants. They survive solely on minerals, water, and light.)

You are WAY wrong. A dolphin is NOT a fish. It is a mammal... and a particularly intelligent and social one at that. There IS a fish that is/was called a "dolphin", but now more commonly called a Mahi-Mahi. The beautiful blue/green blunt headed game fish that is also a good fish to eat. The dolphins in that story are the mammals, not the fish.

I don't mean to say that a dolphin, (mammal), has any more right to life than a tuna; but for better or worse we as humans tend to place a greater value on the "higher" life forms. This varies among cultures though. Many places cat and/or dog is common food. Do you propose we all start munching on Fido as a side dish to your sushi?

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
First I should say I value ALL life. BUT, by it's nature, one life form always feeds on another. (Except most plants. They survive solely on minerals, water, and light.)

You are WAY wrong. A dolphin is NOT a fish. It is a mammal... and a particularly intelligent and social one at that. There IS a fish that is/was called a "dolphin", but now more commonly called a Mahi-Mahi. The beautiful blue/green blunt headed game fish that is also a good fish to eat. The dolphins in that story are the mammals, not the fish.

I don't mean to say that a dolphin, (mammal), has any more right to life than a tuna; but for better or worse we as humans tend to place a greater value on the "higher" life forms. This varies among cultures though. Many places cat and/or dog is common food. Do you propose we all start munching on Fido as a side dish to your sushi?

Agreed CaptnGlen....if she thinks its ok to slaughter innocent "air breathing mammals" she is sorely mistaken and misguided. It is an absolute disgrace what happens at that Cove in Japan....

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
wow, talk about a drifting post. lol we started looking for a hedge fence and while I agree about value of life I still can't visualize a tuna nor dolphin needing to worry about sneaking through a cacti hedge. lol
and please, no fish net stories

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
wow, talk about a drifting post. lol we started looking for a hedge fence and while I agree about value of life I still can't visualize a tuna nor dolphin needing to worry about sneaking through a cacti hedge. lol

doesn't this one start with a cacata?

i bet not many of you have seen scorpions here.
we used to find them now and again in the bathroom......in santo domingo (arroyo hondo area).
much smaller compared to your typical african/arab scorpions.

i do admit it has been a few years now since i last saw one.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011

~Now fish net stockings there's a new topic~......ROTFLMOA....you cant make this stuff up.....:bunny::bunny:

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Despite being told by my host mom that I would ~never~ see one, I saw on on my first weekend in Santiago. It climbed through the window after a rainstorm and was executed with her chancleta.

She was way more grumpy than any spider. :X

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now i remember we had a resident cacata too, for some time. it had a nest under the driveway. much to the disbelieve of miesposo i checked on our guest daily, taking a sneak peek into the hole. all i could see was hairly legs backing into the darkness :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
doesn't this one start with a cacata?

i bet not many of you have seen scorpions here.
we used to find them now and again in the bathroom......in santo domingo (arroyo hondo area).
much smaller compared to your typical african/arab scorpions.

i do admit it has been a few years now since i last saw one.
bochinche , I meant cactus so you probably correct, I'll check. We only have black widows and brown recluse around here but that's more than enough.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
now i remember we had a resident cacata too, for some time. it had a nest under the driveway. much to the disbelieve of miesposo i checked on our guest daily, taking a sneak peek into the hole. all i could see was hairly legs backing into the darkness :)
that almost sounds romantic. lol