Tattoo

Becky12082

Jun 21, 2005
Some friends of mine and I are going to Caberete soon, and were looking for a good sanitary tattoo parlour. Is this even a remotely safe thing to do on the island? If so, where is a good one located?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Is there a good reason you want to have it done in DR? I would advise against it for sanitary/safety reasons and the possiblity of equipment being re-used (this could happen anywhere if you didnt know the reputation of the place!). You wouldnt want any possible "complications" ruining your trip!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
At the very least have updated Hepatitis A and B shots ( the latter is a 6 month program) and pray HIV doesn't live long on tattoo needles sine a lot of street girls and hookers have tats.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Becky12082 said:
Some friends of mine and I are going to Caberete soon, and were looking for a good sanitary tattoo parlour. Is this even a remotely safe thing to do on the island? If so, where is a good one located?
You must be planing one drunken party if you are even thinking of getting tattoos in the DR.

Although, I recall one poster saying that her husband is a tattoo artist in the DR. Maybe she'll have some suggestions for you.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
1.) Be Educated about what you're doing, know the needles, know the ink. I would be tempted to bring both my own needles and ink from the US/Canada - at least that way you know they didn't refill the bottles. Would be a bit difficult if you don't know the specifications of the machine though.

2.) Be Educated about who's doing the tattoo, know the artists work. Insist on seeing previous/in progress work done by him/her.

I have had several tattoos done here, thank god all is ok, no infections ect, but the colour quality is pretty bad, I have to get them re-coloured every year or two. If I'd know before what I know now ....

To answer your question, there is a new tattoo shop in Sosua - I haven't been in there yet, maybe you could check them out.

Stay well,
Amy

Jay06

Aug 19, 2005
Becky12082 said:

I just moved to DR recently and I am thinking about getting myself another tattoo but when I decide to do that I will go back to the states and get it done. I think it will be a wiser and safer choice. My suggestion to you would be, is better to be safe than sorry and I think you should just wait till to go back home and get it done in a reputable place that you can see with your own eyes that everything being used on you is new and evreything is sterilized. If you are doing this becuase it might be cheaper, I can guarantee you that back home you can find the same. IF you are doing this for fun then get drunk in a club. Well have fun when you come to DR

Jay

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Get a Henna Tat!

At least you do not have to be concerned with such lovely souvenirs as HVB/C and HIV from less than sanitary needles and ink.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Things to consider

Becky12082 said:

Below are 2 links I suggest you read providing information to consider prior to getting a tattoo, and what to look for in an artist & their shop.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/teenconsumer/pages/healthandsafety/tattoos.htm

http://www.lumbee.org/December 2003.pdf

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Becky12082 said:

Go to Universal Tattoo, recently relocated from Puerto Plata. My good friend Eli who I love, love, love to death owns it and his right hand man Pedro does the tats.

Eli is an expat who has been doing this for awhile so you don't need to worry about poor hygeine or the likes. Pedro speaks very good English if you are not fluent en espanol.

Good luck

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can't comment about the hygiene of any particular tattoo place. But in general hepatitis B is an issue in this country. You need to be careful in hair/nail salons as well as tattoo parlors, due diligence and all that. It might be a good idea to get a Hep A & B vaccine beforehand.

oops, didn't notice this was a reactivated old thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Tamborista

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
Me and my brother were talking to each other about what makes a man a man, Was it brain or brawn, or the month you were born?
We just couldn't understand, so me and my brother borrowed money from Mother, We knew what we had to do.
We went downstairs, past the barber and gymnasium, and got our arms tattooed

My dad beat me cause mine said "Mother", but my mother naturally liked it, and beat my brother, cause his tattoo was of a lady in the nude

And my mother thought that was extremely rude!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There is a theory that a person gets a tattoo at a certain time of his life - when he wants to change himself, the attitude of others around him, and the world around him
My, what an interesting first post.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Kinda of strange his first post was also on a 16 year old thread.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I have gotten all of my tattoos on the island. I've been to three different places and have received 0 infections or extended healing times. I've received quality work and it's much cheaper than in the states. I can only speak for the places I've been to in the capital. I'm extremely cautious and establish that with the workers.

The popular places in the capital Kocko & Valens. They are extremely clean and do excellent work. I also like Kpricho in the Colonial Zone.