Tax

Jan 8, 2017
Recently, my Dominican wife has had money that I wired into her Popular account taxed by the government, we are legally married, this is not income, why has this happened? Or has she done something wrong with not providing proper documentation to DGII??

Thanks for the guidance.
CR

Jan 8, 2017
How was she EXACTLY "taxed by the government?" Was money removed from her account? Did the government show up at her door? What happened, exactly.

She was notified by formal letter from Direccion General de Impuestos Interno of a tax debt and went directly to the DGII office in Puerto Plata where she was provided with the required tax owed.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
this doesn't sound right unless you are talking 250 large ,U.S$

Jan 8, 2017
Nothing like that. We have dealt with the DGII prior as she owned a business and was taxed properly, she has an RNC. But this is funds between a husband and wife, not income.

Looking for some feedback from Sr. Guzman..

Jan 8, 2017
Nothing like that. We have dealt with the DGII prior as she owned a business and was taxed properly, she has an RNC. But this is funds between a husband and wife, not income.

Looking for some feedback from Sr. Guzman..

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If your wife owes money to the DGII, they can easily put an "embargo" on any bank account of hers. It doesn't matter where the money comes from. Was the account "embargoed"? Or she was just notified that she had a tax debt?

Jan 8, 2017
If your wife owes money to the DGII, they can easily put an "embargo" on any bank account of hers. It doesn't matter where the money comes from. Was the account "embargoed"? Or she was just notified that she had a tax debt?

My apologies, thanks for the reply. No embargo, she was notified via formal letter of the tax debt. We paid and rectified the debt with DGII. With that said, my original question still stands, is money I wire into her account able to be taxed??

Jan 8, 2017
As Fabio said it will not be taxed but it can be embargoed by the government to satisfy a government debt, like taxes. It sounds like the equivalent of a US tax levy and garnishment of a bank account which can happen in the US.

If you have paid the income tax (in the DR or wherever) on the money you are transferring to her she would not also have to pay income tax on that money.

If you have not paid income tax and are transferring her funds to avoid paying income then that's another issue.

Why are you wondering whether or not she would be taxed? Just curious.

Income tax was paid. To your original point, I am trying to figure out how DGII knows about the funds or this is an issue with a local office....

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Recently, my Dominican wife has had money that I wired into her Popular account taxed by the government, we are legally married, this is not income, why has this happened? Or has she done something wrong with not providing proper documentation to DGII??

Thanks for the guidance.
CR

What do you see in the Oficina Virtual (left menu) under Consultas > Deudas Pendientes?

Last edited: