Taxi jams continue in Punta Cana

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Taxistas-bloquean-Uber-El-Caribe.png

The National Institute of Land Transport and Transit (Intrant) continues to back traditional taxis as they attempt to impede Uber taxis from serving tourists in the Punta Cana area. Uber taxis operate fluently in Santo Domingo.

Rafael Arias, director of Intrant, has said: “”There is no conflict between Uber and the taxi drivers. What we have are heads of family defending their interests.”

A Uber taxi service costs at most 20% of what a regular taxi charges. Thus, Uber is the preferred taxi in the area. But the traditional taxi drivers want to keep their high fares and dispute any competition by the platform taxis.

The director of Intrant, Rafael Arias is a former high-ranking executive of Fenatrado, the trucking association. Fenatrado is known for using violent measures to impose their control of cargo in the country.

Journalist Huchi Lora tweets that what is...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grampa

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Uber is operating now in Punta Cana. A trip to PUJ that normally is $30 US comes up 576 pesos. That is 1/3 of the price. But ride at your own risk. It will be interesting how this all works out or does not work out in the future..............

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I often use uber, never at airports not even in the states. I expect to pay a little more at airports, any man who has to contend with the weight of my girlfriends luggage deserves a bonus

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Uber should be subjected to the same rules and regulations as Taxis. When you allow them to avoid all of the expenses involved to operate a licensed taxi, you are asking for problems.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Never use Uber, Never Pay full Taxi Price ..
If you have not figured out the SYSTEM of how to pay a Lot Less, then many you need to hone your travel Skills . its been covered here many times before .
Simply put , go to the DROP off area , and say HELLO to a Friendly Taxi guy dropping off, pretend you are old Friends .. negotiate the lower Price as you are loading your Luggage .. the guy cant lose . even an idiot can do this .

Reactions: Big and JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If you have not figured out the SYSTEM of how to pay a Lot Less, then many you need to hone your travel Skills . its been covered here many times before .
Simply put , go to the DROP off area , and say HELLO to a Friendly Taxi guy dropping off, pretend you are old Friends .. negotiate the lower Price as you are loading your Luggage .. the guy cant lose . even an idiot can do this .
I use Taxis.
Never had a problem.
Uber is a problem in a lot of countries not just here in the DR.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Want the best mode of transportation without any BS? Walk or ride your own or take public transit. Works for me, but not in DR though

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Doesn't that bring up the question are all the rules and regs necessary?
The rules and regulations that created the taxi mafia or union (your pick) not only here but in most large metro areas around the world. The same idiots that implemented these rules and all the fees that go with the rules now allow uber to run free with very few enforced rules and no fees.
What could go wrong. The only ones that didn't see this coming are the idiots that run the show.
A chimpanzee in a bad fitting suit could do better. A lot better.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If a guy who owns a pizza shop on block A is required to pay for a license it makes sense that the the pizza shop directly across the street on block B should be required to pay for the same license as well.

If one delivers better tasting pizza, better service or is willing to offer their customers a lower price afterwards then so be it.

I look at this Taxi/ Uber situation the exact same way.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I often use uber, never at airports not even in the states. I expect to pay a little more at airports, any man who has to contend with the weight of my girlfriends luggage deserves a bonus
How curteous of you. lol

Anyway, it seems Punta Cana is ditching its "Independent Republic of Punta Cana" saying and integrating with the rest of the DR. When will the blackouts start?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I only used Uber in Santo Domingo so could not comment for Punta Cana. All uber I used in Santo Domingo were clean and air condition cars and very happy with the price note I always give a good tip. In the past I used taxis and most were run down cars without air condition and always had to haggle for the price most always wanted to abuse.

Its time the taxi mafia lose there monopoly. Also uber eats with their motorcycle is very efficient.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I only used Uber in Santo Domingo so could not comment for Punta Cana. All uber I used in Santo Domingo were clean and air condition cars and very happy with the price note I always give a good tip. In the past I used taxis and most were run down cars without air condition and always had to haggle for the price most always wanted to abuse.

Its time the taxi mafia lose there monopoly. Also uber eats with their motorcycle is very efficient.
Taxi prices in Punta Cana are insane. I don't begrudge anyone making a living, but I will not pay $25 to a taxi driver when an uber will take me to the same place for $9.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Always use Uber! Let a person Choose! DR loses. And when these truisms of harassing tourists gets just a bit more widespread as it should…these brute taxistas will and should feel the money pain. These taxi drivers(?) are nothing more than thugs so it seems. And this government by sanctioning crazy demands shows where their collective brain is. Don’t mess with your bread and butter here. And of course any educated person knows ultimately there are other gorgeous islands one can visit in a calmer more welcoming fashion.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I thought the one restriction on uber was they couldn't do airport runs to PUJ? I know for a fact that if it this restriction is true, they are wildly violating the law.

Reactions: jd426 and bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You can always use Uber, let's say you landed at STI walk outside the airport facility and board your taxi...
You are in Playa Dorada, walk to the entry gate and catch up with your syber Taxi over there.
Is the law in DR, stay out of trouble with taxi union.

JJ

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Always use Uber! Let a person Choose! DR loses. And when these truisms of harassing tourists gets just a bit more widespread as it should…these brute taxistas will and should feel the money pain. These taxi drivers(?) are nothing more than thugs so it seems. And this government by sanctioning crazy demands shows where their collective brain is. Don’t mess with your bread and butter here. And of course any educated person knows ultimately there are other gorgeous islands one can visit in a calmer more welcoming fashion.

Is Uber now allowed PAST the Guard Shack , to the Pickup area at PUJ ? or are they down the road a ways outside Airport by Wendys ?. ( as everyone seems to say )
so you have to walk a ways ? and have to weigh if this is worth it for you .
Can someone give some first hand info on this .. yes $11 is a lot better than $30
You can always use Uber, let's say you landed at STI walk outside the airport facility and board your taxi...
You are in Playa Dorada, walk to the entry gate and catch up with your syber Taxi over there.
Is the law in DR, stay out of trouble with taxi union.

JJ
Well that is really the KEY then isnt it ..
There is NO info available that Uber can operate INSIDE the Guard Shack Area. in the pick up area at PUJ .. or can they ?