Taxi jams continue in Punta Cana

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I guess I didn't explain myself to the finest detail. When I mentioned a Tahoe (Yukon or Escalade) I meant they fly under the radar at PUJ. I did not mean to get into fuel economy or which brand of vehicle makes a better taxi or Uber.

Simply put any common vehicle here can get in and out of the parking area at PUJ if you use common sense. You can be a Uber, Lyft or just a gypsy. Just don't get stupid or greedy and you will be fine.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Uber works well in Europe. In London the Uber guys make good money. And in Santo Domingo since the rates have gone up they also seem to be doing a lot better. Most are saying they make RD$2500 clear per day after paying fuel. So if they work 5 days that works out at RD$50000 per month. I'm talking about the capital here. It would be different in other parts of the island.

Also worth noting that Ubers model was always that people would be taxis part time. A couple of hours a day after work or between lectures at uni. Like Airbnb whose model was to rent rooms in your own house. These services don't work as well when people use them in a.way they were not intended to be used.

Reactions: SKY

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I guess I didn't explain myself to the finest detail. When I mentioned a Tahoe (Yukon or Escalade) I meant they fly under the radar at PUJ. I did not mean to get into fuel economy or which brand of vehicle makes a better taxi or Uber.

Simply put any common vehicle here can get in and out of the parking area at PUJ if you use common sense. You can be a Uber, Lyft or just a gypsy. Just don't get stupid or greedy and you will be fine.

The taxi drivers at PUJ stand there for hours and hours. They don't miss a thing. So if someone walks around with a phone in their hand looking for a particular vehicle, the other drivers will soon work out that's an Uber.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
That mean that the Taxi Turísticos are going to be operating under Uber fares...
I doubt it, there is a huge as difference between tarifarios.

JJ

Reactions: jd426

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
So you would call that Fake News?
Not fake news but an agreement to cool down a little bit.
Do you believe that a Taxi Turísticos is going to drive you from STI to Cabarete for less than $80. Dollars?

JJ

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
Like Others, I just couldn't understand the business model of Uber and simply chalked it up to another scheme devised by big money "to revolutionize" the transportation sector while bilking investors and drivers...... great stuff by Hubert Horan that provides a TON of context and background

https://horanaviation.com/publications-uber

Reactions: jd426