Taxi Prices

Bananas1

Sep 17, 2023
Canada
Hola,

What is the price in pesos we should be paying to get around Santo Domingo? I have no idea presently. Do you pay a flat rate to get from point A to point B or is it by the minute or kilometre? I have basic ok Spanish, do many drivers speak English or French (I have both of those). Is there another way to get around ? I know there are those motor bikes that take passengers, are they same price? Thanks! hasta luego!

Guthrie

May 3, 2007
Use the Uber app as a guide. It has been suggested to use the cash payment option instead of the credit card payment option.
Regular taxi prices can vary by driver and time of day. They charge whatever they think they can get from you. Not much motoconchos in the Colonial zone like other towns.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hola,

What is the price in pesos we should be paying to get around Santo Domingo? I have no idea presently. Do you pay a flat rate to get from point A to point B or is it by the minute or kilometre? I have basic ok Spanish, do many drivers speak English or French (I have both of those). Is there another way to get around ? I know there are those motor bikes that take passengers, are they same price? Thanks! hasta luego!
As an example, a few months ago I paid 1000 pesos to go from Bravo San Isidro to my home in Boca Chica. Uber was asking/demanding 1300 cash when the app said 700.

Reactions: Bananas1

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
In Santo Domingo uber is your best option,you know the price up front no haggling and usually all good cars, AC.
You have to register with a credit card but then you can use the cash option. Leave a small tip to the driver.
Also there is the Metro, modern clean and AC. Can go to 2 modern shopping malls, Agroa and Sambil.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
In Santo Domingo uber is your best option,you know the price up front no haggling and usually all good cars, AC.
You have to register with a credit card but then you can use the cash option. Leave a small tip to the driver.
Also there is the Metro, modern clean and AC. Can go to 2 modern shopping malls, Agroa and Sambil.
I don't live in SD, and I've only used Uber like 3 times since they started (I normally go to SD in my own car). However... there has been MANY reports of people (specially tourists) being given one price in the app and then the driver wants a WAY much higher price, like for example the app says 500 pesos, the driver than asks for 1000 pesos instead.
But to answer the OP. For regular taxis, each driver charges their own price, basically, and just like anywhere else, the price varies depending on the distance. So just ask the Driver before you drive off what they are going to charge, I guess the majority knows at least some English.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I don't live in SD, and I've only used Uber like 3 times since they started (I normally go to SD in my own car). However... there has been MANY reports of people (specially tourists) being given one price in the app and then the driver wants a WAY much higher price, like for example the app says 500 pesos, the driver than asks for 1000 pesos instead.
But to answer the OP. For regular taxis, each driver charges their own price, basically, and just like anywhere else, the price varies depending on the distance. So just ask the Driver before you drive off what they are going to charge, I guess the majority knows at least some English.
I can agree with you in part. If you use uber to leave Santo Domingo Ex. Airport, Boca Chica Beach....etc. the app price is ridiculous low and drivers will ask for more. In my experience a short distance within Santo Domingo uber drives usually respect the app price. In my experience before uber taxi drivers would over charge me not a tourist and I speak Spanish because I am a foreigner.
Also most taxi at that time were sh*t boxes without AC. Where as most ubers have does Hyundai sonatas, not luxury but comfortable and clean with AC. What I would do to leave Santo Domingo, I call uber for a short distance and then tell the driver I change my mind and I would like to go to.....Boca Chica....Juan Dolio etc. and I would pay cash without uber and negotiate a good price.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
What I would do to leave Santo Domingo, I call uber for a short distance and then tell the driver I change my mind and I would like to go to.....Boca Chica....Juan Dolio etc. and I would pay cash without uber and negotiate a good price.
I agree or I would get the drivers number. I remember my wife had a couple of taxi driver's numbers from Santiago, before we got a car that could take us anytime we went to Santiago and needed to get around. That way you can also negotiate the price directly with the driver. But that's more useful if you stay a longer time than just the average tourist and are traveling frequently.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Use the Uber app as a guide. It has been suggested to use the cash payment option instead of the credit card payment option.
Regular taxi prices can vary by driver and time of day. They charge whatever they think they can get from you. Not much motoconchos in the Colonial zone like other towns.
haha, the uber driver usually 'suggests' the cash option or he won't take you

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I have used Uber at least 100 times in Santo Domingo and not once has a driver asked me to pay more. I generally pay by credit card and I have asked many drivers if they prefer to be paid in cash or by card. The majority say by card for two reasons, firstly as this means they have less cash with them which is better for security and the second reason is that they have to then pay Uber anyway so it is easier for them if the client pays directly to Uber and then Uber pays them. I tip every driver, either via the app or in cash. Every time I go to Santo Domingo for a few days I leave my car at wherever I am staying and use Uber with my family everywhere I go. It is so much easier. Also, do not be afraid to use the Metro system, it works great and is very cheap.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I agree with Tee, the only time I've been asked for more was when it was leaving the city. Intercity trips have always used the UBER rate. I also tip them in cash.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have used Uber at least 100 times in Santo Domingo and not once has a driver asked me to pay more. I generally pay by credit card and I have asked many drivers if they prefer to be paid in cash or by card. The majority say by card for two reasons, firstly as this means they have less cash with them which is better for security and the second reason is that they have to then pay Uber anyway so it is easier for them if the client pays directly to Uber and then Uber pays them. I tip every driver, either via the app or in cash. Every time I go to Santo Domingo for a few days I leave my car at wherever I am staying and use Uber with my family everywhere I go. It is so much easier. Also, do not be afraid to use the Metro system, it works great and is very cheap.
Interesting. My experience is the opposite, but it's always from or to Boca Chica from the capital. I tend to walk or moto concho when I stay in the city.

Reactions: tee

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Are the Moto conchos cheaper than uber? are they jump on jump off or can you ask to go to a specific place? tks
How much do you value your life? Motoconchos you can jump on and off wherever you like, however, putting your life at risk to save a few pesos is just not worth it. During the daytime a 15-20 ride in an Uber is less than U$3.....why would you risk taking a motoconcho?

Bananas1

Sep 17, 2023
Canada
How much do you value your life? Motoconchos you can jump on and off wherever you like, however, putting your life at risk to save a few pesos is just not worth it. During the daytime a 15-20 ride in an Uber is less than U$3.....why would you risk taking a motoconcho?
Just asking questions, have never been and trying to understand options. You explained it well, and I DO value my life and limbs :)

Reactions: tee

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Just asking questions, have never been and trying to understand options. You explained it well, and I DO value my life and limbs :)
Uber works super well in Santo Domingo and you rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes for one to arrive. I have lived and driven in the DR for 20 years but when I am in the capitol I use Uber everywhere....it is a stress free way to get around the capitol.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I can agree with you in part. If you use uber to leave Santo Domingo Ex. Airport, Boca Chica Beach....etc. the app price is ridiculous low and drivers will ask for more. In my experience a short distance within Santo Domingo uber drives usually respect the app price. In my experience before uber taxi drivers would over charge me not a tourist and I speak Spanish because I am a foreigner.
Also most taxi at that time were sh*t boxes without AC. Where as most ubers have does Hyundai sonatas, not luxury but comfortable and clean with AC. What I would do to leave Santo Domingo, I call uber for a short distance and then tell the driver I change my mind and I would like to go to.....Boca Chica....Juan Dolio etc. and I would pay cash without uber and negotiate a good price.

I agree. Use Uber within Santo Domingo. Use another taxi to/from the airport and to/from other cities. That's what I do, and I've lived here a looooong time. I would also suggest that you pay by credit card, because it works out a lot cheaper - if you pay cash the drivers never have change, so you always end up rounding up. With a credit card you pay the exact amount. You can add a tip onto a credit card if you want to but don't feel obliged as the Uber guys are making reasonable money these days (they all tell me they make about 4000 - 5000 a day).