Thailand -Boca Chica

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattayapete

Mar 10, 2013
Hi everyone, I am a semi retired Canadian who has been living in Thailand for the past 4 years.As much as i like living here im not sure this is the country i want to live in for the rest of my years.I have been to Boca Chice 1 time about 9 years ago for a two week vacation.I think i would like to check out living there.I have a few questions.1) can i get myself a decent studio or 1 bedroom condo in the $4-500 range? 2)Can i rent myself a scooter and if so how much are they for the month? 3)How much is a beer in the bar these days? if someone can send me links to available rentals in Boca Chica that would be great. Any other relevant information would be greatly appreciated...........Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
My advise would be:
Don't own a scooter in BC.
Or anything. If you remember, BC is walkable for everything--probably what keeps us all going there.
Apts.?? Come on!! close to beach, security, etc.? You sound like a cheap Gringo. If you are not getting by in Thailand you sure won't survive here.
Everything has gotten expensive the world over.
Females in BC always abound. To ask a price for any woman, the world over, is Shameful.
To decide your place in life, based on the price of booze and P----Y, will screw you.

For more advice, you should Message Cris Colon.
You probably had contact with many of his offpsrings in Thailand

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Why Boca Chica? There are so many other places with more to offer. I have heard living in Thailand is pretty inexpensive. I do not think you will find the DR as cheap as it used to be. If you are not on a strict budget I would check out living on the Samana Peninsula in Las Terrenas. It is a great place to live with many European ex-pats and beautiful beaches. Google Las Terrenas and check it out. I think you would a lot happier there than in BC.

LTSTeve

pattayapete

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks Steve,i will google Las Terrenas.Y es living in Thailand is very cheap still,but i would like to be a little closer to my home country.I think what i will do is take off for a month or 2 and explore D.R. and make a desicion then......thanks

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I think you will find Las Terrenas much more laid back than Boca Chica. There are many French ex-pats, 3500 who live in town and own business there. Hotel/Residencia Paseo is a good place to stay. Relatively inexpensive and in the heart of everything. Google it and check it out. Good luck.

LTSteve

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Thanks Steve,i will google Las Terrenas.Y es living in Thailand is very cheap still,but i would like to be a little closer to my home country.I think what i will do is take off for a month or 2 and explore D.R. and make a desicion then......thanks

That's the best advice anyone can give you. Go down and see for yourself. Explore the different areas of the country. It's an island, but a pretty good sized one with varying climates, and cultural differences by regions. Try out Sosua (sounds like it may be a good place for what you're looking for), Las Terrenas, Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, Jarabacoa and maybe even Santiago. You can definitely find 1 bedroom apartments in that range. I don't partake in the lady trade, but I would imagine that like anything in life it all depends on the quality, environment, etc...I'm sure you can find it from real cheap to really expensive. Some of them even come with a gift...you know the kind that keeps on giving :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Pattaya, you say... ;-)
actually DR is not that much more expensive than Thailand...especially with strong THB now...depends on lifestyle of course...
some things are way more expensive - medicines, health care and bike rentals....
cheap hotels/ equivalent of thai guesthouses are in the same price range...and almost the same standard...
forgot about renting scooter/ bike here for good price though...its not like in Thailand... I remember paying there 120-150 THB/ day with longterm renting....here you will be very lucky to get something under 10 $/ day while renting for 2 months....if the girls are mostly your place, I think that you should rather go to Sosua...decent choice of girls and decent chocie of European/ western food... you should get something decent to live for 400usd/ month there.... it all depends how much time do you have for looking and when you want to come here.
I'm not sure about Pattaya, as, with all respect that place always was a magnet from scum from all over the world (like Sosua), but Thailand is much safer than DR... I mean - nothing wrong happened to me here, in DR (over 3000 km on bike so far, many places)...but the local people live here in some kind of paranoia...and its better to avoid some places in the dark (in Thailand it was rarity AFAIR).
btw. if you want to go to Sosua and stay in one place (Sosua), you dont need to have bike... but is always better to have one if you want to explore country a little

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
oh i forgot about one difference between here and Thailand... i dont remmeber than In Thailand were so many people begging you for money/ non agressive hustlers/ kids cleaning boots/ etc like here...They are usually non agressive peacful folks, but still....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my oh my, you guys are such prudes sometimes... shaking my head now...

in any case, i think you may be better off, after all, exploring the north, especially sosua. it may suit your needs better. i am pretty sure there is a big choice of apartments for rent within your budget. calculate minimum 2-3 dollars for a beer in a bar, depending on the brand, size and place.

Status
Not open for further replies.