Thanksgiving in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Those of you who are Americans living in DR, do you make a turkey dinner for thanksgiving? Are they still readily available? I remember literally carrying a frozen one on the plane decades ago.
EC3CF90D-6448-4EE5-B17B-9C22E932F89E.jpeg

Reactions: Lucifer

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Super Pola in Sosua has ButterBall turkey and Playero has fresh roasted turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's pretty good if you don't want to go to the trouble of roasting it yourself. Turkey is very expensive here - about triple the price in the US.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I usually buy one of the Butterball breasts which is about the size of a large grapefruit. That and a box of dressing, a can of cranberry sauce and some mashed potatoes and I'm good to go.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Super Pola in Sosua has ButterBall turkey and Playero has fresh roasted turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's pretty good if you don't want to go to the trouble of roasting it yourself. Turkey is very expensive here - about triple the price in the US.
There was supposed to be a big shortage of turkeys due to some kind of Covid related crisis or problems with the birds. They said there would be a shortage and the prices would be much higher. This year I see that they are advertising it for $1.69 per pound up to two dollars per pound but you when you add in all of the promotions it brings it down to .70 to $.99 per pound for a turkey. Those are about normal prices. Having said all of that what is the price per pound this year in the DR? Is it triple that?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Being Canadian we did this in mid October. Smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, 4 gallons of gravy, cabbage rolls, and whatever else we could cram in.
You Americans are 5 weeks behind the curve (as usual)
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There was supposed to be a big shortage of turkeys due to some kind of Covid related crisis or problems with the birds. They said there would be a shortage and the prices would be much higher. This year I see that they are advertising it for $1.69 per pound up to two dollars per pound but you when you add in all of the promotions it brings it down to .70 to $.99 per pound for a turkey. Those are about normal prices. Having said all of that what is the price per pound this year in the DR? Is it triple that?
I haven't checked this year, but in the past, it's been about $3.00/lb.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Being Canadian we did this in mid October. Smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, 4 gallons of gravy, cabbage rolls, and whatever else we could cram in.
You Americans are 5 weeks behind the curve (as usual)
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
4 gallons of gravy?!?! 🤤 put me on the list for next year.

Reactions: melphis and Farmer

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
suoer fresh in the capital does amazing job catering for thanksgiving .. very good food.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

For me, turkey, except for the cornbread stuffing is "Meh." It's all the other stuff that I relish! Except for one catering option, all the posts here reference DIY meals. That is so not going to happen for me. I am looking for a restaurant that serves ready-made meals. Believe it or not, when I was living in the United States, when the years had gone by and Thankgiving with family was no longer possible--because there was no family!--one of the best meals I had with a buddy was at Denny's!! I know that in the past there have been a few Denny's in Sto. Dom. There was one just below Parque Colon but it went out of business years ago. I remember Dominicans walking in there, picking up the menu, and walking out! The prices were the same or higher than in the U.S. which, when converted to RD$ were crazy, high prices . . . . Meanwhile, I'm going to do a Google Maps search now and see if I can find a Denny's in Sto. Dom. and check their website/menu, if there is one, and report back.

Meanwhile, does anyone know of a restaurant in Sto. Dom. that serves Thanksgiving dinner?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The last Denny's was in the airport. I don't think it's still there.

The guy who had the franchise here screwed it up terribly.

The Dominican Fiesta has Thanksgiving dinner for 1500 per person.

Meson Iberia, price unknown.

Arrozal - Avenida Anacaona #24, Parque Mirador Sur.

Chef Pepper has a Thanksgiving special, but no Turkey.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro