The 1% in SD.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Oh that's easy to answer.I made an itinerary of things to do,from a Dominican website.I was just expecting a "mixed" crowd.It will be good to see that these things are within reach of the majority.I'm not part of that,because unlike them,I will speak to ANYBODY.As far as what am I doing about it,What can I do jackie??? Fellowshipping? They won't even talk to me,lol.I speak to the staff,instead of ordering around or looking down at them.There's was a Haitian family at Happyland and they were looking at us like we had two heads because their daughter was playing with one of our boys.Everybody is the same,at least to us.And my OP,was on Observation.

And what makes you think you are not part of the 1%?? As long as you are in the DR and you "fellowshipping" with the 1% it means you part of them too. And it makes you no better complaining about the 1%, MAYBE THE QUESTION IS WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT??

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Slot of times these people are stuck up cause they went from tags to riches almost overnight. I know this one girl that had a child from a senator on Santiago. The kid is now 15 years old and they both live In an expensive huh rise apartment in la trinitaria. She brags about how all her friends and her sons friends live in cerros de gurabo. I guess she forgets to mention that she free up in a barrio. Of course there is nothing wrong with that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They call those people,"De Chancleta A Yipeta!"(From "Flip Flops" to SUVs"!!!)
Usually talking about politicians, prostitutes who "Marry Up",and drug dealers.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
So we are in SD for a week now,doing plenty of activities with the boys, funnyfactory at Blue Mall,Happy land at Jumbo,Bosque jurasico at Jardin botanico,etc,etc,etc.My point is,sadly,I've noticed that they only people I see is the infamous "rich Dominicans"engaging in these activities along with their nannies (funny factory looks like a pediatrician's office since the nannies wear scrubs,lol.Now,I really don't care that they are "rich" but what a bunch of mal educados.They would stare,so naturally one would smile to greet.Not these people,they are the walking Greek gods and goddess walking the streets of SD.What can one expect from people that think going to Pizza hut and Wendy's is high end.I tell my wife how lovely it is that these people don't sleep thinking of how to outdo one another.Guess you can say "keeping up with the Baez" lol.They Truly deserve each other,who would wanna be in that crowd anyways,but my goodness,they try so hard,it's childish.Sorry,just needed to share with those unaware.This is why my heart is set in Santiago.Nothing like Cibaeno hospitality.Can't wait to be there tomorrow!!! I will post some pics on my other thread"activities for kids in SD"

The same mentality exists in NA, made infamous through the "Real Housewives of..." series, in which wives/girlfriend/babymommas of people who have (or increasingly, ran out of) money act badly, and assume that anyone who is remotely critical of their boorish and crass behavior is a "hater."

Just like none of the women on any of those shows represent true, sustainable wealth yet want to act as is the world owes them a debt of gratitude for existing, so it goes just about every place else.

My unsolicited advice is to simply ignore them (as they appear inclined to do the same), and just focus on living the fullest, happiest life possible with your family. Decent people (rich or not) will appear in due course, and they won't really care whether you have the newest Yipeta on the island.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
to me, it just shows not to underestimate them. the number is about 1 in ten dominicans are rich millionaires. either people in the country are poor, very poor, rich or very rich. the country is actually not very poor, it is just the rich hold 40 percent of the money. those top 1 percent look down on people and are snobby, they can even look down on most americans. it just shows that there is good money in the dr in my opinion and that is what any economist will write or inform people if asked. that 1 percent could buy homes in beverly hills or mansions in miami, they often have visas and everything. i just hope one day the wealth is distributed well enough that the society will be better as a whole.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
For me they are just funny and dumb at the same time, their behavior combined with this lack of education just make me laugh. = they obviously watch too many novelas, too.

Very hard to cover the grin about them sometimes... ;)

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i think you are all potty.

how could you possibly mix up the 1%ers and the likes that you see in Wendy's. Fridays, etc.?
these are not the same people.

on sundays....most of what you see are the evangelicals that are spending what little they have left after their obligatory "pastor" donations.

when i pass "them", "those" and other places, all you 99%ers look the same as any other.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
"New Money" is the noticable 1%ers of which you speak. The "old money" families of the DR have an even worse opinion of these types of people than you do.......
To me the DR is a country in which you can either afford to have maids or you are a maid.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Oh that's easy to answer.I made an itinerary of things to do,from a Dominican website.I was just expecting a "mixed" crowd.It will be good to see that these things are within reach of the majority.I'm not part of that,because unlike them,I will speak to ANYBODY.As far as what am I doing about it,What can I do jackie??? Fellowshipping? They won't even talk to me,lol.I speak to the staff,instead of ordering around or looking down at them.There's was a Haitian family at Happyland and they were looking at us like we had two heads because their daughter was playing with one of our boys.Everybody is the same,at least to us.And my OP,was on Observation.

Easy checkout DR1%[.]COM

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i think you are all potty.

how could you possibly mix up the 1%ers and the likes that you see in Wendy's. Fridays, etc.?
these are not the same people.

on sundays....most of what you see are the evangelicals that are spending what little they have left after their obligatory "pastor" donations.

when i pass "them", "those" and other places, all you 99%ers look the same as any other.

it is true

if you really want to see the 1% in action, try driving out towards the airport on a Saturday AM when the young ones are driving their sports cars out to Casa del Campo... at 90 mph

amazingly spoiled brats!

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Hi guys,

From my experiences, not everybody that has a maid or nanny is in the 1%'ers. Many are 'bulto' (ie. show offs).
For example I know one young family where they have a maid AND a nanny, but keep in mind the amount of money we're talking about:

* maid - 8k/month? maybe 200$/month?
* nanny - 10K/month? maybe 220$/month?

The parents both work office type jobs, but they're LEVERAGED to the hilt. Paying interest payments like crazy on their cars and house, and have debts on any equity they have ever accrued, AND from time to time the husband asks me for a loan!

But still the point is the 'help' are very inexpensive here....

So just because someone is at Wendy's with a nanny, doesn't mean they're in the 1%....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"RB",you are soooooooooooooooooooo right!
I make my wife,who is dark brown,dress up in a white uniform when we take our 3 kids,who look like "Gringos",out in public!!!!
Saves me the money,and we look like "1%ers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So we are in SD for a week now,doing plenty of activities with the boys, funnyfactory at Blue Mall,Happy land at Jumbo,Bosque jurasico at Jardin botanico,etc,etc,etc.My point is,sadly,I've noticed that they only people I see is the infamous "rich Dominicans"engaging in these activities along with their nannies (funny factory looks like a pediatrician's office since the nannies wear scrubs,lol.Now,I really don't care that they are "rich" but what a bunch of mal educados.They would stare,so naturally one would smile to greet.Not these people,they are the walking Greek gods and goddess walking the streets of SD.What can one expect from people that think going to Pizza hut and Wendy's is high end.I tell my wife how lovely it is that these people don't sleep thinking of how to outdo one another.Guess you can say "keeping up with the Baez" lol.They Truly deserve each other,who would wanna be in that crowd anyways,but my goodness,they try so hard,it's childish.Sorry,just needed to share with those unaware.This is why my heart is set in Santiago.Nothing like Cibaeno hospitality.Can't wait to be there tomorrow!!! I will post some pics on my other thread"activities for kids in SD"

Confused,
Some tell us "For heavens sake don't go to Sosua with your kids or any person of substance"!
One should assoiciate with the upper class when in the DR.
What about the skeletons in their closets.........scary :paranoid::paranoid::)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Confused,
Some tell us "For heavens sake don't go to Sosua with your kids or any person of substance"!
One should assoiciate with the upper class when in the DR.
What about the skeletons in their closets.........scary :paranoid::paranoid::)

There's something to be said about discretion, which so many expats and tourists seem to lack. The cabana/"beeper chica" sub-culture is premised on the notion that you can do what you want with whoever wants you, but do NOTHING that would dishonor your family.

Hanging out, getting wasted in Sosua, bringing girls that clearly don't fit in into a decent restaurant in a hyper image-conscious family, and generally making a jerk of yourself because you can't exhibit any sense of self-control doesn't really go a long way towards building a solid, positive reputation.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Fleas

There's something to be said about discretion, which so many expats and tourists seem to lack. The cabana/"beeper chica" sub-culture is premised on the notion that you can do what you want with whoever wants you, but do NOTHING that would dishonor your family.

Hanging out, getting wasted in Sosua, bringing girls that clearly don't fit in into a decent restaurant in a hyper image-conscious family, and generally making a jerk of yourself because you can't exhibit any sense of self-control doesn't really go a long way towards building a solid, positive reputation.

Agree,
You lie with dogs................

Especially in the DR if you are on the top how did you get there?
In many poor countries the elite "walked" over many people and do little to improve their country or the lot of the average populous.
I don't equate the poor to trash. Give them a chance to education and the country will prosper!
Without education and emplyment opportunities it's a hard to get a start.
The chicks at UASD got there with dad's money, no need to snob the waitress!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Actually,"La UASD" is for the poor.They pay VERY little,or NOTHING,and they are getting what they paid for.
A "Degree",from "La UASD",is worth less than the paper.
A "waitress" job is consisered a "Success" for those who actually graduate!
They should issue a "Gas Mask" to all "students".The police are there weekly to break up their so called "Protests.
I pay about 75,000 pesos a year,plus extras,for my stepson to attend college here.
Not Cheap for a dominican family.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think when my wife attended she paid 10 pesos per semester - 1979-86. She has a degree in Mathematics- you don't need fancy surroundings for that. She earned her degrees.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Ahem, not that this should be an indication of anything, but if you want to understand what UASD is really about, I encourage you to google 'UASD chica' in the image search section, then compare it to one of the more conservative schools like UNIBE chica.... just saying :)

UASD - Where you party:

UASD chica - Google Search

UNIBE - where you study:

UNIBE chica - Google Search