The 1% in SD.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Like it was mentioned earlier what you're seeing there is definitely NOT the top 1%. The DR like most Latin countries truly does have a 1% not like in The US where this has been somewhat exaggerated and the playing field is a little more level. You're talking about people like The Vicinis, Corripios, Leon, etc...This is old big time money and with enough influence that when they call The President answers...these you're not going to see at a Wendy's or even at Blue Mall.

What you're seeing is more like the other 10% who are the nouveau rich who have recently made their money and are showing it off and yes these people do feel that eating at Friday's shows that they are somehow above the rest of Dominicans. They loooove American music (even though they have no idea what the song says), looove places where they serve American food (Friday's, Hooter's, Krispy Kreme, etc), looove to show off that they live in a high rise apartment, etc...

The 1% I mentioned above live a very quiet, out of the public eye life. They don't need to show off that they live in a high rise apartment, because most likely they own the whole place to begin with...

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Actually,"La UASD" is for the poor.They pay VERY little,or NOTHING,and they are getting what they paid for.
A "Degree",from "La UASD",is worth less than the paper.
A "waitress" job is consisered a "Success" for those who actually graduate!
They should issue a "Gas Mask" to all "students".The police are there weekly to break up their so called "Protests.
I pay about 75,000 pesos a year,plus extras,for my stepson to attend college here.
Not Cheap for a dominican family.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Except for the text in bold font, the rest of the statements are biased and inaccurate.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for clearing that up,your insight is always appreciated.I guess that's good to know that there's actually people with money and manners.By the way,I used 1% to open the thread,because that's the terminology used generally to refer to the very rich.Funny thing is suarenz,yesterday we made a quick stop by the Diamond Mall,and of course come one along with two girls and a Nannie trailing them.I told my wife,If I had nannie money and really had MONEY,I wouldn't come to Diamond mall at all,place is a dump compare to the other malls(IMO)no offense to anybody.Then again,if I had that type of money,I wouldn'tbe out in public either.

Like it was mentioned earlier what you're seeing there is definitely NOT the top 1%. The DR like most Latin countries truly does have a 1% not like in The US where this has been somewhat exaggerated and the playing field is a little more level. You're talking about people like The Vicinis, Corripios, Leon, etc...This is old big time money and with enough influence that when they call The President answers...these you're not going to see at a Wendy's or even at Blue Mall.

What you're seeing is more like the other 10% who are the nouveau rich who have recently made their money and are showing it off and yes these people do feel that eating at Friday's shows that they are somehow above the rest of Dominicans. They loooove American music (even though they have no idea what the song says), looove places where they serve American food (Friday's, Hooter's, Krispy Kreme, etc), looove to show off that they live in a high rise apartment, etc...

The 1% I mentioned above live a very quiet, out of the public eye life. They don't need to show off that they live in a high rise apartment, because most likely they own the whole place to begin with...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Nas",how can you know what life is like in the DR?
Many of the "Expat Posters" on DR1 have been living in the DR for more years than you "DID"!!
For those who are not aware,"Nasty",lives in the "Good Ol' US of A"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Has for many years.
He,like "PREACH-HARD-Oh!",just make uninformed comments about "Life" in the DR.
"P" searches "GOOGLE" in the wee hours to post DR gov.propaganda fotos.
La"UASD" is just a place to "Hang" for the poor "Barrio Rats" in SD!
Their student body president,until he was thrown out last year,was a "student" there fo 20 years,REALLY!
You can't,and don't need to,make this stuff up!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
malecon shmalecon

No, I haven't taken the boys to the Malecon yet.I guess if there's no nannies to show off,the 1% won't be there.Talk 'bout tacky looking people.Lisa,I was just in San Juan visiting abuela.I don't know if it was Felix Bautista,but the highway was immaculate,side rail,smooth,couldn't believe it,for DR standards??? Even the way it was build,was for proper drainage in case of rain.One of the campesino was telling me that one of Felix's guys made 70 millions pesos off that project,don't know how true that is.I figured that the 1% has to be those big families that one those groups that Hillbilly mentioned before(la Sirena,Banco de Leon,etc)I mean,their kids look like New yorkers.They do have lots of money,but they lack lots in class as well....como dicen,aunque la mona se vista de ceda,mona se queda.

wtf!!?? Ok maybe I am out of touch...but at least at the malecon center of things...what a dead place!!! The Hilton is even groveling for patrons...the shop and restaurant area is dead. Looks like the saddest of mid west US recession plagued malls...i.e. dieing... Whomever is in charge for first city in the Americas commerce in the current government should get a Truillo style cane field whipping for not being able to fill more malecon store fronts in el centro on the capitols (all be it rocky) waterfront...this is business!!!!!! I could not give a rats culo about all the unpaid development on Ave Lincoln. what a disgrace and business failure on the malecon...idiots...there is dinero in them there trees usted morons de gobernero. The simplest of community college c grade students could manage things better. Well I suppose considering 50 yeas ago I would be whipped (or more) myself for such comments....no sorpresas are mas grande aqui.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I used to feel bad when I'd take the kids to mega Central and buy them the bracelets.. we would spend the entire day there, was so much fun. I would look around and feel like my kids were so under dressed.. then realized.. WOW every one of these kids (exaggerating) were only there because it was their birthday! So many birthday kids.. And I felt like.. WOW.. it was the ONLY time they'd go to such a place and I felt sad. I didn't see any upity people, or didn't notice nannies. We did that quite a few times.. I never knew of the other places you spoke of, but will check them out too.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
If going to TGIF puts you at the 1%, then I must be in the 0.5%. Last week I went to TGIF on Monday, Pizza Hut on Wednesday and Chili's on Friday.
And then I bought an ice cream cone at Haagen-Dazs, which makes me uber-rich.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
the nouveau riche act like that the world over - its not just the DR! They dont know any better.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I'm kidding about buying an ice cream cone at Haagen-Dazs. Burning through cash like that is just plain silly, but that's my dream. That or Baskin-Robbins.

I just went to helados Bon, which I guess drops me to the bottom 5%.

I'm just kidding...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Helados BON,Que Buenos Son"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best in the DR,maybe the entire World???
"Dulce de Leche"
"Ron Pasa"
"Habichela Dulce"
Need I say "MORE",Please???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
speaking of the 99%, I found this amusing:

16hn8n5.jpg