The Aroma of Dominican Coffee!!

What Dominican coffee brand(s) do you drink the most? (Can pick more than one)

• Café Santo Domingo

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Café Monte Alto

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Gente de la Isla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Café Puro

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Café Mamá Inés

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Perla Negra

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Café El Cibao

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Café Pilón

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Café Sabaneta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Dominican and from other countries coffee)

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominican coffee is stronger that what is found in the USA or Canada, but it also ranges in aroma, texture, etc. This variety of Dominican coffee brands may not be known since Café Santo Domingo is the most consumed coffee brand nationwide and the most readily available. At over 90% of the Dominican market share, they have a virtual monopoly. Café Santo Domingo is readily available at resorts too. In fact, I think all of them have Café Santo Domingo packets in each hotel room.

I have to give props to Café Monte Alto from Jarabacoa. Now that's what's called a good tasting coffee.

What Dominican coffee brand(s) do you drink?

Maybe you don't know except Café Santo Domingo (though the coffee shelf in Dominican supermarkets tend to be full of local brands in addition to the imported brands)?​

Some Dominican coffee brands.

5eTHlt.jpg

5eT9fI.jpg

5eItDv.jpg

5eImVp.jpg

5eIbxR.jpg

5eIpiN.jpg

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I rotate between Mama Ines (have a jar full in the cupboard now) and Cafe Mocano.

1637188040775.png

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Santo Domingo all the way..... Strayed away for a bit, went with Monte Alto ( there were 2 different ones, if I recall rightly ), then with Cibao, then tried Puro and another brand which name escapes me ).

Maybe I just associate Cafe Santo Domingo taste and smell with the DR, back when I first arrived a decade + ago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We only buy roasted beans/en grano. Induban, Santo Domingo Espresso usually, but we also really like the house brand at Bravo, rich and flavorful.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If I could get the other stuff easily I would. We only have Ole here in BC so I buy Santo Domingo or Ole house brand.

When I was in PP I visited a local coffee shop but couldn't get back there to buy anything. I tasted it and like it.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
The best smell ever is the smell or roasting coffee. We did that on our stove . Imade a few mistakes at first but then loved it. I can smell roasting coffee amile away. Local dominicans here roast the coffe super black and add alot of sugar into the roast. I roast it normallly without sugar and they couldnt believe it. We buy coffee most of th time though, I want to try Monte ALto and the others if I can find them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What a short list!! lol

Grupo Ramos has a new (I think) house brand of coffee. Can't tell you the name because I threw the bag away but it's pretty good.. and strong.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Monte Perello Estate is very good. I buy it "en grano". In Super Pola today they had some new "connoisseur" Santo Domingo coffees in 3 or four different blends - 370 pesos for a 12oz bag.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Best coffee I ever had was made with the “sock” setup.
My favorite as well, but has pretty much stopped since I stopped using cream and sugar. That produces some pretty strong coffee.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Superstore regularly stocked Cafe Santo Domingo for about 2 years here in Canada. It disappeared either right after the coffee blight or right before the pandemic.
The only place that I know of to buy it online is from Amigo Foods out of Miami.

When we were there in September, my mother in law made us freshly ground Cafe SD each morning and it was heaven. ☕️

I like Dominican coffee better than anything I’ve had in Colombia.

Reactions: JD Jones

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Monte Perello Estate is very good. I buy it "en grano". In Super Pola today they had some new "connoisseur" Santo Domingo coffees in 3 or four different blends - 370 pesos for a 12oz bag.
I tried a bag of the new Santo Domingo Perla Roja. What a disappointment! I found it weak, even though I fully packed the greca. At almost 500RD a pound, not worth it to me. If anyone tries the other varieties, please let us know.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My MIL mixes Cafe Santo Domingo with Pilon or Cafe Tostao. A good coffee in Jarabacoa is Cafe Don Alfredo. We get little batches of campo coffee from time to time from fincas of clients. Usually very strong and pure.

Attachments

• 20211119_105129.jpg
    20211119_105129.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 228

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
ok I give up what is thesock set up.
It's a colador, or a flannel cloth coffee strainer. Typically you boil water in a pan, throw some coffee in and let it come up to a boil.
61aLR3U6y-L._AC_UL320_.jpg
Then you pour the coffee through the strainer to filter out the grounds. The longer you use it, the better the coffee tastes.

Search for "Coffee cloth strainer" on Amazon and you'll see lots of varieties.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I tried a bag of the new Santo Domingo Perla Roja. What a disappointment! I found it weak, even though I fully packed the greca. At almost 500RD a pound, not worth it to me. If anyone tries the other varieties, please let us know.

You may want to try Cafe Santo Domingo's "Caracolillo" variety of coffee.
91GmCu7M35L._AC_UL320_.jpg
This is the best of the best of the beans used to produce Cafe Santo Domingo. Very good stuff.

Before the coffee rust blight came along, the producers of Cafe Monte Alto also used to have a similar "best of the best" coffee for their brand as well (I forgot the name) that we got from a board member here. Some of the best coffee I've ever had, IMHO.

Monte Alto coffee comes from Jarabacoa and was recently ranked among the 30 best coffees in the world according to Coffee Review.

Last edited:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's a colador, or a flannel cloth coffee strainer. Typically you boil water in a pan, throw some coffee in and let it come up to a boil.
61aLR3U6y-L._AC_UL320_.jpg
Then you pour the coffee through the strainer to filter out the grounds. The longer you use it, the better the coffee tastes.

Search for "Coffee cloth strainer" on Amazon and you'll see lots of varieties.

Exactly, except I’ve always seen the coffee boiled with the sugar. They sell a metal frame that the strainer hangs from. Aluminum cup with a handle below. Typically, they pour the coffee through the strainer, then have a second metal cup and pour it through again.

Okay, time for a cup of coffee ☕️

Reactions: JD Jones