The Beautiful Simplicity of Walking...

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
As a kid in Jamaica, I lived up in the mountains that bordered the capital, Kingston. It was a seven-mile walk down to the flat (bottom of the mountain) where most of my friends lived. On weekends, or during school holidays, the first choice was to try and get a lift with your parent or neighbor when they were headed for work in the morning. But getting up early was a drag.

There were public government-run buses but those were always breaking down, or never showing up. Mini-buses (private) would try to fill their cab with as many people as possible at the starting point (top or bottom of the mountain) and would just zoom by you as you tried to flag them down while walking. The last possibility was what is called in Jamaica, Country Buses... Big buses that were mainly used by market higglers. Very early in the morning (4-5 am) they would pick them up way out in the country, load up their products on the roof, and bring them into the city. And then do the opposite in the evening. There were also box-type trucks that did the same thing. Finally... You could stick your finger out to try and hitch a ride from a passing vehicle... Sometimes you got lucky. Whatever mode you managed to get a ride on... You just took your space and had no opinion about anything, just happy you didn't have to walk seven miles up a mountain... Sometimes at night.

And did I mention that the trip down on one of these modes of public transportation was quite hairy, as speed limits were NOT enforced.

And going up the mountain... Often you'd be quicker walking.

I survived.

This all pretty much ended when I got my driver's license (unless there were no cars available), at which point you'd make a deal with a friend to come pick you up... Gas money being the incentive.

But back to walking... I've always been an outdoor sports participant... I played rugby, mountain biked, surfed, sailed, fished... But walking kind of fell by the wayside after my teens... Which I'm now thinking was unfortunate.

My dad was a walker... Every morning that he was home from flying (commercial pilot) he would be up at 5:30 and walking three or four miles up and down the hills he lived in. When he was too old for walking, he took up cycling (he had moved to Florida, so flat land)... Just the basic, step-thru beach cruiser type deal, and at his own pace. He had to stop though when he had a bad fall in his late '80s. He died three years ago at age 98. I look back and think I should have taken a page from his walking habit... In the last year, I've learned just how wonderful walking actually is for us humans.

This morning I walked my usual 7-8-mile walk Saturday morning walk, and once again I was so happy that I've gotten back to walking. And not just for physical health, but for the mental health aspect as well. I walk a mixture of paved and dirt trails; and on the dirt trails it can be quiet and serene. During the week I walk maybe 5 miles (3 in the morning/2 in the evening). And my wife walks as well. Actually, it was my wife that got me back to walking.

I'd like to continue with my walking if we move to the DR, and I would think that I should be able to... Does anyone here have a daily walking regimen?

What's it like in the DR regarding being able to daily walk a few miles for health... Parks, trails, sidewalks?

Reactions: Lucifer and jd426

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
During my winters in the DR, I spent a considerable amount of time exploring and walking remote beaches along the North Coast. It’s a holdover from my career where I did oil spill impact assessment work on beaches and coastlines on Canada’s East and West coasts. I enjoyed my field work and as I spent more time in the DR when I retired, it seemed a natural thing to do.

The health benefits are obvious but I benefitted in other ways. I met lots of local residents, improved my Español, and found great out of the way places to eat and drink. A cold Presidente and a stuffed empanada was a treat after a long walk on a beach. The remote beaches were the draw for me. I’m not drawn to crowded beaches loaded with AI tourists.

I gained an appreciation for the diversity and beauty of the DR coastal ecosystem. The drawback was viewing persistent plastic litter in what should be remote pristine beaches. That issue is not limited to DR beaches. I’ve seen plastic waste on beaches in Canada, the US, and other Caribbean islands.

if you do make the DR your new home, you have lots of walking options to choose from, beaches, mountain paths, etc. Pico Duarte is the highest mountain in the DR and it actually gets frost during the winter months. It’s an overnight hike but well with it. You can go with a group and guide. Good luck with your new plans.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The highest mountain peak in the Caribbean, rising at 3,087 meters (10,125 feet), Pico Duarte is tucked amid the two national parks of Armando Bermúdez and José del Carmen Ramírez, and is reachable in two or three-day excursions depending on the chosen route.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How 'bout a F ing walk around a park or the beach for an hour? Watch "The beautiful SIMPLICITY of a Walk" turn into a talk about walking up and down the tallest peaks in the DR for ppl 60 + years old. LOL

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
How 'bout a F ing walk around a park or the beach for an hour? Watch "The beautiful SIMPLICITY of a Walk" turn into a talk about walking up and down the tallest peaks in the DR for ppl 60 + years old. LOL

"Wrong side of the bed you awoke on again I see." — Yoda

And BTW... The "...beautiful..." is spelled with a capital "...B...".

Details, johne... It's in the details.

• Haha
Reactions: Ecoman1949

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Does anyone here have a daily walking regimen?

What's it like in the DR regarding being able to daily walk a few miles for health... Parks, trails, sidewalks?
100% agreed. Walking is one of the best things we can do for ourselves on a daily basis.
I just spent the last month relaxing on the Mediterranean. Did quite a bit of walking. Life is good.

To answer your question...
Where I live,
in the heart of Santiago from La Joya up to the Monument the entire area is very walk able.
I walk everywhere. It's the best way to meet people and really get to the feel the environment
we choose to call home.
The sidewalks are in good shape and the view from top the Monument looking back at the city makes
it worth-while especially around sunset. While living in Sosua I used to walk from Sosua Gym after my workout
over to where I was living in Charamicos once a day, it was about a 45 minute walk. Nice place to visit but paradise
moves a little too slow for me.

Where I am living now in the city is much better for walking/ exercising in my opinion.

I've been to Port Antonio, Boston Bay down to Long Bay for jerk fest and music festivals a few times.
Nice folks. Good times.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I walk in Jarabacoa to do my daily chores like going to the bank, the store, the post office....etc, one for the exercise, and two, because parking is very limited. When I walk for exercise, I walk to the Confluenza and back, which is about 4 miles each way. I try to get as a minimum 5 miles and usually get around 7 or 8. There are lots of Dominicans walking, running, or bicycling at 0630 am when I start. There have been muggings, but none on the route that I go, plenty of police presence.