The Beauty of Haiti

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
thanks for the Like, Nan
Keeps a gal going!
But you pointed out something that is not discussed all that much, and that is the beauty of Haiti. Much of the hillsides have been deforested but there still are some lush areas to see. Also, the Citadelle is a fantastic place to visit as is Fort Liberte.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Exactly ‼️

This breaks my heart - both the Palace and the Cathedral were destroyed in the Earthquake in 2010 while I was in Sto. Dom.
I felt it even in my apartment in Gazcue.
The chandelier started spinning... I thought that perhaps I had had too much rum.

During that time, one of my nephews was working hight up in FEMA
And rescuers were posting where there were water sources open and open hospital beds.
He passed the info up the line.

I was traumatized - but SO impressed in how amazing the Dominicans were in their rescue operations - sending in their food trucks and using their ports and airports for aid.. And even young students volunteering with the Red Cross to go over and help dig out.

I filed a couple of stories -- I think --
https://www.ipsnews.net/author/elizabeth-eames-roebling/

Reactions: nigrarosa

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very subjective subject, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Greenland in the winter is all ice and snow, and it is unbelievably beautiful. I know some places in my home province of British Columbia that blow away 95% of the world. The plant life in the DR and Haiti is very beautiful, as are some of the beaches. Some of the DR and Haiti is very ugly.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Very subjective subject, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Greenland in the winter is all ice and snow, and it is unbelievably beautiful. I know some places in my home province of British Columbia that blow away 95% of the world. The plant life in the DR and Haiti is very beautiful, as are some of the beaches. Some of the DR and Haiti is very ugly.
(An Aside) I have been to your home province and it is indeed one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. Camped up in 5 contiguous parts that span the US/Canada there. Canadian National Parks are the BEST I have ever seen! And I have camped in NC and Costa Rica)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I can really second an endorsement of the Lakay Restaurant on the Boulevard. I've probably been there about 50 times. I love it there. The vibe is great and so is the food.
I never made it up north.... I was working with a diver #AlanBaskin (who dove with #JaquesCosteau) at https://mapcarta.com/19793314. He moved the operation to Punta Cana in the early 80s when it was still jungle.... Then to Tortola.

I lived up in St Marc Bay.... at a little outpost/beach called "Amani y Les Bain" ... which was a weekend resort for the most part

It is one of the most beautiful dive sites - a grove of fire coral and then a drop off to 200 ft with a wall that runs two miles into the town..... Mostly Sponges and brain coral.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I never made it up north.... I was working with a diver #AlanBaskin (who dove with #JaquesCosteau) at https://mapcarta.com/19793314. He moved the operation to Punta Cana in the early 80s when it was still jungle.... Then to Tortola.

I lived up in St Marc Bay.... at a little outpost/beach called "Amani y Les Bain" ... which was a weekend resort for the most part

It is one of the most beautiful dive sites - a grove of fire coral and then a drop off to 200 ft with a wall that runs two miles into the town..... Mostly Sponges and brain coral.
There is probably comparable diving down around Isla Beata off Pedernales. That is the only place I really saw divers. There are some dive centers in the DR - https://travel.padi.com/s/dive-courses/dominican-republic/?date=2022-09-21&page=1&view=map

But the North Coast is the Atlantic ...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
"The most famous dive site in Haiti is Amani’s Zombie Hole. Here the floor falls to 450 feet below sea level and the wall is covered in black coral and sponge tubes. In addition to colorful reefs, Haiti is also home to a variety of wrecks. A small PT boat lies at a depth of 90 feet (27 meters) just off of Kaliko Beach. The wreck is neighbored by a fascinating wall creating a 2-for-1 dive."https://www.padi.com/diving-in/haiti/

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
You are so right. I rode from Calgary through Banff and up to Jasper park. Down to Kamloops on the Harley. Breathtaking indeed. Great people. Great beer too!!