The Beauty of Haiti

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Very subjective subject, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Greenland in the winter is all ice and snow, and it is unbelievably beautiful. I know some places in my home province of British Columbia that blow away 95% of the world. The plant life in the DR and Haiti is very beautiful, as are some of the beaches. Some of the DR and Haiti is very ugly.
Anyone who has toured the US and seen the Sequoias with the Giant Redwoods, Yosemite, the colorful Southwest desserts and Grand Canyon, or Brice Canyon, the high slopes of Colorado (all seasons), San Francisco Bay, the Badlands of South Dakota, the Maine fisheries, the Northern California & Oregon coastlines, the Ozarks or the North East states in fall foliage, the Emerald water of of Lake Tahoe or the wild expanse of untamed Alaska would be a fool not to put it high on the list of beauty.

I lived in Costa Rica and it is beautiful put pretty much one dimensional as is Panama.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Anyone who has toured the US and seen the Sequoias with the Giant Redwoods, Yosemite, the colorful Southwest desserts and Grand Canyon, or Brice Canyon, the high slopes of Colorado (all seasons), San Francisco Bay, the Badlands of South Dakota, the Maine fisheries, the Northern California & Oregon coastlines, the Ozarks or the North East states in fall foliage, the Emerald water of of Lake Tahoe or the wild expanse of untamed Alaska would be a fool not to put it high on the list of beauty.

I lived in Costa Rica and it is beautiful put pretty much one dimensional as is Panama.
Here in Jarabacoa this morning the clouds are touching the top of the mountains, the air is very clear, at the moment and the mountains are a mixture of sun and shade, looks very beautiful. What I like in the DR is the many different shades of green and absolutely no snow to shovel or drive through. Talking to my mom in Canada yesterday she said it was only 11 degrees C overnight and I said I could really enjoy some of that cool. We go to Grecia, Costa Rica almost every year to visit long time Tico friends. Love Costa Rica.

Reactions: stateofmind

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Beautiful in deed. Its' beauty reminds of a song that I have carried around in my head for ages. Part of the words from this song are, "Now that we found love -what are we going to do with it?"

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was pretty stunned to read this article

SNIP https://www.vice.com/en/article/43q...d-facts-about-deforestation-in-haiti-is-a-lie
When the results came back, his first thought was that he had to do the whole process again. “Let’s check this 10 times to make sure it’s right,” he told his colleagues. According to their analysis, Haiti’s forest cover was more than 32 percent.
Wampler wondered whether they had set a sufficient minimum area for tree cover. So they used the FAO’s definition of a “forest,” which includes trees higher than 5 meters (about 16 feet) covering at least half a hectare. He ran the analysis again. The computer estimated Haiti’s forest coverage at nearly 30 percent, a number similar to the coverage in the United States, France, and Germany, and far higher than in Ireland and England. Wampler had discovered a rarity in today’s world: a good-news environmental story in one of the planet’s poorest countries. But then he had a troubling thought: “People won’t like this.”
ADVERTISEMENT

“It doesn’t fit the narrative” that poverty causes deforestation and deforestation exacerbates poverty, he said. Foreign governments, charities, development banks, and the foreign media tend to present this relationship as an indisputable fact. “Organizations use this statistic as a lever to get funding and help. For them, it’s a lot more convenient to have a narrative that works.”

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I was pretty stunned to read this article

SNIP https://www.vice.com/en/article/43q...d-facts-about-deforestation-in-haiti-is-a-lie
When the results came back, his first thought was that he had to do the whole process again. “Let’s check this 10 times to make sure it’s right,” he told his colleagues. According to their analysis, Haiti’s forest cover was more than 32 percent.
Wampler wondered whether they had set a sufficient minimum area for tree cover. So they used the FAO’s definition of a “forest,” which includes trees higher than 5 meters (about 16 feet) covering at least half a hectare. He ran the analysis again. The computer estimated Haiti’s forest coverage at nearly 30 percent, a number similar to the coverage in the United States, France, and Germany, and far higher than in Ireland and England. Wampler had discovered a rarity in today’s world: a good-news environmental story in one of the planet’s poorest countries. But then he had a troubling thought: “People won’t like this.”
ADVERTISEMENT

“It doesn’t fit the narrative” that poverty causes deforestation and deforestation exacerbates poverty, he said. Foreign governments, charities, development banks, and the foreign media tend to present this relationship as an indisputable fact. “Organizations use this statistic as a lever to get funding and help. For them, it’s a lot more convenient to have a narrative that works.”
I agree with the fact that the 2% deforestation is not true. When I went Las Pinas in the south that's all I saw were majestic pines. However, when he brings race into it as a rationale he loses people, including me.

One thing I will say though is when I went to Gonaives, that's all I saw was deforestation. No trees, just barren land there. They have massive problems with mudslides during hurricanes and torrential rains.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I agree with the fact that the 2% deforestation is not true. When I went Las Pinas in the south that's all I saw were majestic pines. However, when he brings race into it as a rationale he loses people, including me.

One thing I will say though is when I went to Gonaives, that's all I saw was deforestation. No trees, just barren land there. They have massive problems with mudslides during hurricanes and torrential rains.
The northwest has always suffered from desertic like conditions since the colonial era at least, but yeah, archaic agrarian practices and land clearing has made the problem worse.

Reactions: NanSanPedro