The Better Dominican Rums

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
going to be in the Corticeto area end of Feb and looking to buy some better rums . Don't mind Brugal extra veijo with coke... want to bring home a couple few jugs of some good stuff... My favorite now is Ron Zacappa on the rocks. It's $80 a 26 in Canada... any suggestions on brands to try and where to get them ... the Supermercado in Corticeto.. ? thanks

canadandy

Apr 17, 2008
Not to criticize because everyone has their own taste. while here I enjoy Ron Barcelo dorado and president beer. Yes they may not be FINE, but they do the job at a reasonable price.

But in a land(Canada) full of quality and variety of beers and whiskey, I could never imagine comparing these to what about 3 different brands of beer and 4 different rums(DR).

For example read this link, go buy some and test for yourself Forty Creek Whisky - Tales From The Creek

Personally I would rather put 20 lbs of Dominican Coffee in my suitcase.

Reactions: thompstr

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I repeat, I drink Barcel? Gran A?ejo neat. It was available in Canada for about $28 for a limited time.

DS

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Ron Atlantico Private Cask. My all time favorite dominican rum. Great done neat with your favorite cigar.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Best Dominican Rum if you can find it is the Barcelo Rum that comes in a tin. It is aged I believe either 24 or 30 years. Goes down like fine Cognac in a snifter. High price, but tops for the DR. Brugal has something similar in a Blue bottle. Very good also.

For a reasonable priced Rum Barcelo Imperial will do nicely. About 850 rd.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Best Dominican Rum if you can find it is the Barcelo Rum that comes in a tin. It is aged I believe either 24 or 30 years. Goes down like fine Cognac in a snifter. High price, but tops for the DR. Brugal has something similar in a Blue bottle. Very good also.

For a reasonable priced Rum Barcelo Imperial will do nicely. About 850 rd.

The brugal blue bottle is actually the label and that's the 1888. Wait, Brugal also has XL that is a blue bottle I believe. That's also very good.

drescape24

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The brugal blue bottle is actually the label and that's the 1888. Wait, Brugal also has XL that is a blue bottle I believe. That's also very good.

it is called siglo de oro and was in a blue bottle:

2na4epy.jpg

it is in a normal bottle now but in a blue box:

20r22ah.jpg

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I agree with # 3. Don Barcelo Gran Anejo. Not too expensive. ( I don't recall paying $28 bucks for it in the DR, so i am asuming its a little cheaper than it would be in the states or Canada. But perhaps I did ). Anyway. Tis a fine sipping rum.

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
thanks for all the info ... do you know which ones aren't available in Canada or the USA ? Want to bring back the B in Law something for his bar... This is making me thirsty... it is after 3..

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I'd definitely recommend the Atlantico Rum...likely not available in Canada, pretty sure it is in the U.S. but not that widely seen,,,but they are doing some serious marketing, so people may have heard of it. Also, one of my favorite Premiums for the money is Bermudez Don Armando...reminds me a bit of Zacapa for much less money...

If you can find it, pick up some Barbancourt 5 star or better yet 15 year old...it's Haitian...so from the same Island and preety rare/unique!

I think they re-released Brugal Siglo de Oro - very rare and pretty special

Most premium Dominican Rums, apart from Brugal and Barcelo are either not distributed in North America or are pretty hard to find.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
speaking of rum.... I don't know if it was always this way, or if Brugal is pulling the "Maker's Mark" trick of watering down the spirits... but last visit I was casually looking at the label on my favorite casual rum... Brugal Extra Viejo, and noticed it is not 80 proof / 40 % alcohol. It's like 37.5 % or something like that. Either I never took the time to look before... or it's different. It doesn't matter much in taste (since I usually put it in mixed drinks), or in effect... (always room for one more), but it's somehow mildly disappointing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think Barcel? Imperial was voted as the best rum in the world for a few years. Don't know by who, its what people say. I personally like it, but I'm not a big rum drinker. Whenever I do, its either that or nothing. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
speaking of rum.... I don't know if it was always this way, or if Brugal is pulling the "Maker's Mark" trick of watering down the spirits... but last visit I was casually looking at the label on my favorite casual rum... Brugal Extra Viejo, and noticed it is not 80 proof / 40 % alcohol. It's like 37.5 % or something like that. Either I never took the time to look before... or it's different. It doesn't matter much in taste (since I usually put it in mixed drinks), or in effect... (always room for one more), but it's somehow mildly disappointing.

there are differences between domestic and exported version. brugal is ISO and it follows regulations set by the international market so some of the exported versions are "stronger".