The Better Dominican Rums

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
speaking of rum.... I don't know if it was always this way, or if Brugal is pulling the "Maker's Mark" trick of watering down the spirits... but last visit I was casually looking at the label on my favorite casual rum... Brugal Extra Viejo, and noticed it is not 80 proof / 40 % alcohol. It's like 37.5 % or something like that. Either I never took the time to look before... or it's different. It doesn't matter much in taste (since I usually put it in mixed drinks), or in effect... (always room for one more), but it's somehow mildly disappointing.

Of all the horrible and negative things about the DR1 that I have read on this forum, This one is the most demoralizing. Gringos getting killed? So what. Corrupt politicians? Bring it on. Traffic cop shake downs? Is that all you got? But this.... This is really sad. I won't lie, I'm hurt. Hurt deep. Is there nothing in this world that is sacred anymore? Cheating a rummy out of his rum is deplorable. It almost makes me want to stop drinking altogether..... but..... Then.... She beckons me.... That blue labeled temptress.... I love you brugal 1888 !!! I love you I do I do I do !!!! You are the only one that is always there for me You are the only one that truly understands. You .... You.... You...., complete me.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
going to be in the Corticeto area end of Feb and looking to buy some better rums . Don't mind Brugal extra veijo with coke... want to bring home a couple few jugs of some good stuff... My favorite now is Ron Zacappa on the rocks. It's $80 a 26 in Canada... any suggestions on brands to try and where to get them ... the Supermercado in Corticeto.. ? thanks

If you are mixing rum with coke than do not spend a lot of money on getting an aged sipping rum. A medium priced Barcelo or Brugal will do. If you are going to drink the rum by itself than splurge on a better quality . You can find rum in any supermarket but you may have to look harder to find the upscale products.

LTSteve

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
Not to criticize because everyone has their own taste. while here I enjoy Ron Barcelo dorado and president beer. Yes they may not be FINE, but they do the job at a reasonable price.

Personally I would rather put 20 lbs of Dominican Coffee in my suitcase.

Brugal + Coke Zero / repeat when needed
Presidente / can be substituted for above if Brugal not available.

Sitting in cold -25 Celsius weather missing the sweet Dominican liquid!!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
speaking of rum.... I don't know if it was always this way, or if Brugal is pulling the "Maker's Mark" trick of watering down the spirits... but last visit I was casually looking at the label on my favorite casual rum... Brugal Extra Viejo, and noticed it is not 80 proof / 40 % alcohol. It's like 37.5 % or something like that. Either I never took the time to look before... or it's different. It doesn't matter much in taste (since I usually put it in mixed drinks), or in effect... (always room for one more), but it's somehow mildly disappointing.

I wouldn't sweat it my friend, its been 37.5% for at least 10 yrs. My dad showed me , the alcohol content 10yrs ago, so its nothing new. Most rums here are 37.5%, I think its because of the tax they pay on alcohol content....

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Can anyone suggest where I can find Dominican Rums in Canada? I was here for the past 6 months and never found DR rum on LCBO shelves? The one I found is an unknown brand spiced rum bottled in US?

R3cycle

Sep 20, 2013
The Brugal bottle says "extra viejo".

Extra viejo?? How many years? Why dont they say the number of years in the barrel?
Maybe because they cant: this ron is not aged: I guess they prepare it with a mixture of instant "ron powder" mixed with low level alcohol

I call it scam

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Can anyone suggest where I can find Dominican Rums in Canada? I was here for the past 6 months and never found DR rum on LCBO shelves? The one I found is an unknown brand spiced rum bottled in US?

In BC and Alberta I have seen Brugal Anejo for around 35 bucks a bottle.

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
just got back from a 10 day trip . Tried about a doz rums . Ended up buying some Oliver Grandes Rones X 2 . A punta cana black and a Esplendido... The black is the smoothest rum i've ever had... The only one on the replies above i couldn't find was flor de cana centenario... but had a taste of all the rest at the Boca Chica store in Cortecito and at the Paradisus punta cana bars. thanx for the info Susan...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
The following suggestion is not a rum and not a fine liquor by any standard, but it is definitely something different...Do you guys know that DR produces the only vodka in the world that is made from sugar cane? It is called Cayman Blue vodka, and it is almost impossible to find in stores up north. Definitely something you want mixed, but for a vodka I found it rather smooth.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Like all aquavits, vodka can be made from anything, since it is neutral spirits. It's flavored with potato skins.
I believe Russians mostly use corn, but it may depend on the harvest.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Like all aquavits, vodka can be made from anything, since it is neutral spirits. It's flavored with potato skins.
I believe Russians mostly use corn, but it may depend on the harvest.

Of course, some are even made of wheat. The point is...it is made locally and unique to DR for being the only one to use sugarcane. Totally a PICHARDO plug waiting to happen LOL

All that and it doesn't taste half bad ;)

bombero

Jan 20, 2014
boca chica has it but its not a blue bottle.... Never had a hangover from rum ... or pretty much anything.. don't get them...Brother in Law hates me .. I've tried expensive vodka on the rocks... it all has no taste, why bother...

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Do you guys know that DR produces the only vodka in the world that is made from sugar cane? It is called Cayman Blue vodka, and it is almost impossible to find in stores up north. Definitely something you want mixed, but for a vodka I found it rather smooth.

Google finds a lot of sugar cane vodkas actually. I found Cayman Blue only a touch better something like Eristoff, an OK deal for 400-450 pesos for mixed drinks. Stoli is 100 pesos more and much smoother.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Best Dominican Rum if you can find it is the Barcelo Rum that comes in a tin. It is aged I believe either 24 or 30 years. Goes down like fine Cognac in a snifter. High price, but tops for the DR. Brugal has something similar in a Blue bottle. Very good also.

For a reasonable priced Rum Barcelo Imperial will do nicely. About 850 rd.

Yes the rum you speak of is aged 30 years. It runs around a $100usd per bottle. Mt Gay is an internationally recognized rum from Barbados. I have two bottles I am too lazy to go check what the second bottle is but it is supposed to be one of the best rums in the world. Ron Barcelo Imperial is a far smoother rum. It is by far my favortie. For celebration of miesposas visa i will probably splurge for the 30 year old Ron Barcelo. But honestly i dont know how it could be significantly better than the regular Ron Barcelo Imperial. And the price is right. Carrefour has had it on sale for less than 700rd for quite some time. Saw it as low as 650rd around Christmas.

Brugal is for guests. Guests that i would prefer arent guests that is.