A Motorcycle Ride Report: The Border with Haiti

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I saw a couple of inconsistencies, as to location, but what a fabulous fabulous story and photo essay. Really the best I have seen on that area.

Like DDoran, I did the San Juan de la Maguana to Dajabon trip back in 62, in a Jeep. The bridges were logs over the gaps. No permits. Road was "interesting" but totally passable.

If memory serves, Robert of DR1 did the trip from Lake Enriquillo to Pedernales a few years ago in a 4 x 4...but I do not remember an photos. That was real quality photography.

You are to be congratulated and if you are in Santiago one day, I'll will toast you and Heidi with a beer or two.

Cordially,

HB

Reactions: cavebiker

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's more than just an awesome report.

I'm not sure many here understand the extreme difficulty, physical and pure skill, of what Tom did. The roads he chose were very inhospitable for two wheels. Big rocks, an uphill trek and a laboring motor are ingredients for a nasty fall. Downhill with no engine braking is equally difficult.

There are few real adventure motorcyclists like Tom Junkans on the planet.

cavebiker

Have a dream, live it. Set a goal, achieve it.
Ha! I guess I have been told; DR1.com likes this type of stuff. I will have to post more :)

Anyway, thanks a ton everyone for all the super words, it makes me want to quit my job (again) and get back to the island. And I cannot thank you all enough for that, I love that feeling.

I saw a couple of inconsistencies, as to location, but what a fabulous fabulous story and photo essay. Really the best I have seen on that area.

Like DDoran, I did the San Juan de la Maguana to Dajabon trip back in 62, in a Jeep. The bridges were logs over the gaps. No permits. Road was "interesting" but totally passable.

If memory serves, Robert of DR1 did the trip from Lake Enriquillo to Pedernales a few years ago in a 4 x 4...but I do not remember an photos. That was real quality photography.

You are to be congratulated and if you are in Santiago one day, I'll will toast you and Heidi with a beer or two.

Cordially,

HB

Hey HB,

Just re-read it and yes, I saw a few inconsistencies in the photos also. At first I tried to have fewer photos and more writing but the more I read it the less I liked it. So I inserted just about every photo I had from this ride, and I liked it much more. I just goofed up a couple times it looks, but it rocks you spotted them! For sure the first photo was just a teaser, that was from a completely different ride. Maybe I will post that ride next :rambo:.

We will take you up on the beer in Santiago offer, hopefully you will talk about the DR back in 62? and your jeep ride. How super!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Ha! I guess I have been told; DR1.com likes this type of stuff. I will have to post more :)

Anyway, thanks a ton everyone for all the super words, it makes me want to quit my job (again) and get back to the island. And I cannot thank you all enough for that, I love that feeling.

Hey HB,

Just re-read it and yes, I saw a few inconsistencies in the photos also. At first I tried to have fewer photos and more writing but the more I read it the less I liked it. So I inserted just about every photo I had from this ride, and I liked it much more. I just goofed up a couple times it looks, but it rocks you spotted them! For sure the first photo was just a teaser, that was from a completely different ride. Maybe I will post that ride next :rambo:.

We will take you up on the beer in Santiago offer, hopefully you will talk about the DR back in 62? and your jeep ride. How super!

Wow! Great pics, thanks for the narrative too.
Looks like;
The roads were terrible, the food was so so, the hotels were sketchy, the bike was a big gamble, the weather unpredictable, the bull wanted to eat you, some kids wanted to rob you, permits a hassle, and the ride home painfull. Having said all that, CAN I GO WITH YOU NEXT TIME!!!????? lol Everytime I go out on the bike, everyone wants to turn around after one hour!!!

My favorite part was about the vise grip. As I kid, my uncle would always say, "oh I saw you going with the hatchet and vise grip this morning, did your motorcycle break again?" lol

Mar 1, 2009
Cavebiker your the man. I really enjoyed it. I've always wondered what's out there with regards to the border. It's not a walk in the park as I was able to see through your marvelous postings. Thank you for showing parts of my country I still haven't had the chance to see but am now even more encouraged to visit!

cavebiker

//The roads were terrible, the food was so so, the hotels were sketchy, the bike was a big gamble, the weather unpredictable, the bull wanted to eat you, some kids wanted to rob you, permits a hassle, and the ride home painfull. Having said all that, CAN I GO WITH YOU NEXT TIME!!!????? lol //

!! I can tell from this post that we would have fun riding together fer?sure. lol

//As I kid, my uncle would always say, "oh I saw you going with the hatchet and vise grip this morning, did your motorcycle break again?" lol//
and this nailed it! I knew there are OTHERS.

Cavebiker your the man. I really enjoyed it. I've always wondered what's out there with regards to the border. It's not a walk in the park as I was able to see through your marvelous postings. Thank you for showing parts of my country I still haven't had the chance to see but am now even more encouraged to visit!

Thank you, that is perfect. :)

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Inspirational! You've made me get off my ass and look for a bike! You will have to let me know if you have any other trips planned and want some company!

cavebiker

Inspirational! You've made me get off my ass and look for a bike! You will have to let me know if you have any other trips planned and want some company!

Hey chrisdr,
Oh man, I wish these trip reports were current, we are back on the mainland US now working toward our next escape to the island. But hang on, we will be back and a ride together somewhere will be in order. Keep us filled in on your bike quest experience, thats fun stuff!

cavebiker

Hey! What a fantastic ride. I think my new machine would like doing the border run, 2000' XR400r :bandit: Although if I can find a newer DT250 or DT125 on the island, that would be my preferred bike. The DR beckons...
i-9GrBmjL-L.jpg

kts78

Nov 29, 2007
your report brought back lots of memories- me and my wife did the boarder road, lol- oh the feeling of pain in the rear (litterally) when the gaurd says you can't go through with without a pass- they did eventually let us through. Now we mostly stick to the mountains in the center of the country.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I'msurprised you had so much trouble with the shift lever. Wasn't there an indentation for the bolt to prevent slipping should it loosen given worn splines on the shaft?
Pounding it on with a shim will only work for so long as you've had to do it over again. Lending itself to more expensive repairs later.
Otherwise, hell of a ride. Cudos for the pics too.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Anybody have any idea when the border will open again for the LEGAL crossing of private vehicles? I know there are unofficial places where bikes can cross, but I have a truck stuck there.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Wow!
I have always had visions of what the border looked like but they were nothing like you have posted.
Simply fantastic, brings back memories of the 1980's when I was a Yamaha T&T (Track and Trail) biker.
90% of my biking was off road.
Now 99% of my life is in a rocking chair on the patio.
But you did it for me; and I thank you for that .

Bravo Zulu

cavebiker

With all the current news about Haiti (sad & disturbing) I’m drawn to revisit this post. Wow! We need to come back to relive this life of living on a Caribbean island soon, while we still can. Our happy-hour travel meetings always start with 'The DR" I’m not sure what the conditions are like near the border or inland but I need to find out. I super dig everyone’s comments and posts here, thank you again. I hope we can run into some of you soon!
P1150254%20-edit-L.jpg

JustAdventureTravel.net