The Cardinal is at it again

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
And this time he's voicing his displeasure with a US Congress delegation traveling to the DR to observe working conditions in the bateyes and to discuss the pros and cons of US-DR free trade treaties.

He's saying the US does not have the moral authority for such things.

From now on, nothing he says will surprise me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
tHIS is typical Democratic politicking. the bateyes are dead zones, abandoned because there are no longer working sugar mills. Unfortunately, the people that lived in the bateyes were left hanging. With the "poor father of a family" attitude, many are waiting for the government to come in a nd build schools and provide services for which the bateyes were never designed to have. They were supposed to be temporary housing for cane cutters....but they have developed into something entirely different.

Why not have the Dems come to Las Americas Free Zone? Or Santiago's main Free Zone? That's where there are workers.....like bees, hustling all day long for their pay....

Or go to the Julian Javier High School in Tenares....there are 500 mopeds and pasolitas in the patio....

Maybe a Dominican delegation should go to the farms of the south and southwest of the US, and see about the conditions of the Mexican migrant workers????
Fair enough?

I cannot defend the existance of the bateyes, but they are not the typical work environment nor housing environment of the Dominican poor. Today they are anachronistic remnants of bygone days when sugar was king.

Oh, maybe they;'ll go to La Romana!!! There, they can see how it should be done....

For shame Dems, this is a low blow...

HB

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
tHIS is typical Democratic politicking. the bateyes are dead zones, abandoned because there are no longer working sugar mills. Unfortunately, the people that lived in the bateyes were left hanging. With the "poor father of a family" attitude, many are waiting for the government to come in a nd build schools and provide services for which the bateyes were never designed to have. They were supposed to be temporary housing for cane cutters....but they have developed into something entirely different.

Why not have the Dems come to Las Americas Free Zone? Or Santiago's main Free Zone? That's where there are workers.....like bees, hustling all day long for their pay....

Or go to the Julian Javier High School in Tenares....there are 500 mopeds and pasolitas in the patio....

Maybe a Dominican delegation should go to the farms of the south and southwest of the US, and see about the conditions of the Mexican migrant workers????
Fair enough?

I cannot defend the existance of the bateyes, but they are not the typical work environment nor housing environment of the Dominican poor. Today they are anachronistic remnants of bygone days when sugar was king.

Oh, maybe they;'ll go to La Romana!!! There, they can see how it should be done....

For shame Dems, this is a low blow...

HB

Well, there are plenty of sugarcane work out in my neck of the woods - Higuey and Romana are not all resorts and Casa 'e Campo. A while ago I visited a couple of bateyes, camera in hand, and I had to get out of Dodge in a hurry, and I'm a peace-loving nincompoop.

Since it's been considered a Dem-sponsored political play, I wonder if you and the Cardinal would approve if this was a Republican-led initiative, if such thing was concievable

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
When will the politicians have the cojones to abrogate the Concordat which is still in the books. That is the source of why the Cardinal comports himself this way. Embarrassing!!!!

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
It's Dem-led mixed delegation.

I will not be surprised if the Cardinal blames it on the Clenis or uses that tired, old line, "What about Clinton? He lied to the American public?" as a way to shift the discussion.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
does the cardinal wear Prada?

..on a more serious know, I chuckled upon reading the fact Congressman
Jerry Weller (R-Rios Montt) is part of the delegation. ..any one care to wonder why? ;-)

May 12, 2005
I've seen some of those houses by the mill in La Romana Hillbilly is talking about, we should all have houses like that. Can I get a job there if a house comes with it?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
does the cardinal wear Prada?

..on a more serious know, I chuckled upon reading the fact Congressman
Jerry Weller (R-Rios Montt) is part of the delegation. ..any one care to wonder why? ;-)

Free-trade supporter and wife and family will benefit from CAFTA deals in Guatemala?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was just trying to emphasize the fact that if you want to look for ugly, youcan find that anywhere. I am certainly not saying that the bateyes are great places to live. But they don't have to come here to see life in bateyes. They can go to upstate New York in the summer time and look at the migrant camps, or to Arizona or California and see how the stoop-labor Mexicans are living....

So they come here... get out of that nasty DC weather..and p!ss on the DR because there are lousy living conditions? Not fair!....

I mentioned La Romana since they are the most modern mill inthe DR and the most successful in providing for their employees. The bateyes have electricity and running water, something many parts of the major cities don't have. they are not villas nor are they in any way a place to visit and "look at the locals"...

As long as the OP admits that this is a mere political ploy, I don't really care if he likes the cardinal's comments or not. I don't always agree with him..either.

HB

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
"Concordat"

When will the politicians have the cojones to abrogate the Concordat which is still in the books. That is the source of why the Cardinal comports himself this way. Embarrassing!!!!

Could you please define "Concordat", Thanks, Canadian Bob.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Pero ven aca KID donde es que tu vives jejejejeje

From now on??? Man this dude has been talking caca for a VERY long time. hehehehe

I confess: I'm late to the game. But how one explains the media's fascination with him? His comments always seem to find the front covers of newspapers.

Being that he's a religious icon and I'm the anti-*, I should stay away. But I do think it's fun.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I confess: I'm late to the game. But how one explains the media's fascination with him? His comments always seem to find the front covers of newspapers.

Being that he's a religious icon and I'm the anti-*, I should stay away. But I do think it's fun.

I tell ya, people obtain power and they misuse it, totally. It's a shame, really! This man "the cardinal" could be using his influence and his power in the catholic church to help the Dominican people get ahead spiritually, economically, intellectually, etc.etc.

and I think all priest should be able to marry, I know is not up to him.

I felt the same way the last few times I went to a catholic church. The priest has a powerful job up there at the pulpit, he can influence people with his sermon. There are powerful things he can say for the better of the community and they really don't know how to do it.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I tell ya, people obtain power and they misuse it, totally. It's a shame, really! This man "the cardinal" could be using his influence and his power in the catholic church to help the Dominican people get ahead spiritually, economically, intellectually, etc.etc.

and I think all priest should be able to marry, I know is not up to him.

I felt the same way the last few times I went to a catholic church. The priest has a powerful job up there at the pulpit, he can influence people with his sermon. There are powerful things he can say for the better of the community and they really don't know how to do it.

That is a magnificent point!!!

En ves de estar hablando disparate por ahi. :ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Gen. Manuel de Js. Lopez Rodriguez words should be interpreted outside of the religious context. His opinions are personal, and the reason most Dominicans pay attention to him is not because of his religious affiliation but because of his political authority. Remember, he is an active Major General in the Dominican Armed Forces and has command over troops, He, along with all the Bishops, who have the rank of Brigadier Generals, command actual troops. All Church personnel (priests, nuns, etc.) are on government payroll, Churches are built and maintained with State funds. Don't underestimate the Cardinal's clout, if things come to naught, he may be the only one left holding the staff of authority...

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Gen. Manuel de Js. Lopez Rodriguez words should be interpreted outside of the religious context. His opinions are personal, and the reason most Dominicans pay attention to him is not because of his religious affiliation but because of his political authority. Remember, he is an active Major General in the Dominican Armed Forces and has command over troops, He, along with all the Bishops, who have the rank of Brigadier Generals, command actual troops. All Church personnel (priests, nuns, etc.) are on government payroll, Churches are built and maintained with State funds. Don't underestimate the Cardinal's clout, if things come to naught, he may be the only one left holding the staff of authority...

That would make Ratzinger the Omar Bradley of the entire outfit, and the local sacristan a mere corporal...un cabo 'e vela.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Otra vez!

I sometimes wonder if religion, in any form, is divine punishment for our naughtiness.
It has been my experience that most, if not all religions, throughout history has been the cause, directly or indirectly, of great conflicts and suffering.

It seems that those in the hierarchy of notably Judaism, Christianity and Islam choose to suppress, eradicate, and downright exterminate those that do not conform to their way of thinking.

That is why separation of state and church is so vital to the stability and prosperity of any nation on earth. The US founding fathers had it right-on when they wrote the constitution.
can't think of a more liberating piece of paper ever. The need to disconnect/detach from religion was a stroke of genius and extremely courageous considering the strength of the Anglican church at the time.

This is obvioustly why the Cardinal is out of line here. But we must understand that the Cardinal is simply doing what he thinks is his divine-given right. That is, to multiply the social problems we already have by crucifying gays and ranting about this or that.
He ought to be using his church to help the poor, but instead he engages in derogatory discourse and political shenanigans, none of which is his specialty and certainly not his concern in the first place.

Arrepientates Satanas!