The Cibao old families & Geneology

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I spotted that too. Some of the other surnames are Spanish (Aquino, Santos, Rom?n, Dur?n), or Middle Eastern (Al?, Salad?n), Deetjen looks Dutch or Flemish and Pujol is Catalan.

You spoiled my fun Chiri, Duran is one of Mr. AE's Cibao surnames, I wish I had a camera to capture the look on his face when I told him he might be part Haitian. One of his best friends from SD is a Roman, and he's as white as I am.

I think there are definitely some inaccuracies in that 'study'.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Interesting info, although those people with Haitian surnames must be a very tiny minority, since more than 80% of Dominicans are descendants of a European male.
Or they descend from the French that used to rule Haiti.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's what happen with the Espaillat family. They would be categorized as Haitian and many people are not even aware that the patriarch of the Espaillat was a Frenchman that migrated east and settled in the Cibao when all the disturbances began to arise in Haiti.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I forgot to add in my previous post that for many years, the patriarch of the Espaillat was saluted by everyone with the title of Monseur Espaillat, a French title despite he was already on the Spanish part and should had been referred to as Se?or.

May 12, 2005
Gurabo, are you familiar with the series of books called "Familias Dominicanas" by Carlos Larraz?bal Blanco.

In over 10 years, I have only been able to buy 3 volumes. They're impossible to find.

If your surname starts with A, B, C, O or P, send me a PM and I can look up your family.

My wife's family name is Batista and her mother's name was Breton. What do your books have to say about those names?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Interesting, yes, but how did the Bonetti's end up on that list? I'm pretty sure they are of Italian ancestry, Mr. AE worked with a couple of them in SD.

They have money and class! is the most important in DR.

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You spoiled my fun Chiri, Duran is one of Mr. AE's Cibao surnames, I wish I had a camera to capture the look on his face when I told him he might be part Haitian. One of his best friends from SD is a Roman, and he's as white as I am.

hey, AE. remember that some of these paterfamilias guys of old liked to fire some serious stray shots. that is why you will find a barrio bunny or two called Belikis Beato.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My wife's family name is Batista and her mother's name was Breton. What do your books have to say about those names?

Not much on Breton:
Siglo XIX
1. Francisco Breton y Manuela de los Santos. Hijos: H1 Antonio Ramon 1806 H2 Manuel 1807
2. Manuel Breton y Juana Espinosa Perdomo, del partido de La Isabella. Hijos: H1 Manuel 1808
3. Juan Breton y Andrea ..."de nacion inglesa americana" (sic). Hijos: H1 Juan 1824. H2 Maria Salome, b. dic. 1824, de 6 meses

A lot on Batista:
Siglos XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX
1. Marco Antonio Batista y Felipa de Santiago. Hijos: H1 Marco Antonio 1594
2. Juan Batista y Magdalena de Minaya. Hijos: H1 Francisca 1604. H2........m. 1669, parv.
3. Jose Batista y Teresa de la Conception, nats. de Palma, Canarias, residentes en la villa para nueva poblacion[San Carlos??]. Hijos: H1 Jose, m. 1752, adulto. H2 Maria, m. 1752 - San Carlos
4. Diego Batista y Margarita Victorino. Hijos: H1 Jose Jacinto 1792. H2 Andres Corsino 1794. H3 Francisco Fermin 1796. H4 Maria Bernadina 1800.
5. Jose Batista, nat de Neiba. Hijos: H1 Jose del Socorro 1797
6. Andres Batista y Francisca Wenceslao. Hijos: H1 Lorenzo 1801
7. Andres Batista y Josefa Bona, pardos libres. Hijos: H1 Simona 1818. H2 Jose Gregorio 1826. H3 Mercedes, c.c. Luis Urraca 1864, suc., m. 1886
8. Francisco Batista y Maria Fermina Dominguez. Hijos: H1 Maria Jacinta 1818. H2 Juana Facunda 1822. H3 Alejo 1824. H4 Marcos 1825
9. Ruperta Batista. Hijos: H1 Maria Altagracia 1829
10. Marcela Batista [o Bautista]. Hijos: H1 Maria del Carmen [Velasquez], c.c. Tomas Sanchez 1845. H2 Jose Maria [Batista] c.c. Cornelia Alvarez, h. de Juan de la Cruz Alvarez y Petronila Polanco, 1889 [SC]
11. Luisa Batista. Hijos: H1 Juan Feliz 1852 [SB]
12. Mercedes Batista. Hijos H1. Felix. Felix Batista, pandadero, y Gregoria Pereyra, hija de Eusebio Pereyra y Gregoria Martinez. Hijos: H1 Merced Maria 1862-1864. H2. Jose Antonio 1865-1882, solt. [SC]
13. Juana Batista. Hijos: H1 Manuel. Manuel Batista, 24 anos, c.c. Eulalia Medina, 18 anos, h. de Eugenia Medina, 1887. Hijos: N1 Manuel Antonio 1888. N2 Elena Aurora 1890. N3 Idilio 1892
14. Calixta Batista, hija de Angel Batista, nats. de Barahona. Hijos: H1 Francisco Maria 1864
15. Nicolas Batista y Mercedes [Pambren]. Hijos: H1 Altagracia [Yaya, comadrona], 18 anos, c.c. Medardo Mella, 1884, suc.
16. .....Batista y Guadalupe Amiama. Hijos: H1 Felix Castro 1890, c.c. Abigail Penson Rodriguez, sin suc., murio tragicamente.
17. Agueda Batista. Hijos: H1 Esperanza, c.c. Vicente Manana, 1888 [SC]
VARIOS:
1. Felix....m. epid. viruelas 1881-2, parv. 2. Manuel.......31 anos, viudo, m. 1894. 3 Maria......90 anos, viuda, m. 1900

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

You don't have to show him my post :)
Dur?n may well be a Hispanicised form of Durand.
Mr C has a couple of those "French" surnames in the extended family too - Coiscou is still spelt and pronounced the French way and I have met people with that surname in Haiti.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My grandfather surname was Arnaud, his mother family.
I was told is a French surname... Just curios where this people came from before they settle in Moca.

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My grandfather surname was Arnaud, his mother family.
I was told is a French surname... Just curios where this people came from before they settle in Moca.

JJ

The surname ARNAUD does not appear in the books....the closest is ARNAO, who came from France in the 1600s

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
My paternal surname is Lozano. They have had their seat in Valverde in the last century (and Santiago on the XIXth one) but the farthest back I have seen the surname here was from an oidor (Spanish colonial official) of Monte Cristi (and later Monte Plata) during the dark times of the devastations of Osorio in 1605-06.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Just found out reading this article that some of my friends's surnames are rooted in Haiti.

Encuentre al haitiano detr?s de su apellido "dominicano" consultando esta lista - Peri?dico Digital Dominicano - 7d?as.com.do

Theses families have being in DR for many generation.

JJ

Then I can say with all property that I'm an all around spic (with an Anglo touch), cuz' these are my surnames:

Lozano, Gil, Bueno, Taveras, Soto, Matos, Melo, Pe?a, Vallejo, Kelly (this one from the BWI's, from my maternal great- great grand mammy), none of which are on that list.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Interesting, yes, but how did the Bonetti's end up on that list? I'm pretty sure they are of Italian ancestry, Mr. AE worked with a couple of them in SD.

Moreover, Moya Pons is BSing as far as the Pujol is concerned. The real root of that family was the Canarian inmigrant to our borders, Pablo Pujol, which would be coerced by Toussaint to vote on the 1801 constitution. To see more info about Canarian surnames, read "La Colonizacion de la Frontera Dominicana 1680-1795" from the Canarian historian Manuel Hernandez Gonzalez. While it's true that the Pujol would leave descendents in Haiti too (a proof of which is the Haitian intellectual Alexandre Poujol), it's not the less true that this would be in the elite, and not in the ex-slave mass, as Moya Pons is implying. Moreover, the Haitian intellectual in question that I mentioned would marry a woman from the Dominican branch of the family.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I spotted that too. Some of the other surnames are Spanish (Aquino, Santos, Rom?n, Dur?n), or Middle Eastern (Al?, Salad?n), Deetjen looks Dutch or Flemish and Pujol is Catalan.

Deetjen is a Dutch surname, the name being traced to the Dutch inmigrant Alfredo Detjeen, which was one of the first representatives of the congress of the first Republic, representing the town of San Miguel de la Atalaya, which is now in Haitian possession. I think that Moya Pons is doing the dishonest exercise of putting as "Haitian" some of the surnames there just because they happened to hail from the Central Plateau, which he seems to conveniently forget that it used to be Hispanic first.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The surname ARNAUD does not appear in the books....the closest is ARNAO, who came from France in the 1600s

My Mother allaways told me they came from france a few generation before my Dad was born.
She say there it was a white man who came in the 60s to visit the family.
He couldn't speak Spanish but Franch.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
A white Haitian??? Maybe, yes i know there are many white Haitian families.

JJ

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Moreover, Moya Pons is BSing as far as the Pujol is concerned. The real root of that family was the Canarian inmigrant to our borders, Pablo Pujol, which would be coerced by Toussaint to vote on the 1801 constitution. To see more info about Canarian surnames, read "La Colonizacion de la Frontera Dominicana 1680-1795" from the Canarian historian Manuel Hernandez Gonzalez. While it's true that the Pujol would leave descendents in Haiti too (a proof of which is the Haitian intellectual Alexandre Poujol), it's not the less true that this would be in the elite, and not in the ex-slave mass, as Moya Pons is implying. Moreover, the Haitian intellectual in question that I mentioned would marry a woman from the Dominican branch of the family.

I think moya pons should leave these type of investigations to "el instituto de genealogia" since it seems to have alot of errors.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Anyone know anything about the Cepin family tree in Santiago? All I know is that the first Cepin were from Moca. I have tried to look for more info with no luck. Also, I found out that one of my ancestors was a guerrillero...Nene Cepin. He is mentioned in some writings.