THE CLEANEST CITY

J

jwbup

HI THERE PEOPLE, I'VE VISITED THE D.R TWICE ALREADY. I DROVE FROM SANTO DOMINGO ALL THE WAY TO PEURTO PLATA JUST TO EXPLORE THE DIFFERENT TERRAINS. I WOULD LIKE SOME "OPINIONS" REGARDING WHICH CITY YOU D.R VETEREANS FIND TO BE THE CLEANEST. PERSONALLY I LEAN TOWARD SANTIAGO.

L

Larry - Follow Up

JWB - Of the large cities, Santiago is probably the cleanest, but none of the cities I've visited deserve any particular star for cleanliness. Trash seems to be a problem everywhere. Try going outside the downtown area of Santiago and you will see what I mean. Now that doesn't mean there aren't some beautiful sites, just that litter doesn't seem to be a major concern. My opinion only and I'm sure I will get beat on for these comments...but have a great day anyway.

A

Al

No such thing as a clean city or town the Dominican Republic.
I am dominican so i have the right to say it.

K

Keith R

I haven't visited it this year, so it might have changed by now, but in 1999 I visited San Francisco de Macoris and was amazed at how clean the streets were. I really have not seen streets as well-kept anywhere else in the DR.
Regards,
Keith

G

Gunnar

If you by "clean" mean what you see, litter etc. I'd go
with al, there are no or at least very few cities that
deserves the attention of "cleanest". However, if
you look at pollution and environmental issues, up
around here (Jarabacoa) is VERY clean! Now I'm talking
laboratory analysis of air and water, as well as the type of
litter that dominates (bio-degradable or not). It might LOOK
equally dirty with plastic packages as with platano peels
on the street, but enveronmentally it is of course a HUGE
differrence!

Not that Jarabacoa is a big city, more a village. Still I
wake up every morning and maze over the fact that human
"civilization" still haven't managed to do any serious
ecological harm here yet.

It might come, though. It seems there are serious plans to
MOVE the Yaque, which, of course, will kill off most
life around...

C

Capt. Rob

Vsit La Vega for a treat go at night and visit the christmas light show.

J

jerry kiefer

I vote for Salcedo to the east of Moca. A small city but very organized and clean. The citzens have an aire of respect for their community.
Certainly not on the beaten path of tourism but an insight into a slice of normal life.

B

bob saunders

I've only been there once, but Moca was very clean when I was there. La Vega was relatively clean other that air pollution, the most crowded place I've ever been.

K

Kozytpm

Re: THE CLEANEST CITY: MAO

My vote goes to Mao,hands down. An agricultre center in the heart of the Cibao valley. Very green throughout, great central park and a university town to boot!