The Dominican Republic's Epic Quest for Baseball Glory

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The Dr is a great country for baseball talent... giving MLB teams in the USA great players.. But the DR sould try to develope other pro sports, as the decline of all baseball in the USA has been constance over several decades... and the money paid for the TV contracts is getting smaller, and that is the key to MLB............

Caonabo

27 de Febrero
Sep 27, 2017
The Dr is a great country for baseball talent... giving MLB teams in the USA great players.. But the DR sould try to develope other pro sports, as the decline of all baseball in the USA has been constance over several decades... and the money paid for the TV contracts is getting smaller, and that is the key to MLB............

I will agree with you in that I would like to see more government funding/support for fútbol/soccer programs within the nation.
This is the TRUE global sport. ⚽
The RD government is severely lacking in attempting to match private funds provided for this endeavour.

A.P.Colorado

Sep 1, 2020
prospective expat
A side note- I have a friend on the north coast who runs a batting cage that's free for the kids. He's long term plan is to use at as a pathway to education. Eventually it will include English classes and plan b career planning should baseball not be a viable career. Baseball, or any sport, can be a powerful ally in community building.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
A side note- I have a friend on the north coast who runs a batting cage that's free for the kids. He's long term plan is to use at as a pathway to education. Eventually it will include English classes and plan b career planning should baseball not be a viable career. Baseball, or any sport, can be a powerful ally in community building.

Down here in Boca Chica we have 6 baseball academies that I know of. I'm a Cardinal fan so I follow them. In their academy here, high school classes are a requirement. All must graduate. The GM came down for the grad ceremonies a year or so ago. I hope that all of them do that.