The DR is better than Florida?

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I have been with USAA for almost 30 years and they just bumped my auto insurance on a 2019 Range Rover Velar to $4,200 per year (it is more than my home owner insurance). To me, that was an impolite way of saying "we don't want to insure Florida drivers." They said it was because the payout on claims in Florida was 1.3x the premiums received. I can't argue that because the ambulance chasing shyster lawyers are settling huge claims in FL. I switched to progressive and paying a fraction for what USAA was charging.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I left NY in 1979. My parents retired to Florida late 1980s. They both said it was the best years of their lives.
My Aunt and Uncle left Lansing Michigan when he got early retirement from Chysler and moved to Lake Wales. They said they never wanted to see snow again. Their kids follwed them, but when to Ft Myers, and Tampa. They spread but are all still in Florida.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Florida vs. the D.R.:

Jacksonville, Florida, is the birthplace of Southern Rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, etc...).

The D.R. has given the world no-talent Dembow acts, el Doctor Fadul, and José Laluz, and hundreds of uninformed loudmouths on radio, TV, and social networks.

So, it's Florida by a long shot.
Don't forget Florida Georgia Line

Reactions: Lucifer

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have been with USAA for almost 30 years and they just bumped my auto insurance on a 2019 Range Rover Velar to $4,200 per year (it is more than my home owner insurance). To me, that was an impolite way of saying "we don't want to insure Florida drivers." They said it was because the payout on claims in Florida was 1.3x the premiums received. I can't argue that because the ambulance chasing shyster lawyers are settling huge claims in FL. I switched to progressive and paying a fraction for what USAA was charging.
And drivers in Florida are frigging crazy. Lots of uninsured there and lots and lots of salvage title cars

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Don't forget Florida Georgia Line
Well, that was a country duo, but just as good.

What I didn't include were the true gods of Southern Rock, the Allman Brothers Band.

Had I done so, the FLA-vs-D.R. comparison would've resulted in a complete rout: a no-hitter, coupled with several touchdowns, punctuated with a hat trick, a slam dunk, and a devastating 1st round KO... akin to Secretariat competing against an obese three-legged filly in the Belmont Stakes

The D.R. didn't have a fighting chance, since it's the birthplace of José Laluz, rendering D.R. a loser from the get-go.

Final score: Florida 8; D.R. didn't

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Don't/didn't most people move to DR for a different lifestyle? Not sure why/how comparing it to Florida makes sense. Some may have moved to the DR for the closeness to Florida for possible medical treatment, etc...

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well, that was a country duo, but just as good.

What I didn't include were the true gods of Southern Rock, the Allman Brothers Band.

Had I done so, the FLA-vs-D.R. comparison would've resulted in a complete rout: a no-hitter, coupled with several touchdowns, punctuated with a hat trick, a slam dunk, and a devastating 1st round KO... akin to Secretariat competing against an obese three-legged filly in the Belmont Stakes

The D.R. didn't have a fighting chance,
it's the birthplace of José Laluz, rendering D.R. a loser from the get-go.

Final score: Florida 8; D.R. didn't

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
if you compare health insurance here for a single man it is 4,000 lesos a month conpared to 58,000 pesos a month in the usa. thats alot of chickens

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My Aunt and Uncle left Lansing Michigan when he got early retirement from Chysler and moved to Lake Wales. They said they never wanted to see snow again. Their kids follwed them, but when to Ft Myers, and Tampa. They spread but are all still in Florida.
Bob, I still have cousins in Florida and California. Two of my mother’s sisters married USAF serviceman stationed at Ernest Harmon AFB in Stephenville, Newfoundland. It closed in 1966. My parents would split their snowbird stays between Florida and California. They preferred California overall. I could easily spend my winters in Key West if it wasn’t so expensive. The DR is still better than Florida from a cost of living perspective even though it’s become more expensive to live in the DR post Covid.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It's also full of Cubans, Venezuelans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Mexicans and in addition to all of them Yanks... us Rednecks.
Nothing wrong with rednecks CR. I’ve spent time in Texas, Florida, and Alabama. I’ve met many and enjoyed conversing with them all. They are not limited to the South. We have plenty in Canada too. Funny what the mind can flash back to when certain words are mentioned. I hear the word redneck and my mind flashes back to the Saturday Night Live skit, “The Redneck Tanning Salon.” Willie Nelson made an appearance on it. Still remember him saying, “We may be rednecks but we’re good people”. 🤣 I miss the days of politically incorrect television.

Reactions: CristoRey

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I own a home about an hour south of Tampa,I absolutely love it there. I don't spend much time there now (I live in Colombia) but after spending about six months a year in the DR for ten years it is my opinion that comparing living in Florida to the DR is borderline ludicrous. Again,just my opinion.

Reactions: BermudaRum

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Florida sunrises are nicer.

Attachments

• IMG-20240408-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240408-WA0002.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 24