The drought is here to stay - The UN has spoken

C

chico bill

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/b...k-that-humans-are-causing-global-warming-now/

I'm looking at nasa's website, it contradicts the fake news website you quote...follow the link if you actually care.

also, sry for the bad language, its from the frustration we feel because we don't get the rains you guys are getting, so its real to us, and it is malicious bragging when people talk about having so much rain its spurting out everywhere.

i don't know if its going to be permanent like the UN says, i have my doubts as well, but i sure hope not.

So you insult people and curse them because your jealous of their rain ?

Wow you're a manly man aren't you?

Where do you live in DR that's not getting rain? - because all provinces are showing good amounts last week

C

chico bill

In fairness, that study is 19 years old.

Yes and as you will see it examines data from cores going back 450,000 years to establish patterns - I would think Global Warming scientists would find that enlightening unless they are only interested in climate data post Al Gore's "Truth"

C

cobraboy

Yes and as you will see it examines data from cores going back 450,000 years to establish patterns - I would think Global Warming scientists would find that enlightening unless they are only interested in climate data post Al Gore's "Truth"
Oh, I get it.

B

Big

now that plastic straws have been banned in some cities we should start to see some real results soon.
I changed by car battery last week and recycled it, right into the trash can

B

bob saunders

I know that I'm going to get slaughtered for saying this, on this site dominated by elderly American climate change deniers, but there are so many more articles to be found saying that humans are to blame for Climate Change and that is why the rest of the world believe them.

I don't post on the Off Topic section of DR1 because I know how aggressive people get there, but this is in the "Living" section. Maybe it's time it was moved to Off Topic, because there is very little DR content.

I am not American and not old enough to collect old age pension and I dont deny the climate may be changing however the evidence of mankind having an effect of climate is pretty slim andgetting slimmer everyday with more and more real scientist refuting humankinds influences. It is however true that we are poisoning the air, water, and soil. Those are all things that we can change. My wife says sheremembers Jarabacoa being colder when she was a child but the actual temperature records dont agree with her. In 1982 while living in Cold Lake Alberta we had 37 days in a row were the temperature was below - 30. I didnt think we were heading for the next iceage or that it was a Russian plot. I also remember days in the 1960s when I lived in British Columbia where we had no frost or snow in the winter and summer temperatures over 100 f. People with short memory spans panic if they dont get the weather they expect.

Last edited:
E

etolw

Meanwhile, back to the DR and the drought situation

The director of the National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (INDRHI) Olgo Fernández reported Thursday, that due to the weather situation, it has been favorable in the last five days, benefiting all the dams that were in a critical state.

“We have had a rain process that has favored us in a significant way, the Tavera dam that was one of the most depressed, precisely today is in the 318 quota and that of Sabaneta is pouring today, which indicates that it is completely full, ”said Fernández.

He also indicated that “the Sabana Yegua dam has an entrance of 165 cubic meters per second from this Wednesday, which indicates that from next week it will be fully recovered, also that Hatillo has a good entrance, Monción, Valdesia , Higüey and Avocado, which indicates that all the reservoirs are in a process in an accelerated way in recovery ”.

The official said that this is good at the end of September, because the month of October would allow the dams to be fully recovered and thus have guaranteed water for planting beans from San Juan, Azua tomato and rice in all systems that starts at the beginning of December.

M

melphis

Here are a couple of interesting things.

The automobile was a way to curb pollution in big cities like New York and London. Everybody had a horse. Approx 1 million people in each of those 2 cities. That means 20-22 lbs of horse poop per horse or around 22 million tons of it per day in just those 2 cities. Not to mention the methane cloud. How nice.

Second. Plastic was brought in to help curb landfill waste as paper, cloth and metal where the problem of the day back then. Guess nobody saw the plastic issue coming.

Lastly there is no process invented yet to handle all the waste batteries from electric cars if we where all to switch over tomorrow. Can you imagine the toxic waste nightmare from these.

Hopefully Sweden has another mentally challenged teenager to deal with this problem.

C

cobraboy

Here are a couple of interesting things.

The automobile was a way to curb pollution in big cities like New York and London. Everybody had a horse. Approx 1 million people in each of those 2 cities. That means 20-22 lbs of horse poop per horse or around 22 million tons of it per day in just those 2 cities. Not to mention the methane cloud. How nice.

Second. Plastic was brought in to help curb landfill waste as paper, cloth and metal where the problem of the day back then. Guess nobody saw the plastic issue coming.

Lastly there is no process invented yet to handle all the waste batteries from electric cars if we where all to switch over tomorrow. Can you imagine the toxic waste nightmare from these.

Hopefully Sweden has another mentally challenged teenager to deal with this problem.
Remember what All Hailed plastic grocery bags, because paper bags were killing trees?

M

melphis

I will be back in a couple of weeks. Would it be rude of me to hope for dry sunshine when I get there lol

R

RDKNIGHT

Remember what All Hailed plastic grocery bags, because paper bags were killing trees?

I can't stand the plastic bags ,,,,but i get your point I wonder what will be next?the world is always changing...... for that Just keep baking and dont worry about sh##

B

Big

I always heard that separating your garbage before you put it out for curbside pickup was supposed to save the planet from impending doom.
I use aerosols, own two V8's, never separate trash, buy for horse-power not for economy, my heat pump in the U.S is running as we speak and Im in Santo Domingo now. I am going to hell for sure.

D

DR Solar

We have been here over 20 years. We notice things. The D.R. is unique having several micro climates all over the island. While some have rain, others are in drought.

Here on the north coast in our micro climate, we have not had city water in over 5 years. Growth in the area with pools and population have changed the demand and the instructor has no where kept up with it.

We depend mostly on rain harvest and some well, with the well having mostly salt water intrusion in the last year so we can not use it. This is the first year in over 5 that we have had to buy trucked water.

Even though we have have had a record 6" in two weeks... that does NOT end the water concern.

A couple of weeks of downpours does not end a drought situation. You have to look at the whole year and years before.

I remember over 20 years ago when it rained every day except 2 in 3 months and my wife and I didn't use the pool. "Well.... we are going to get wet anyway; let's go swimming." Now we wonder where the summer thunderstorms are that gave us rain every 10 days/ 2 weeks in the past that gave us water.

E

etolw

Do you remember the drougth 22 years ago?
Cattle have died in the north and villagers have begun flooding into the cities where there is water, albeit rationed. The shortages and high prices of food have caused numerous protests across the country, many of which have ended in violent clashes with police. ---

C

chico bill

Droughts come and go. Anyone heard of the Dust Bowl ? A decade of drought in the US plains - no rain, dry hot winds and massive crop, livestock & farm failure (1930 – 1939) It ended with heavy rains, and I am sure you have heard about some recent flooding in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas this year (wow imagine that).

Climate change is nothing new and all the wannabe Global Warming victims proclaiming we are in a new climate paradigm are being led like sheep.

Thank God back then real men didn't worship & take advice from a 16 year-old girl from some in-bred village across the pond. No they toughed it out or they packed up their meager belongs and headed to other places with two hands, not looking for handouts, but for work to build for themselves a better life - That was the Greatest Generation

https://www.findmypast.com/blog/history/1939-the-year-the-dust-bowl-settled

B

Big

if you ever want a dry climate head over to Monti Cristi, I don't think it ever rains over there

E

etolw

The key word/response to changes in climate is ADAPT. Even if you believe humans can control the climate or not, it is going to change the next decades. Climate models regarding precipitation does not agree in what direction for which country though, nobody knows. Best guess is wetter where it rains, drier where it is dry for the most part. DR, much the same as in the past in my opinion.

DR is blessed with more than sufficient rain compared to other countries, and it will remain so in the foreseeable future.
But more dams might need to be built, and better water management might be needed.

The original message that started this thread, an opinion from a DR UN representative

Drought, in my opinion, has come to stay. The long periods of drought, unfortunately, are part of the consequences of climate change and we have to adapt,” Gallardo told reporters before participating in the XXIX Meeting of the Regional Committee on Agricultural Statistics and Food Security for Latin America and FAO Caribbean.

He said that it’s necessary to complement the actions currently being carried out by the Government with initiatives aimed at prevention and stressed the importance of defining, from cooperation, an “array of good practices to maintain good production even in conditions of drought.”

Todays article in elCaribe

We can rejoice. A couple of tropical waves and / or troughs have brought the long-awaited good rain. It is expected to continue raining, but already with the rains recorded this drought is alleviated and consequently acute lack of drinking water. The Santo Domingo Aqueduct and Sewer Corporation (CAASD) reported an increase in the amount of water in the Haina Manoguayabo, Isabela, Duey and Isa Mana systems, which feed the city. Sectors that have been without water for months would begin to receive it. That the improvement does not call us to relax. Just as we have to get used to warmer weather, we have to get used to more frequent and long droughts, courtesy of climate change. We must develop something we don't have: water saving culture.

S

Son of a sailor

So you insult people and curse them because your jealous of their rain ?

Wow you're a manly man aren't you?

Where do you live in DR that's not getting rain? - because all provinces are showing good amounts last week

Chico, you'll have to point out where i have cursed anyone. .
I've insulted crappy news spin websites, and used a colloquialism to describe a sexual apparatus, of which was aimed at the editor of said website, which I've apologized for, in short I plead "not guilty" to your charge.

as far as my manly-man-ness goes, I'm neither more or less manly than any other guy you'd meet, and more to the point, just because its raining on your head, while others have to buy water, and pointing out how abundant it seems I consider bad taste in my book, but i'm a little old school, and it really doesn't matter. I do come in peace, and don't want to offend anyone, so if i have offended you, or anyone else on this forum, with any of my posts, please accept my apology.

that being said, i hope your day has plenty of sunshine, or rain, whichever is your preference.

also, i think Greta is spoiled brat too.

D

drstock

I always heard that separating your garbage before you put it out for curbside pickup was supposed to save the planet from impending doom.
I use aerosols, own two V8's, never separate trash, buy for horse-power not for economy, my heat pump in the U.S is running as we speak and Im in Santo Domingo now. I am going to hell for sure.

Congratulations. :(