The Empire Strikes Back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Migration authorities close Haitian restaurant in Santiago

James Jacques, Haitian consul in Santiago, was arrested at the scene along with dozens of Haitian citizens during an operation by the General Directorate of Migration (DGM).

Although preparations have been made to release Jacques, he refuses to go out in solidarity with his compatriots.

In a video shared by the former Haitian consul, Edwin Paraison, agents on motorcycles are seen arriving at the place, from where, according to the owner, around 52 families who were dining at the establishment were removed for no reason.
The owner of the restaurant presents in the video his legal documentation granted by the Immigration authorities.
On his side, the Haitian consul of Santiago, James Jacques, expressed his indignation at the act, which he described as abusive and reckless, carried out by agents of the General Directorate of Migration.

According to information from the DGM, they allege that they intervened the place because foreigners with irregular immigration status come to said establishment.

During the last few weeks, the Immigration authorities have strengthened the operations to arrest undocumented people in the country. Last week the General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported the arrest of 453 foreigners with irregular immigration status during an interdiction operation carried out in the National District, Santo Domingo Este and Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macorís province.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
James Jacques is no longer the Haitian Consul.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
‎After the operation carried out over the weekend by the ‎‎General Directorate of Migration (DGM)‎‎ in a Haitian restaurant to dismantle an alleged gang that trafficked passports, the acting Consul of Haiti, ‎‎James Jacques‎‎, clarified yesterday that he has no relationship with a gang of document traffickers.‎

‎"I have no relationship with a gang of document traffickers. Nor did I demand that I be handed over Mr. ‎‎Nelson Jolivain‎‎. I did not go to prevent the operation of the DGM. I went to provide consular assistance to citizens who are under my responsibilities until my successor arrives," he explained in a document sent to the media.‎

‎He recalled that he went to the restaurant after the desperate calls of his compatriots, to ensure that the authorities respected the rights of their citizens, whether natural or legal persons. ‎

‎"I was pushed by a DGM agent. The actions of this management endangered my life and that of my companions. That action is in violation ‎‎of the 1961 Vienna Convention‎‎, to which the Dominican Republic is a signatory," he said.‎

Interesting Haiti a super failed state offers it citizen consular service on demand apparently 24/7 since the incident was last Friday at around 10:30 P.M. The first country I've seen that can't even issue most of its citizen vital records, i.e., birth certificates but has consular service on demand in DR at any time even at night. Right.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"Santo Domingo.- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported that the Chancellery of the Republic of Haiti confirmed the appointment of a new head of the Consular Mission in Santiago de los Caballeros, through a diplomatic note sent to the Dominican Embassy in Port-au-Prince.

In this sense, the institution pointed out that prior to the events that occurred last Friday, that nation had decided to relieve the now outgoing consul, for which he no longer has authorization to act before the Dominican authorities, and that currently he only He is waiting for his successor to return to Haiti.

The Dominican Government expressed that it recognizes the diplomatic and consular work carried out by all the missions, provided they are duly accredited." - Google Translate

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Curious the intense interest in the Consul not the actions of DGM...

SANTO DOMINGO.- The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported this Saturday that it dismantled on Friday night a gang that trafficked in Haitian passports and visas, based on a restaurant in Santiago de los Caballeros.

He indicated that the dismantling took place during an operation in which, in addition to Immigration agents, members of the Police and the Directorate for the Control of Alcoholic Beverages (COBA) participated.

"In this operation, 21 undocumented Haitians, 15 Haitian passports, 56,500.00 Dominican pesos, 890 dollars and 4,100 Haitian gourdes were arrested," says a press release from the DGM.

"The DGM communicates that it acted within the framework of the law, in response to dozens of complaints from neighbors and citizens who denounced noise and scandals that occurred late at night in the restaurant bar and disco, called Laromate Creole", Add.

INCIDENT WITH A “CONSUL”

Passports and other allegedly forged documents seized from a gang in Santiago.
It indicates that during the operation a man named James Jacques appeared, who identified himself as the Consul General of Haiti in Santiago, demanding that Mr. Jolivan Nelson, owner of an alleged shipping house, whose 15 passports and money in the operation.

“When Mr. James Jacques was unable to fulfill his objective of freeing said man, he asked the DGM to accompany them, in order to manage the documents of some of the detainees who, according to him, had them in their homes and he was transported together with them to the Santiago Migration Reception Center, where he stayed for about two hours while he filled out documents for Haitians who were undocumented,” he adds.

He clarifies that Jacques was never arrested by Immigration, since he was not in the place, but instead intervened.

AFFIRM OPERATIVE WAS LEGAL

The DGM highlights that the operation was carried out within the framework of the Migration Regulation and Law, complying with the protocols of respect for human rights.

It reiterates that "it will not back down in the fulfillment of the duty to safeguard national sovereignty and ensure that foreigners operate within a framework of respect for the law and expel from the national territory anyone who is in a state of illegality." - Google Translate

That last paragraph outta make some DR one'ers turn flips.
Is it windy in here?
🤪

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Curious the intense interest in the Consul not the actions of DGM...
The thing is I don't find the actions of the DGM offensive. They know better now!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The thing is I don't find the actions of the DGM offensive. They know better now!
I don't find their actions offensive either.
Just interesting.
How easy would it be to goto the average construction site (owned and being developed by Dominicans) and locate illegal workers?
I imagine it would be like the scene out of the movie "The Untouchables":

Just a thought?

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Damn Negro.
They sh*tting on ya people again.
Sucks but it's their country, their rules so head down chin up or suck it up.

Both Luis and Abel have made less than flatterring comments in the past regarding Haitians so this comes as no surprise.

Notice how the local do gooder NGO's have been keeping a real low-profile since back when speaking out against immigration for picking off pregnant Haitian women at the hospitals? Them folks got the memo. Rumor has it they don't want no smoke with Team Luis.

A Haitian restaurant (although smaller) just opened on Valerio here in Santiago last week. I wonder if they'll be shut down next? I may pass by and snap a pic as I've plans to run thru the block later this afternoon and exercise my privilege.

FEEL THE RAGE!!!!
Lol...

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"Owners of the Laromate Créole restaurant in which the General Directorate of Migration carried out an operation last Friday in which several citizens of the neighboring country of Haiti were arrested, explained this Monday that the imprisoned illegals were not in their business, but that they were detained in other places where the migration units had made a previous tour in the southern area of Santiago.

They clarified that everyone who was detained in the restaurant was released hours later, including the diners, the employees, two American citizens who were there and one of the owners of the establishment.

They added that before the action of the representatives of the Dominican State they called the embassy of the sister nation to send someone and the one who appeared at the scene was the former ambassador of Haiti in the province.

They clarified that until the moment the embassy denied any relationship with the person who identified himself as the Haitian ambassador during the operation, they understood that the man was a diplomat from his country. "I called the Embassy and it was him who sent me, so I don't know what to believe if he is a consul or not," said one of the owners of the establishment.

They said that the man arrived in the consulate's vehicle and with the consulate's employees, while stressing that the immigration agents who attended the scene did not ask to see the documents of those present, but instead arrested everyone without saying a word.*

They added that the situation was due to the fact that, according to versions not confirmed by them, the National Police colonel in charge of the area has a relative who lives in front of the restaurant and this person would have been the one who called the authorities.

The owners of the restaurant gave these statements during an interview on the Despierta CDN program." - Google Translate

*emphasis mine

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
...the immigration agents who attended the scene did not ask to see the documents of those present, but instead arrested everyone without saying a word.
I'm sure this is acquire but...without saying a word??? I'm struggling with this, help me out here. Did they arrest them using sign language? Was it telepathy? The incredulity is real. Maybe smoke signals? I'm dumbfounded! #HelpaBrothaOut

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm sure this is acquire but...without saying a word??? I'm struggling with this, help me out here. Did they arrest them using sign language? Was it telepathy? The incredulity is real. Maybe smoke signals? I'm dumbfounded! #HelpaBrothaOut
There is at least one video of what took place. Lots of conversation.

Reactions: windeguy

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Clearly, they arrested a bunch of people indiscriminately, that is without asking for or accepting ID, passports, etc... only to a few hours later release them all. No illegals to be found. Now why they have to act like stormtroopers and so heavy-handedly when if they had taken a few moments to ask for proof of citizenship and legal status they could have avoided all of this negative publicity. Why is this so hard to understand without pretending to be so puzzled?

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I didn’t read that everyone was released
Just the customers
"Reading and comprehension are fundamental"

Allow me to highlight a couple of points for you...

"They clarified that everyone who was detained in the restaurant was released hours later, including the diners, the employees, two American citizens who were there and one of the owners of the establishment."

"They said that the man arrived in the consulate's vehicle and with the consulate's employees, while stressing that the immigration agents who attended the scene did not ask to see the documents of those present, but instead arrested everyone without saying a word."

• Sad
Reactions: Big

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there

Migration authorities close Haitian restaurant in Santiago​

and happy

Elsa Cesilia
June 25, 2022 at 11:38 am
Migration authorities close Haitian restaurant in Santiago

They arrest the Haitian consul in Santiago, James Jacques

Santo Domingo.- Immigration authorities closed the Haitian restaurant L'aromate creole in Santiago de los Caballeros on Friday night.
James Jacques , Haitian consul in Santiago , was arrested at the scene along with dozens of Haitian citizens during an operation by the General Directorate of Migration (DGM) .
Although preparations have been made to release Jacques, he refuses to go out in solidarity with his compatriots.
In a video shared by the former Haitian consul, Edwin Paraison, agents on motorcycles are seen arriving at the place, from where, according to the owner, around 52 families who were dining at the establishment were removed for no reason.

The owner of the restaurant presents in the video his legal documentation granted by the Immigration authorities.
Paraison describes the moment as something painful in a country that is a hospitable land with Chinese, Italian, French, Venezuelan, Colombian restaurants, among others.
On his side, the Haitian consul of Santiago, James Jacques, expressed his indignation at the act, which he described as abusive and reckless, carried out by agents of the General Directorate of Migration.
According to information from the DGM, they allege that they intervened the place because foreigners with irregular immigration status come to said establishment.
During the last few weeks, the Immigration authorities have strengthened the operations to arrest undocumented people in the country. Last week the General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported the arrest of 453 foreigners with irregular immigration status during an interdiction operation carried out in the National District, Santo Domingo Este and Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macorís province.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Clearly, they arrested a bunch of people indiscriminately, that is without asking for or accepting ID, passports, etc... only to a few hours later release them all. No illegals to be found. Now why they have to act like stormtroopers and so heavy-handedly when if they had taken a few moments to ask for proof of citizenship and legal status they could have avoided all of this negative publicity. Why is this so hard to understand without pretending to be so puzzled?
Did you missed the part that DGM has already tried it your way and as a thank you they got rocks and bottles thrown at them and chased by pleasant uninvited guest of the Dominican Republic with sticks. The DGM has the authority to detain anyone they wish to check their migratory status under Ley 285-04 and depart them swiftly.

“De igual manera, se ratifica la potestad de deportar y expulsar sumariamente* del territorio dominicano a los extranjeros indocumentados, para lo cual la Dirección General de Migración procederá de acuerdo a las estipulaciones de los artículos 119, 120 y 121 de la Ley General de Migración y en interés de la aplicación del Plan Nacional de Regularización de extranjeros radicados en el país”, explica el contenido de la propuesta.

*sumariamente (summarily) without the customary formalities.

Reactions: JD Jones

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
[snip]
They arrest the Haitian consul in Santiago, James Jacques
He is a poser and not a even an acting consul.
*Cesante means unemployed.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
"They added that the situation was due to the fact that, according to versions not confirmed by them, the National Police colonel in charge of the area has a relative who lives in front of the restaurant and this person would have been the one who called the authorities."
I'm sure that it's how they say it is but DGM sees it differently.

Please also check:

Status
Not open for further replies.