The future of Sosua

cavok

Jun 16, 2014
Boca Chica functions without tourists/mongers/sexers/warriors perfectly. Having lots of wealthy people in just 20 miles West.
BC is the nearest beach for a big city. And always will be.
Well, things must have changed since I went there becuase, back then, wealthy people from SD never went to Boca Chica. They wouldn't be caught dead there.

Reactions: drstock and Big

lifeisgreat

LIVING THE LIFE!
May 7, 2016
Sosua is in no way, shape or form like the US. In the US you can get a job tomorrow for 18 bucks an hour, even during the Corona panic attack. Try that in Sosua
Ya ok! I see your head in clouds still..25 % unemployment get a job tomorrow...

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Jul 10, 2004
I know we have been down this road, but Sosua will not be able to function w/o tourists. Not ex-pat pensioners living here pinching pennies but many many tourists spending cash. If you want to refer to them as "mongers" , "weekend warriors" , "jet blue crowd" whatever. With out them Sosua will suffer a flight, which it has already started anyway.
Then the flight from Sosua and the north coast in general will continue. Tourism is not going to come back strong to the north coast any time soon. That was true before CV-19.

windeguy

Jul 10, 2004
Boca Chica functions without tourists/mongers/sexers/warriors perfectly. Having lots of wealthy people in just 20 miles West.
Being close to Santo Domingo certainly provides Boca Chica with more business opportunities than Sosua. Sosua's opportunities have never been less than now. At least there is no way to go but up... (Not that I believe that up is a real possibility at this time.)

Reactions: Caonabo

drstock

Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Are you talking about the Boca Chica I know - the one in the Dominican Republic? It's hard to recognise from your description.

Caonabo

ABINADER 2020
Sep 27, 2017
Well, things must have changed since I went there becuase, back then, wealthy people from SD never went to Boca Chica. They wouldn't be caught dead there.
i do not know this Boca Chica you speak of ...lots of wealthy people ?
Are you talking about the Boca Chica I know - the one in the Dominican Republic? It's hard to recognise from your description.
While it is agreed that most persons from Santo Domingo who possess higher economic means would not choose Boca Chica as their #1 location for beach type activities, this same group has no issue at all frequenting the higher end restaurants located there.
The names and locations of these establishments have been mentioned previously within the proper Boca Chica thread line.

NanSanPedro

Apr 12, 2019
Can't tell you about wealthy people, but people do come here from SD.

About a month or 2 ago a group of Dominicanos in an SUV were lost in Andres trying to get Boca Chica. In my sucky Spanish I gave them directions. My son (who is fluent in Spanish) thinks I probably led them to Hato Mayor. Hopefully they made it back ok.

cavok

Jun 16, 2014
While it is agreed that most persons from Santo Domingo who possess higher economic means would not choose Boca Chica as their #1 location for beach type activities, this same group has no issue at all frequenting the higher end restaurants located there.
The names and locations of these establishments have been mentioned previously within the proper Boca Chica thread line.
I know the restaurants you're talking about and I agree. Other than maybe two or three restaurants, you didn't see them hanging out in Boca Chica. Some stayed at Coral Hamaca, but they weren't out and about town day or night chasing chicas.

etolw

Oct 6, 2018
Interesting story Playa Alicia, the Miracle Beach.

Only cliffs there before, suddenly mother nature formed a beach.

Miracle Beach is a nickname well deserved, if a bit exaggerated.

While known for its shark sightings due to the trash being dumped here in the 80s (yes, sharks can be the ocean’s raccoons), it was also a popular cliff diving spot. In addition to that, the Waterfront restaurant sat on top of the cliff, with caves running through the cliff. Waves would crash into the cliff side, burst through the caves underneath and a geyser of water would explode out of a hole in the ground. This was a minor tourist attraction for the visitors of the restaurant.

Then in 2003 literally overnight sand washed into the cliff through natural beach nourishment . Over the next few months and years the beach grew and is now one of the nicest and popular beaches in Sosua. On the other hand, the Casa Marina beach next door has strangely shrunk…

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Ya ok! I see your head in clouds still..25 % unemployment get a job tomorrow...
If someone in the US wants a job there are plenty, if you are a non ambitious slug stay at home and play video games. Sosua has few options, however the island has plenty

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Members of the government. Generals. Movie and modelling stars, famous bachateros, etc. Seen here on a regular basis. East of Hamaca of course. Never seen even a single one in Sosua.

Garyexpat

Sep 7, 2012
Members of the government. Generals. Movie and modelling stars, famous bachateros, etc. Seen here on a regular basis. East of Hamaca of course. Never seen even a single one in Sosua.
I assume you are talking about Boca Marina and/or Neptune. Yes high end clientele from the capital frequent those places however I would hardly consider 2 (or maybe more) restaurants to BE Boca Chica in general.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I assume you are talking about Boca Marina and/or Neptune. Yes high end clientele from the capital frequent those places however I would hardly consider 2 (or maybe more) restaurants to BE Boca Chica in general.
Correct. I am talking about nice clean decent part of BC. And about decent people. Not about a seedy ghetto.

• Haha
Reactions: El Rey de Mangu