The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua really isn't open yet, the hotels are closed, Bailees is closed, many of the homes and condos not occupied by their owners, etc. I don't expect the town will really start opening until sometime in the fall in anticipation of the winter season.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
How many tourists come is wholly dependent on local infection rates, and whether the airlines reliably deliver and pick up people from Puerto Plata airport. Few but the most dedicated will fly into Punta Canada and then transit across the island to get to Sosua. Being able to easily come and go is of the utmost impotence and being able to return home without arduous isolation restrictions is a very close second.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How many tourists come is wholly dependent on local infection rates, and whether the airlines reliably deliver and pick up people from Puerto Plata airport. Few but the most dedicated will fly into Punta Canada and then transit across the island to get to Sosua. Being able to easily come and go is of the utmost impotence and being able to return home without arduous isolation restrictions is a very close second.

Impotence might hinder an excursion to Sosua from Punta Canada.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some still just come to escape a cold winter in Canada. Lots of English speaking expats in the area is bit of a draw for some. Not everyone's primary consideration is between their legs.

Reactions: CristoRey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Cab was a major disappointment for me. The main drag is smelly and always littered. Cabarete bay is one of the most polluted bodies of water I've ever swam in. The food is at best, meh. Gross, agressive shirtless and shoeless folks sifting through the produce at Janet's. Worst garbage collection in the country. Overcharged rental properties in the name of surfs up bruh. Actually if I had known, I would have chosen Sosua. Too late now! Cheers, Cab
I am sure that those of us who continue to enjoy living in Cabarete will manage without you. What a shame you didn't check that Cabarete was right for you before you came. By the way, there are so many restaurants in Cabarete that you shouldn't judge them all as "meh". I could introduce you to some very good ones, but maybe my taste isn't the same as yours. Cheers!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Went to Caberete yesterday and enjoyed the new paving. Nice. (Couldn't leave Cab. fast enough.)
I go to Cabarete for only 3 things, an occasional nice meal and plumbing fittings or ferreteria shopping
Every time I am there I am ready to leave.
Parking is horrible, the main street so congested at times it is impassible and there are a cadre of moto-boys who like to drink from mid-morning (and don't hide it) and ride around on drunk on their Chinese motos like they are the next GP racer.

Cabarete may be great for wind surfing but the town doesn't seem to have any soul, class , panache or a real-person vibe.
Yes others love it, but I really can't understand why.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The phrase "whore mongering" seems to stimulate you most, as indicated by your frequent use!
Why not worry about the decline of Cabarete, as indicated in recent years?
Whore mongers (aka "The Saviours of Sosua") provoke far more stimulating discourse than anything that ever happens in Cabarete.

Cabarete has had some very corrupt mayors since I have lived here, millions have been embezzled. Communities built and continuing to be expanded that are on protected wetlands - think La Cienaga where the land was filled in and titles given by the former mayor. Beaches appropriated - think Encuentro. Environmental disasters such as the Marriott construction at La Boca and Lifestyles in Cabarete Center. All of that doesn't generate nearly the interest for some reason. You post is an example.

Also, keep in mind, when people say Cabarete, they tend to think of the area of town where the beach is. Cabarete runs from La Boca up until past CMC before you hit the east end of Sosua near Super Pola. Super Pola might actually be in Cabarete, I am not sure on that point. Not only are Callejon de la Loma, Barrio Blano and La Cienaga in Cabarete, but so are Casa Linda, Sea Horse Ranch, Haciendas El Choco, ProCab, Costa Azul, Perla Marina and even Sosua Ocean Village are in Cabarete. That strip of beach bars is just as much "Cabarete" as that small section of Pedro Clisante is "Sosua", but what discussions that little strip of street brings on.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The future of Sosua isn't tourism for certain this year.
I had a friend planning a trip for September. I convinced him to forget about it, as the DR government and its toque de queda makes for a bad vacation and who knows when it will be permanently lifted and not reimposed.
And who wants to go on vacation to go to the beach with a mask ?

Certainly people plan their vacations, coordinating school breaks, friends, family and employer's schedules.
Since it isn't foreseeable what DR will be like this 2020 winter (but certainly it will not be 'unrestricted'), I think most people should forgo planning a trip this year and into spring of 2021.
Better wait until fall/winter 2021 - probably not what those who depend on tourist like to hear but better than having people come and have a bad time and go back to bad mouth the North Coast.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Tr
Whore mongers (aka "The Saviours of Sosua") provoke far more stimulating discourse than anything that ever happens in Cabarete.

Cabarete has had some very corrupt mayors since I have lived here, millions have been embezzled. Communities built and continuing to be expanded that are on protected wetlands - think La Cienaga where the land was filled in and titles given by the former mayor. Beaches appropriated - think Encuentro. Environmental disasters such as the Marriott construction at La Boca and Lifestyles in Cabarete Center. All of that doesn't generate nearly the interest for some reason. You post is an example.

Also, keep in mind, when people say Cabarete, they tend to think of the area of town where the beach is. Cabarete runs from La Boca up until past CMC before you hit the east end of Sosua near Super Pola. Super Pola might actually be in Cabarete, I am not sure on that point. Not only are Callejon de la Loma, Barrio Blano and La Cienaga in Cabarete, but so are Casa Linda, Sea Horse Ranch, Haciendas El Choco, ProCab, Costa Azul, Perla Marina and even Sosua Ocean Village are in Cabarete. That strip of beach bars is just as much "Cabarete" as that small section of Pedro Clisante is "Sosua", but what discussions that little strip of street brings on.
True but most people don't consider Cabarete starting until someways after Encuentro, certainly the Sea Horse Ranch, Lomas Mironas and even Perla Marina folks identify more as Sosua residents than Cabarete.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sure that those of us who continue to enjoy living in Cabarete will manage without you. What a shame you didn't check that Cabarete was right for you before you came. By the way, there are so many restaurants in Cabarete that you shouldn't judge them all as "meh". I could introduce you to some very good ones, but maybe my taste isn't the same as yours. Cheers!
Some people just can't see the forest for the whores.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When presented with conflicting information, you should resort to using common sense. In reality, there are so many variables involved that both sides can be right at the same time.

If and when the Ritz is built, it will also see a certain amount of pay for play.
Both sides can only be right if the details are well understood as to what makes them both right under very specific circumstances.

I cannot predict the future of putting on the Ritz.

I have little doubt that a "Jeffrey Epstein" type could bring in underage hookers in fluorescent spandex to the Ritz Carlton in just about any location of the world,
but that hardly makes it the "norm".

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Sosua really isn't open yet, the hotels are closed, Bailees is closed, many of the homes and condos not occupied by their owners, etc. I don't expect the town will really start opening until sometime in the fall in anticipation of the winter season.

FYI, although Bailee is closed the hotel above, Sosua Inn; is open and so are several others (Casa Valeria, Sosua by the Sea, New Garden etc.). Same with the Restaurants... To say Sosua is not open yet is not correct!

Reactions: Garyexpat

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Some still just come to escape a cold winter in Canada. Lots of English speaking expats in the area is bit of a draw for some. Not everyone's primary consideration is between their legs.
I've met those dudes .... They were showing some young ladies how to use their different and expensive Golf Clubs at the New Garden Pool Side ...
Definitely not there for anything but 18 Holes of "Golf"

• Haha
Reactions: Garyexpat

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Reminds one of speakeasies during prohibition, does it not? When there is a will, there is a way.
Windy, I have a better example. Like playing Russian roulette and the one bullet didn't fire during the day and you want to continue playing .

Sep 22, 2009
A few food eats yes. That doesn't change my take. We had to relocate to Cab for a while for personal reasons. The water is still horrifically polluted. Sorry you get so bothered by others opinion. Surely you can't expect everyone to fall in line with you and Winded. Surely folks looking at Cab may want another perspective.

Make it a great day!

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Tr

True but most people don't consider Cabarete starting until someways after Encuentro, certainly the Sea Horse Ranch, Lomas Mironas and even Perla Marina folks identify more as Sosua residents than Cabarete.
People "identify" with and as a lot of things these days, don't they? It doesn't mean they are correct.
If most people use those boundaries, then most people are wrong.

I prefer to identify facts and I posted what I understand to be facts about those locations.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
People "identify" with and as a lot of things these days, don't they? It doesn't mean they are correct.
If most people use those boundaries, then most people are wrong.

I prefer to identify facts and I posted what I understand to be facts about those locations.
I am still having a hard time understanding how Sosua has 50,000 people when it looks and feels the same size as my home town of 7000 people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am still having a hard time understanding how Sosua has 50,000 people when it looks and feels the same size as my home town of 7000 people.
Perhaps that is because you are only ever on one or two streets in Sosua? Just like people identify Cabarete as just the beach area when it stretches for the distance I indicated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.