The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Yep. Big sure is right. They support the 50,000 people that live in Sosua with just those that arrive on JetBue. They truly are Saviours with some biblical abilities. Miraculous, they are.
Its called expendable income. They come on every air carrier from every city. They are patrons in every bar and restaurant in Sosua proper. As distasteful as the concept of "pay for play" is for you, its not leaving anytime soon from Sosua.

Reactions: jd426

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Yep. Big sure is right. They support the 50,000 people that live in Sosua with just those that arrive on JetBue. They truly are Saviours with some biblical abilities. Miraculous, they are.

There was a time a few years back when there were enough tourists to support the town...not now. I would hazard to guess...never again.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
For once I agree with Big on this one. I see the guys who come down for a weekend or a week spending a lot while they're in town. The older guys who have been living there for years tend to be very frugal.
What I see is about a 50/50 mix with the Jetblue crew,I spent a lot of time hanging at the old Midtown restaurant and bar and the crews that rolled into the Las Palmeras hotel were the cheapest guys you can imagine,the stories are endless. Guys would go to a pico pollo place and then come over to Midtown asking to have their food reheated,borrowing utensils etc,cups of ice you name it. Then there is a friend of mine that owns a really tricked out villa set up just for the other half of the crew and he is booked solid even during low season,these guys roll in and hire private chefs and party like no tomorrow throwing money around like drunken sailors.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Sorry bro, not a tourist,I live in a town you have never heard of. I visit and enjoy Sosua for what it is. As far as "ignorance" I would say that describes the people that are angry at the "pay for play" that dominates Sosua proper. One misguided poster even brings his nuclear family into a hooker bar, truly bizarre.
I am not your Bro,and please do tell,of this town that i have never heard of?

Reactions: Michael DR

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, the town is gone now because of this? All 50 to 60 thousand people just disappeared?

Not gone, just suffering and closing. The town will just have to rely on other aspects of the economy now that tourism is depressed so badly. All I was saying is that a few years back, the town was booming as far a tourism goes, the government has made a concerted effort to rid the town of tourism. Sosua will survive but it will be different. I have family members that were always gainfully employed, not so much anymore.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not gone, just suffering and closing. The town will just have to rely on other aspects of the economy now that tourism is depressed so badly. All I was saying is that a few years back, the town was booming as far a tourism goes, the government has made a concerted effort to rid the town of tourism. Sosua will survive but it will be different. I have family members that were always gainfully employed, not so much anymore.
Not true. There was a concerted effort, well maybe concerted is an exaggeration, but at least some effort was made to remove the stigma of sex tourism. Not tourism. Huge difference that some here don't seem they will ever understand.

Any place relying on tourism is going to suffer for a while until whatever governments are doing regarding CV19 eventually stops. Could be a while.

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

The government has not made a concerted effort to rid the town of tourism.
It has made a concerted effort to rid the town of whore mongers, for the quality of life of all within the municipality.
If the family members were gainfully employed in touristic endeavours, they will prove to be fine in time. If they were employed in other avenues, I do not know.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Not true. There was a concerted effort, well maybe concerted is an exaggeration, but at least some effort was made to remove the stigma of sex tourism. Not tourism. Huge difference that some here don't seem they will ever understand.

In their vigor to rid the town of such tourists, they have killed so called normal tourism at the same time. Sosua is a ghost of itself as far as visitors go.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The government has not made a concerted effort to rid the town of tourism.
It has made a concerted effort to rid the town of whore mongers, for the quality of life of all within the municipality.
If the family members were gainfully employed in touristic endeavours, they will prove to be fine in time. If they were employed in other avenues, I do not know.

In time is no good when you need to put food on your table today.

Reactions: jd426

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
In time is no good when you need to put food on your table today.

I do not believe anybody could have predicted these ridiculous Covid solution remedies provided within the last six months. For this, you are correct.
As well, relying on sex tourism to sustain your living is not sound long term financial advice. Short term, possibly? Long term no.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I do not believe anybody could have predicted these ridiculous Covid solution remedies provided within the last six months. For this, you are correct.
As well, relying on sex tourism to sustain your living is not sound long term financial advice. Short term, possibly? Long term no.

It's been a problem from before Covid...Covid made it worse. Working in restaurants and cleaning hotel rooms in relying on Sex tourism?

For them it has become clear, it is time to move away from tourism and find work elsewhere.

It's been tough for them, first moved out of El Tablon and now no work.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It's been a problem from before Covid...Covid made it worse. Working in restaurants and cleaning hotel rooms in relying on Sex tourism?

For them it has become clear, it is time to move away from tourism and find work elsewhere.

It's been tough for them, first moved out of El Tablon and now no work.

If working in restaurants and cleaning hotel rooms geared toward sex tourists, then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.