The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Airlines are blocking off the middle seats to provide "safe distancing", so they won't be able to fly the same number of passengers as they were before. They need a load factor in the 70's just to break even. It seems to me they'll have no choice but to raise fares. Passengers are now going to be required to wear masks. How are you going to be able to eat your bag of pretzels and drink a soda with a mask on?

I see the coming high season worse than last year which wasn't very good.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Airlines are blocking off the middle seats to provide "safe distancing", so they won't be able to fly the same number of passengers as they were before. They need a load factor in the 70's just to break even. It seems to me they'll have no choice but to raise fares. Passengers are now going to be required to wear masks. How are you going to be able to eat your bag of pretzels and drink a soda with a mask on?

I see the coming high season worse than last year which wasn't very good.

Bag of pretzels, or Terra Blues?
Will gloves be required to be worn when using the restrooms? What of those that prefer to remove their shoes in-flight, without socks on?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why New York? Because of the many Dominicanos?
The Dominican Government doesn't have a clue how to
properly manage anything. They seem to think New York,
which could easily be its own country, is America. Laughable.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I know a few guys who own small businesses in DR, and others who rent properties. Some do business as a fun hobby in semi-retirement, others depend on it for their livelihood. All think that 2020 will be a wash for them, and have no expectation of a return to whatever the new normal is anytime soon.

Some are looking for opportunities to acquire land and/or businesses for cheap when the time comes. Personally, I think expat properties may go on sale, but local-owned units, not so much (as they're often paid off, making it easier to sit on a vacant property.)

The problem is that the majority of DR's North Coast visitors are tethered to linear income, meaning their livelihoods are connected to a job, or some sort of retirement or disability benefit. Regardless of what the stock market does, NA and EU are both heading into a difficult time where discretionary/vacation income will be relatively scarce. Combine that with the very reasonable likelihood of a second wave, and a slow restart in DR regardless, and who knows....

I admire my friends' optimism, but wonder where things will be by the end of next year. For those doing it for fun, they should experience virtually no changes; the others may have a difficult time ahead of them.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The Dominican Government doesn't have a clue how to
properly manage anything. They seem to think New York,
which could easily be its own country, is America. Laughable.

While I tend to agree with the substance of your assertion, which model would you prefer the RD government choose to follow? Our neighbors to the west, Haiti and Cuba? Or to the east in Puerto Rico? Perhaps our southern neighbors in Venezuela, Brazil, or Argentina?
Again, I understand your position, but am only considering which superior model there is to choose from. Perhaps this should be geared towards another thread line, so as not to distract from the blossoming flower that is Sosua.

Reactions: Big

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The day they initiate step one, it will be like the big stores opening their doors on Black Friday. Business as usual from that day forward.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does it not exist already in the form of ITBIS?
Nah, Dominican taxes are not progressive as in the USA. It's the poor who pays a greater share of their income in taxes than does the rich and well-to-do, including most DR1ers that live part or full time in the DR. Taxes that would hit hard the pockets of the people with means are either on the floor (such as property tax) or very low. Everyone pays the flat fee ITBIS everytime they buy something, except a few items which are exempt. That tax is actually the greatest contributor to the money that makes it to the government via tax collection. Because it's a flat fee applied equally to all, it takes a bigger bite off the income of the poor than it does on those with money.

Plus, anyone that qualifies for Dominican income tax, after all deductions are made before they are paid, they still take home a greater share of their checks than do their equivalent in the USA. Probably it also is the case when compared to the rest of Latin America, since the DR has one of the lowest tax weight on incomes in the entire region, in fact its almost one of the lowest in the entire hemisphere.

In the USA it's those with money who pays a greater share of the tax collected.

Reactions: malko and alexw

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nah, Dominican taxes are not progressive as in the USA. It's the poor who pays a greater share of their income in taxes than does the rich and well-to-do, including most DR1ers that live part or full time in the DR. Taxes that would hit hard the pockets of the people with means are either on the floor (such as property tax) or very low. Everyone pays the flat fee ITBIS everytime they buy something, except a few items which are exempt. That tax is actually the greatest contributor to the money that makes it to the government via tax collection. Because it's a flat fee applied equally to all, it takes a bigger bite off the income of the poor than it does on those with money.

Plus, anyone that qualifies for Dominican income tax, after all deductions are made before they are paid, they still take home a greater share of their checks than do their equivalent in the USA. Probably it also is the case when compared to the rest of Latin America, since the DR has one of the lowest tax weight on incomes in the entire region, in fact its almost one of the lowest in the entire hemisphere.

What about corporate taxes? How do they compare with USA, Canada, and Europe?

Sep 22, 2009
Limited resources? No.
Extremely mismanaged resources. Yes.

Question:
What do you think this PLD Admin is going
to do with 650 million dollar loan they just
recieved from the IMF?
domino.png

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020

Corporate income tax in the DR is 27% off the top of gross income. Personal is 26%. It is very similar to the US as an overall percentage.

Real reduction compared to the US only happens at very high income levels...in the over 400K per annum range.

At lower income levels it is a wash after you file your FEI deducts.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
New Broom sweeps clean.

Sosua is looking squeaky clean with Willy's workers doing a great job.
I've not seen it that tidy before.
Let's hope they can put a regular cleaning roster system in place and it's not just a flash in the pan to impress the locals.

One is allowed to dream, no?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
New Broom sweeps clean.

Sosua is looking squeaky clean with Willy's workers doing a great job.
I've not seen it that tidy before.
Let's hope they can put a regular cleaning roster system in place and it's not just a flash in the pan to impress the locals.

One is allowed to dream, no?

Actually, let's hope people stop throwing garbage everywhere. Then we won't need a cleaning crew.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Start the bulldozers up head towards Sosua..........Time to start over again ... restart the process...

Status
Not open for further replies.