The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I have no idea as I am a poor man. I am not saying the owner do not have the right to do what they deem best for the beach...I am just saying that it would be a disaster to make Sosua beach just like every other beach that becomes inaccessible to the locals and undesirable to visit. It always has been my favorite part of Sosua which I visit every day when there. I have had it happen to other beaches I have frequented over the years in the Caribbean. It is always a shame when people lose a beach.

The funny thing is, I have always thought the restaurants have become much cleaner and of better quality over the past 15 years. Yes, washroom facilities have always been an issue.
If you seen 1/2 the kitchens restaurants you would never eat in them..

Reactions: ramesses

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
If you seen 1/2 the kitchens restaurants you would never eat in them..

I eat in a few, I have seen the kitchens. Yes, there are some on the beach that are dubious. Never been sick from the beach food in almost 20 years. It's more than I can say about some of the regular restaurants in town.

I eat on the beach most days I am in Sosua. I am only reporting my personal experiences.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Don't forget bingo and pub trivia!
Let him RIP, but when I saw that first time I was like " if this is what you need to do to keep your BAR/ Restaurant afloat .... maybe you are doing it wrong " ....
Call me crazy , but I thought people went for FOOD, Drink, and perhaps a Screen to watch a game .
or maybe Expats in Sosua really are that Bored ( or boring) , who knows ........ But a Bingo night ? on Pedro Clisante ? ... its like something you should only see on the Twilight zone ... which Ironically enough is exactly where we are at right now ..

Reactions: cavok and Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Shirley you can't be serious. I agree it might not be anytime soon. But do you really think a Mayor would try to stop a mult imillion dollar project on private property?
For starters, they couldn't. But why would they even try? Because some gringos think the squatter shacks are quaint?
Do I think a Mayor would try to stop a multi-million dollar project on private property? No, I do not. Where on earth
did you come up with this idea?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Let him RIP, but when I saw that first time I was like " if this is what you need to do to keep your BAR/ Restaurant afloat .... maybe you are doing it wrong " ....
Call me crazy , but I thought people went for FOOD, Drink, and perhaps a Screen to watch a game .
or maybe Expats in Sosua really are that Bored ( or boring) , who knows ........ But a Bingo night ? on Pedro Clisante ? ... its like something you should only see on the Twilight zone ... which Ironically enough is exactly where we are at right now ..
If people enjoy playing bingo on Pedro Clisante, who are we to criticise them?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Do I think a Mayor would try to stop a multi-million dollar project on private property? No, I do not. Where on earth
did you come up with this idea?

From your post, you said: Now that Willy is Mayor, no changes on the Beach (paraphrased).

If I misinterpreted, my apologies.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Check out a news post I just made about POP airport and how it may not reopen to tourists until 2021.

Reactions: Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
From your post, you said: Now that Willy is Mayor, no changes on the Beach (paraphrased).

If I misinterpreted, my apologies.
No worries. I misinterprete things constantly,
usually after my third glass. Cheers.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
10 years ago that would have been great. But it's now an open sewer in behind the vendor shacks. The only fix is to level it, dig out the toxic waste, and start over with new 12 story buildings.

Weren't you looking to down size? There will be great views!

Considering that there is a pandemic and tourism is dead right now and will be severely reduced for at least the next two years,
The question is,
How much will this condo/hotel development cost?
Who will be the investor in this business climate?
Where from and when will clients come, to make this business venture cost effective?

Reactions: pokerplayer

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Considering that there is a pandemic and tourism is dead right now and will be severely reduced for at least the next two years,
The question is,
Where from and when will clients come, to make this business venture cost effective?

I'll start by saying I have no idea who if any investment group would touch Sosua right now...

I do know that in 1990, IGY Marinas was looking hard at Sosua and in negotiations with the government. The sticking points were the kiosks on the beach, and that the DR Govt. wanted IGY to build a new sewage treatment facility on on their dime.. This was right after they finished Blue Haven Marina on Provo.

If IGY or any other hospitality investor was to build anything in Sosua, they wouldn't be worrying about where their clients would be coming from because they would be built in.. Companies like Four Seasons, Starwood Resorts, Viceroy and many others vacation conglomerates already have their client base built in. They can care less if people call to book. What's important is the different destinations they have available for their "Vacation Ownership" clients. Many little islands with less than half of the tourism draw of the DR have these very expensive resorts on them and are booked all of the time. The more properties they own, the more memberships they can "sell" and that's where their clients come from.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The question is,

I'm assuming your questions are rhetorical?

Like any large project, they'll adjust to the market. But considering it will take several years to complete the build out anyways, the pandemic may hardly
effect the schedule.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I'll start by saying I have no idea who if any investment group would touch Sosua right now...

I do know that in 1990, IGY Marinas was looking hard at Sosua and in negotiations with the government. The sticking points were the kiosks on the beach, and that the DR Govt. wanted IGY to build a new sewage treatment facility on on their dime.. This was right after they finished Blue Haven Marina on Provo.

If IGY or any other hospitality investor was to build anything in Sosua, they wouldn't be worrying about where their clients would be coming from because they would be built in.. Companies like Four Seasons, Starwood Resorts, Viceroy and many others vacation conglomerates already have their client base built in. They can care less if people call to book. What's important is the different destinations they have available for their "Vacation Ownership" clients. Many little islands with less than half of the tourism draw of the DR have these very expensive resorts on them and are booked all of the time. The more properties they own, the more memberships they can "sell" and that's where their clients come from.
for Sosua to advance they need an updated or new sewage system. I like the town but not so much the smell of sewage after a rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.