The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
for Sosua to advance they need an updated or new sewage system. I like the town but not so much the smell of sewage after a rain.

Upgrading the sewage system itself is doable. Tankage and air.. Not rocket science.. Problem with Sosewer as I like to call it is the infrastructure. It's beat and installing a new one complete comes with numerous engineering challenges. Whomever takes on this project we will be floating a lot of long term bonds because it's not going to be cheap..

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The project at the beach is large enough to warrant it's own wastewater treatment plant. I've seen projects as small as 30 residential units having their own treatment plant. A treatment plant at the beach location wouldn't solve the towns current treatment issues, but it would certainly help clear the air at the beach.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
The project at the beach is large enough to warrant it's own wastewater treatment plant. I've seen projects as small as 30 residential units having their own treatment plant. A treatment plant at the beach location wouldn't solve the towns current treatment issues, but it would certainly help clear the air at the beach.

Other than a zero discharge Membrane Bio-Reactor plant which is very expensive to buy, install, and operate, any sewage plant installed on the beach will still discharge sewage effluent into the ocean which is unacceptable. BTW, the Carnival project in Maimon was required to install an MBR plant.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Other than a zero discharge Membrane Bio-Reactor plant which is very expensive to buy, install, and operate, any sewage plant installed on the beach will still discharge sewage effluent into the ocean which is unacceptable. BTW, the Carnival project in Maimon was required to install an MBR plant.
I have often wondered how much if any sewage makes it into Sosua Bay or the Beach in Cabarete. They often do bacteria readings on the beaches in the U.S. Most of the U.S beaches have gotten better. I can remember though the N.J beach's were haveing a problem many years ago with medical waste like syringes washing up on the beach. Crushed an entire season for the Jersey shore.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'll start by saying I have no idea who if any investment group would touch Sosua right now...

I do know that in 1990, IGY Marinas was looking hard at Sosua and in negotiations with the government. The sticking points were the kiosks on the beach, and that the DR Govt. wanted IGY to build a new sewage treatment facility on on their dime.. This was right after they finished Blue Haven Marina on Provo.

If IGY or any other hospitality investor was to build anything in Sosua, they wouldn't be worrying about where their clients would be coming from because they would be built in.. Companies like Four Seasons, Starwood Resorts, Viceroy and many others vacation conglomerates already have their client base built in. They can care less if people call to book. What's important is the different destinations they have available for their "Vacation Ownership" clients. Many little islands with less than half of the tourism draw of the DR have these very expensive resorts on them and are booked all of the time. The more properties they own, the more memberships they can "sell" and that's where their clients come from.
Exactly. And there are also some businesses that cater to people at a level most of us never see. A couple of those businesses already exist in the DR, and one seems to have issues getting built in Cabarete. Those with "built in" clientele. A good way to put it. Vacation ownerships and special vacations for the 1%ers.

The people that own the land behind Sosua beach will eventually decide what to do. CV-19 has a lot of people doing that right now.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

True, and an MBR has a small footprint. But the beach project includes land on the other side of Rt 5 going up the hill. So plenty of room on the opposite side of the road to put in a system and not be close to the water. And I'm not sure they're even putting in a plant dedicated to that project, I was just speculating. They may be planning on pumping it elsewhere.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I have often wondered how much if any sewage makes it into Sosua Bay or the Beach in Cabarete. They often do bacteria readings on the beaches in the U.S. Most of the U.S beaches have gotten better. I can remember though the N.J beach's were haveing a problem many years ago with medical waste like syringes washing up on the beach. Crushed an entire season for the Jersey shore.
After many days of steady rain, all the beaches on the north coast aren't fit for swimming. No need for bacteria readings as your nose will tell all you need to know.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
After many days of steady rain, all the beaches on the north coast aren't fit for swimming. No need for bacteria readings as your nose will tell all you need to know.

You don't even need a rain in Sosua. The beach Squatter Village has open sewers, and there's some Charimico's houses that dump directly into the bay. I haven't been in the water there since I had a condom float by me. I hate it when that happens.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
You don't even need a rain in Sosua. The beach Squatter Village has open sewers, and there's some Charimico's houses that dump directly into the bay. I haven't been in the water there since I had a condom float by me. I hate it when that happens.
OMG !! and the environmental-nazis always give me a hard time for feeding the fish with bread crumbs when I am snorkeling by the reef

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

I never have or ever will swim off the beach of Sosua because I know what goes on with the sewage every time it rains there and that they don't test $hit here.. Pun intended. Out at anchorage is a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Caonabo

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Ah yes, nothing says Sosua like the smell
of raw sewage. I must admit I do miss the
drunk gimps and spandex queens of PC.

I love the smell of "sewage" in the morning, it smells of victory

:unsure:You love the Sosua smell but not the Sosua party zone...:ROFLMAO:

I don't even know what a "street party" is nor would I participate. Then again, I don't wear baseball caps backwards, fake gold chains with a New York Yankees medallion and dine out of Styrofoam containers

Sosua has potential, love dining there and the view of Playa Alicia.
When I want a change from Cabarete, Sosua is an option.
Many, many years ago when the Sosua was packed with crazy nightlife, that was also quite a show.

Last time I drove around there (after the lockdown) I felt nervous outside the main center. Felt the pain from people who had lost their income.
As if I was a walking ATM

Reactions: Big and CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
:unsure:You love the Sosua smell but not the Sosua party zone...:ROFLMAO:

Sosua has potential, love dining there and the view of Playa Alicia.
When I want a change from Cabarete, Sosua is an option.
Many, many years ago when the Sosua was packed with crazy nightlife, that was also quite a show.

Last time I drove around there (after the lockdown) I felt nervous outside the main center. Felt the pain from people who had lost their income.
As if I was a walking ATM
Sadly, I would agree.
You are a walking ATM.
Never hurts to trust the gut.

Reactions: etolw

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Seriously? Dominicanos o Americanos?
no joke!! He is a European guy that does tours, swam up to me twice. I take a plastic bottle filled with bread crumbs and water, when you squirt a little out countless fish show up. Its common practice. He told me it was affecting the ecobalance of the whole reef. You would have thought I was dumping fuel oil and hydraulic fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.