The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To survive and prosper Sosua should try to be like Boca Chica. Time has proven it abundantly.
I was in Boca Chica once many years ago. Never had a desire to return.

What did Boca Chica do that Sosua should emulate?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I know we have been down this road, but Sosua will not be able to function w/o tourists. Not ex-pat pensioners living here pinching pennies but many many tourists spending cash. If you want to refer to them as "mongers" , "weekend warriors" , "jet blue crowd" whatever. With out them Sosua will suffer a flight, which it has already started anyway.

Reactions: jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Absolutely agreed. As I have posted myself, I like going to Sosua beaches.

You find that a lot of sand has appeared at Playa Alicia. Maybe that is part of the answer. Also the new artificial beach under construction nearby.
But it is hope, lot of sand has been dumped by prevailing currents at Playa Cabarete recently, maybe because Rio Yasica once more had water after heavy rain last year. Cabarete also lost a lot of sand during the last years.

Playa Alicia has awesome views. Need to go to Samana for something similar
Agreed. Took these pics 2 weeks. We
were asked to leave by Cestur 5 min after.
Right now you can get more than that just to sit home. Why work?
Still no "cancel" tab -
DELETED

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I know we have been down this road, but Sosua will not be able to function w/o tourists. Not ex-pat pensioners living here pinching pennies but many many tourists spending cash. If you want to refer to them as "mongers" , "weekend warriors" , "jet blue crowd" whatever. With out them Sosua will suffer a flight, which it has already started anyway.
Boca Chica functions without tourists/mongers/sexers/warriors perfectly. Having lots of wealthy people in just 20 miles West.
BC is the nearest beach for a big city. And always will be.

Sep 22, 2009
Boca Chica functions without tourists/mongers/sexers/warriors perfectly. Having lots of wealthy people in just 20 miles West.
Como dice el refrán: A falta de pan, Boca Chica.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well, things must have changed since I went there becuase, back then, wealthy people from SD never went to Boca Chica. They wouldn't be caught dead there.

Reactions: drstock and Big

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sosua is in no way, shape or form like the US. In the US you can get a job tomorrow for 18 bucks an hour, even during the Corona panic attack. Try that in Sosua
Ya ok! I see your head in clouds still..25 % unemployment get a job tomorrow...

Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then the flight from Sosua and the north coast in general will continue. Tourism is not going to come back strong to the north coast any time soon. That was true before CV-19.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Being close to Santo Domingo certainly provides Boca Chica with more business opportunities than Sosua. Sosua's opportunities have never been less than now. At least there is no way to go but up... (Not that I believe that up is a real possibility at this time.)

Reactions: Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Well, things must have changed since I went there becuase, back then, wealthy people from SD never went to Boca Chica. They wouldn't be caught dead there.
i do not know this Boca Chica you speak of ...lots of wealthy people ?
Are you talking about the Boca Chica I know - the one in the Dominican Republic? It's hard to recognise from your description.

While it is agreed that most persons from Santo Domingo who possess higher economic means would not choose Boca Chica as their #1 location for beach type activities, this same group has no issue at all frequenting the higher end restaurants located there.
The names and locations of these establishments have been mentioned previously within the proper Boca Chica thread line.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Can't tell you about wealthy people, but people do come here from SD.

About a month or 2 ago a group of Dominicanos in an SUV were lost in Andres trying to get Boca Chica. In my sucky Spanish I gave them directions. My son (who is fluent in Spanish) thinks I probably led them to Hato Mayor. Hopefully they made it back ok.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
While it is agreed that most persons from Santo Domingo who possess higher economic means would not choose Boca Chica as their #1 location for beach type activities, this same group has no issue at all frequenting the higher end restaurants located there.
The names and locations of these establishments have been mentioned previously within the proper Boca Chica thread line.
I know the restaurants you're talking about and I agree. Other than maybe two or three restaurants, you didn't see them hanging out in Boca Chica. Some stayed at Coral Hamaca, but they weren't out and about town day or night chasing chicas.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Agreed. Took these pics 2 weeks. We
were asked to leave by Cestur 5 min after.

Still no "cancel" tab -
DELETED
1590870216387.png

1590870284519.png

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Interesting story Playa Alicia, the Miracle Beach.

Only cliffs there before, suddenly mother nature formed a beach.

Miracle Beach is a nickname well deserved, if a bit exaggerated.

While known for its shark sightings due to the trash being dumped here in the 80s (yes, sharks can be the ocean’s raccoons), it was also a popular cliff diving spot. In addition to that, the Waterfront restaurant sat on top of the cliff, with caves running through the cliff. Waves would crash into the cliff side, burst through the caves underneath and a geyser of water would explode out of a hole in the ground. This was a minor tourist attraction for the visitors of the restaurant.

Then in 2003 literally overnight sand washed into the cliff through natural beach nourishment . Over the next few months and years the beach grew and is now one of the nicest and popular beaches in Sosua. On the other hand, the Casa Marina beach next door has strangely shrunk…

Status
Not open for further replies.