The Gringo Report April 8 2016 - You are not in Kansas anymore?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's little things that I would not normally think of that you have to be careful of, like taking your wallet out in front of people or on the street and counting out money or passing it to your wife...etc. Taking a walk in the woods by yourself, reading a book on the riverbank in a secluded spot....etc.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It's little things that I would not normally think of that you have to be careful of, like taking your wallet out in front of people or on the street and counting out money or passing it to your wife...etc. Taking a walk in the woods by yourself, reading a book on the riverbank in a secluded spot....etc.

Speaking of which, did they ever find those people that wandered off into the jungle near Bayahibe, and disappeared? About 4-6 months ago. Maybe German.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Geez. I can't even read that long thing. Maybe later. I don't know where this crap about the DR being paradise comes from. It is not. And, rarely does anyone who posts here say it is. It is just the occasional person who says they came here for a vacation and fell in love with it that says or thinks that - and they plan to move here jjj - then they are rarely heard from again.

The beaches are among the best in the world. And, we have lots of good encounters with our Dominican friends - not so much with gringos. But, that's it. I just want our kids to have a better life than many children here. Simple as that.

The Caribbean is marketed as having paradise locations. Having lived on some of those 'paradise' islands on some of the best beaches in the Caribbean, I can assure you that 'paradise' soon becomes 'rock' once the novelty wears off.

You may decry DR, but I can assure you that as one who has travelled extensively and is a true 'ex pat' living away from 1st World Avenue (and for good reason), this country is so diverse and wonderfully beautiful in many places and has all the ingredients of 'paradise' if you know where to go and make the modest effort required.

Just that a lot of you, and mostly NA's, don't venture as far and often as we Europeans who are more adaptable and better travelers.

There is crime and terrorism now in all the 'paradise' locations you may care to mention and had to be a factor in any relocation decision.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
I found Cdn Gringo's first post on this thread very sad. I love it here, maybe I live in a fool's paradise, but the joy of sitting on the terrace watching the sun rise over our garden is something I could not repeat at home.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous.

I have had no problem with any Dominicans I deal with. I am polite to them and they in turn are polite to me. I can say the same about fellow gringos. When I leave the bank I like to think the security guard with the gun watches me get into my car. This is the only time during the day when I lock the door and close the windows, I too drive straight home despite the inconvenience, but I consider it just common sense.

I don't know anything about our maid or our gardener's families. If they need a loan I ask why and we agree repayment terms from their salaries. I would never charge them interest. My Spanish is abysmal, but I do my best, I don't expect them to speak English.

True something dreadful could happen to me here, but it could equally easily happen in England or anywhere else I was visiting. Any place is what you make of it.

And the weather here is absolutely gorgeous.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Jungle????

Jjj. Yes, more properly known as Parque Nacional del Este. We live at near the eastern part of it. Bayahibe is near the western side of it. I don't remember if the article about the disappearance said jungle, I am sure it said "park." But, it is jungle too. Not a place we casually stroll.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Jjj. Yes, more properly known as Parque Nacional del Este. We live at near the eastern part of it. Bayahibe is near the western side of it. I don't remember if the article about the disappearance said jungle, I am sure it said "park." But, it is jungle too. Not a place we casually stroll.
Never knew DR had jungle.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The Caribbean is marketed as having paradise locations. Having lived on some of those 'paradise' islands on some of the best beaches in the Caribbean, I can assure you that 'paradise' soon becomes 'rock' once the novelty wears off.

You may decry DR, but I can assure you that as one who has travelled extensively and is a true 'ex pat' living away from 1st World Avenue (and for good reason), this country is so diverse and wonderfully beautiful in many places and has all the ingredients of 'paradise' if you know where to go and make the modest effort required.

Just that a lot of you, and mostly NA's, don't venture as far and often as we Europeans who are more adaptable and better travelers.

There is crime and terrorism now in all the 'paradise' locations you may care to mention and had to be a factor in any relocation decision.

I am not "decrying" the DR. We find much to enjoy. It just isn't what I would label paradise. Of course, some parts of it are - we live in view of the beach and there are sunsets sometimes that can't be beat anywhere in the world. Also, when I swim far out in the sea and look back, there is no better place in the world. But, overall, no. When we are not at the beach, we live in and near cities, so that certainly colors my view.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Gringo,

So one question: Why are you still there? Given your analytic abilities I'm sure you can survive there, but it does not sound like you are enjoying life. Maybe it is time to cut your losses (whatever they are) and head back to cooling pastures. You may have a much better appreciation for it after looking into the heart of darkness. I'd suggest start living again, as what you're describing is not any life anyone would choose. Get out and rediscover yourself rather than becoming what you despise.
Take care.

Me? Love, My friend. Like the song: una maldita morena tiene mi coraz?n.

O un otro gringo?

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
WOW............time to GTFOH Isn't something when you look at this place, and realize.....fk it

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Written with great passion and careful analysis. I understand your frustration and I am in awe of your caution. Excellent advice all around. Great post.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The Best Way to Enjoy the DR is not to live full time in the DR.. I could never give up the comforts of the first World. 6 months in the DR and six months back in the First World is the trick.. every year.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Thats DR1. If you advice people to be cautious, some reply: you are a psych, others: move out.
If you get robbed, they say: your own fault, your weren't street smart.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My bff here is a Brit and I am 100% certain Canadian Gringo is not a Brit. Nice guy and no weird accent!

When he was first getting situated here he wrote us several walls of information, and if I remember right it included reports of Ecuador and other places he vetted before coming here.
He told us then where he came from etc....
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thats DR1. If you advice people to be cautious, some reply: you are a psych, others: move out.
If you get robbed, they say: your own fault, your weren't street smart.

move out is always a classic. then when one moves out it turns into YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE HERE!!!!!!! tough crowd, right?